PDA

View Full Version : A lady commented about my autistic son at a garage sale.

saundra
06-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I have to vent. My son Jacob is 3 and he is autistic. He is at a dev. level between 18 months and 36 months and he has very little functional lang.
Jacob does very little arm flapping. He does not scream, or yell. He is a really good kid. Last Saturday I went to a garage sale and they had a bunch of infant, and toddler toys on a blanket. I went picked up a shape shorter (one of Jacobs favorites) and a busy box, because that what Jacob loves, and my goal is to keep Jacob happy. He is challenged all day with services, and love those toys. Jacob was flapping his arms alittle because the wind was blowing in his face. But he was smiling and being quiet. Anyways, There was this grandmother and her 3 year old grandson (I am estimating) and her grandson said to her, I want those toys. The grandmother responded, those toys are for babies or kids like him. She was looking at me and Jacob, and rolling her eyes while she said this. I said to her, "what do you mean, kids like him."
She then said , "Well, your child is different". I was thinking, KEEP IT UP LADY, YOUR ON A ROLL. I paid the lady running the garage sale, and she graciously apologized for the grandmother with her grandson (something she did not have to do,as she did not know the person), and told me my son is beautiful. I left very composed, and got into the car and cried. I was mad and hurt. I told Jacobs special ed teacher about the situation, and she told me. People like that are naive. She also said that with all children, you can not predict the future, and say something happens, and they find their child or grandchild disabled, will they look at children with disabilities differently. I am still upset. Below is Jacobs picture, (please click on the link) now tell me what is there not to love. He is my sweetie. I question now, that this lady said this, what are kids (his peers) going to say or do to him in the future. kids and people are cruel.

http://www.uploadyourimages.com/view/172749jacob_5-22-04_2.jpg

gobs101
06-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Your Jacob is a cutie!!! He is very blessed to have you as his mom! :)

peaceluver
06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) It just amazes me, how are kids ever going to learn not to judge someone by looks, if the adults around them do this. I am so sorry that you were treated so rudely. I applude the woman having the yardsale for trying to make you feel better.

Tigerseye0420
06-16-2004, 04:39 PM
he is adorable hun! Im sorry that that woman had the nerve to say something like that. No offense to the "older generations" here but...being she must be old enough to have witnessed children with autism or other special needs children! You are not alone hun! I have a 18 month old and am told he has "regulatory disorder." This is also a form of autism. He had EVERY sympton on the list for this "regulatory disorder" I wish people would grow up especially the so called "adults" that act 12 when it comes to things like this....Children dont know any better but adults SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

NCgranny
06-16-2004, 04:43 PM
He is such a darling little guy, my grandson is austistic, he is 6. Trust me , I know how cruel and naive some people can be. I have always told my daughter, God only gives special kids to very "special parents".

queenangie
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
You've got a real cutie!

Thank you for sharing his pict w/ us.

Some people like that 'garagesale granny' are just plain clods with no social skills.
What a shame that you got caught in some of her nastiness.
She probably did not have the money to pay for these toys for her grandson
and redirected the problem elsewhere, hitting you square between the eyes.

Had your child been overly tall, overly short, too much hair, too little hair, eye glasses, in a wheelchair, wearing shoes, wearing sandals, with a walker, or any other of 1,000 differences....her rude behavior would have been similar.

Be a duck and let it slide off your back. Probably seeing Mommy crying didn't make your darling son feel any better in the car either. You've got to be strong for him too.
Pat on the back for standing up for your son! You're a super Mom!

Hugs,
Angie

cpbaby
06-16-2004, 04:54 PM
OH! He is a DOLL BABY!

I am so sorry that "lady" said such hurtful things. One of these days that grandchild will say hurtful things about her(age or something) and she will have no one to blame but herself!

ang in NC
06-16-2004, 04:57 PM
My dau Megan is almost 12, she is a high functioning autistic. I get looks all the time. My father in law once said she just needs her tail spank. My mother even says she is mean. I wish they could understand and spend 1 day in our shoes it would be different.
He is a darling child.

saundra
06-16-2004, 04:58 PM
It would be one thing if she asked, if Jacob was OK. I am not afraid to let people know that Jacob is autistic. The way she looked at us, made me feel like, she thought I shouldn't even take Jacob out. Poor Jacob did not say a word, or even make a scene and she still commented. I like taking Jacob out. It is my time out too. We are so boggled down with services during the week, that when we have a opportunity to go out we take it.
My husband said I should of been more firm with the grandmother, but my emotions got the best of me. Thanks for your support. It is nice to know people understand. I need that sometimes.

menanamama
06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
my tot is 4 1/2 and functions (emotionally) at about 19 months. does that make her any less loved? HECK NO! so to all ppl who behave like that lady....go bite some bark!

Elijah'sMommy
06-16-2004, 05:02 PM
This is uncalled for. My son has PDD....when he was 3, they thought he was autistic. He didn't speak at all. After 2 years of specch therapy/behavioral therapy, you couldn't tell at all. Now that he's going in the fist grade, he BARELY qualifed for speech! From the time he was 2 until about 3 1/2, I had some comments made to me, and toward him, as well. What someone else posted is true. God gives truely special children to truely special people. Keep your head up!

DivineMsDi
06-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I am sorry that woman made you cry. You have a special little guy. I know you love him and see him as your child. Some people are just clueless or maybe they are just cruel?

Never give up your boy...he will be your miracle.

freeby4me
06-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I cannot even fatham how that cruel woman could say something like that. Thats sickening to me :( :mad: What is she teaching her grandchild? I think what you did was right, She probably wouldnt have understood if you had tried to make it clear. You have a precious little angel, You are blessed :)

menanamama
06-16-2004, 05:28 PM
now i have a q to pose....
i have been concerned for some time that my tot is autistic.....has just about every symptom and am not sure how to go about getting it diagnosed or finding out what the "problem" is exactly. she is not normal in many way....wicked smart (she can read already and do basic math etc.) but has many difficulties typical of autistic children. any ideas on where to start.

Elijah'sMommy
06-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Depends on how old??? I beleive it varies from state to state, but a good starting point if she's at least 3 is your school distrcit. Many have early intervention preschools and they can do a basic evaluation and refer you on if needed. You can also try your state Dept of Developmental Disabilites...I think its thru Dept of Economic Security. Some states have Early Intervention Programs for kids under 2 thru that also. There are a lot of resourseful people on these boards, I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions for you, too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes....

VALENA-)45
06-16-2004, 05:49 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, i saw the picture of your Jacob. He is a cute little-big man. Pay that lady no mind, she was very rude, which was uncalled for. You will see her again and she may need some help, you and Jacob will be the only people around, go ahead and help her, and ask her if she would like some fries with the crow she is about to eat.

guesswho!
06-16-2004, 05:49 PM
That really is one cute young man! We all have challenges. I dont know why some ppl. seem to think they have the "right" to judge a certain challenge & yet leave others alone. We're all human & doing the best we can. Judging helps no one.

menanamama
06-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Depends on how old??? I beleive it varies from state to state, but a good starting point if she's at least 3 is your school distrcit. Many have early intervention preschools and they can do a basic evaluation and refer you on if needed. You can also try your state Dept of Developmental Disabilites...I think its thru Dept of Economic Security. Some states have Early Intervention Programs for kids under 2 thru that also. There are a lot of resourseful people on these boards, I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions for you, too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes....
i did this already. they did put her in a special class but have no diagnosis. i don't beleive she is merely delayed. i sense something bigger than just having cognitive problems.

ezmoney163
06-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Your son is beautiful. It is people like this woman who make me so mad. It is so ignorant of her to teach the other child prejudice. I am so sorry you had to endure the pain of her ignorance. God bless you and God bless Jacob. Who knows maybe this waman never has had the opertunity to be around a child with autism (SP?) but these are very special children. (((HUGZ)))

JKATHERINE
06-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Don't worry, Saundra. It is obvious that that woman is close-minded and extremely ignorant. Just keep reassuring Jacob of how beautiful and wonderful he is. Keep instilling in him how important he is and how much he means to you. There will always be ignorant people--no matter what the disability or 'difference' is...they always find SOMETHING to pick on. Jacob will learn this later on...but you can help him be a little more prepared by giving him self-confidence. :)

Unicornmom77
06-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Omg I cry for you , what an awfull thing. People can be so cruel!! I am sure your son is a wonderful child, and it doesn't matter what he was doing or how he was acting, she should have never said anything of the sort. AND IN FRONT OF A CHILD??!?!!? OMG!! What kind of example is she setting? Wow, people never cease to amaze me!!

And he is very handsome!!

sparklez
06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
ahhh, reading that mad me want to cry! That is a shame someone would say that, A grown woman no doubt and telling it to her Grandson. I hope he doesn't learn to treat people that way!!
Your son is Adooooooorable!!! ((hugs))

DJ88GIRL
06-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Your son is beauitfulhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/liebe/love-smiley-009.gif That OLD HAG was just Ignorant :mad: I am speaking for the older folks here ;) That is just plain rude :mad: I am sorry that ignorant old hag made you cry :( Hugs to you and your beautiful special blessing.http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/liebe/love-smiley-009.gif

brumzoo
06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
You have a beautiful son! Don't let others' ignorance effect your life. God gave you this special child because he knew that he needed a special Mom. That is you. (((((hugs)))))

vicky122
06-16-2004, 07:10 PM
I have to say if you had just wrote a post about come see my son and I looked ,well let me tell you he looks like any other little boy. A very cute child. I know how cold some people can be sorry you had to hear her say that.

BabyDolla
06-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I am so sorry. Ignorance seemed to run deep there. Your son is beautiful inside and out. A precious gift. I have dealt with people like her years ago. My nephew was born a preemie and had some problems. He is mentally challenged (is there a better, nicer term?) and his Aunt B, my SIL's sister called him a little monster when he was about 2 or 3. That mad me so mad. We were in church and I did the best I could not to hit her.
Ignornace.......argh! :mad:

PS...I don't think I would have been as nice. ;)

joesbaby
06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
first let me say he is beautiful. i see no diffrence in his looks. she was wrong to say that in front of him. jeeze. what a rude person.
next i worked in a developmently dissabled home for over a year. they are the sweetest people most times. and i loved to work with them. both my dd are a bit....well...my older is adhd, dyslexic and bipolar. were not sure about the youngest. i make it a point to talk to every child i see..even if its just hi. thats just me. and in a situation like that, i would have said something to the lady. she had no right. and im sorry she said that to you. take it like this..she was ignorant and close minded...and but for the grace of god, that could have been her child..and imagine how unloved that child may have felt.

have a good day.
ericka

babymaniac
06-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I am sorry that "lady" was so cruel. :( Your son is beautiful. :) Some people can be so awful.One might expect a child to say something so thoughtless as that .But for an adult to do that ,I can only think that her intentions were to be hurtful.Don't worry, it will come back on her ten fold.(((hugs)))

PrincessArky
06-16-2004, 09:00 PM
ah he is a cutie.....the sort of darling i would just wanna pick up and carry home with me :) i have a friend that has a slightly autistic son and my children have never even noticed anything different......i bet that little grandson wouldnt have either if the granny hadn't pointed it out......i just dont see the sense in spreading such stupid ideas :(

twinkiesmom
06-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Your son is precious! I do hafta say . . . and no offense to the older generation here . . that it does seem that the older crowd tend to have a bit of predjudices that they cannot shake. Whether it be against a certain nationality of people or handicaps. I blame this on their upbringing and how it was 'back in the day'. Times have really changed and most of us were brought up to accept handicaps, etc. They teach that acceptance in schools nowadays too. Sweetie . . . u know your boy is precious, and that's all that matters. Don't let ppl's ignorance get you down.

jcw
06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
He is beautiful. Seems some people just get a kick out of saying hateful things and being rude. What goes round comes round it will kick her in the rear one of these days. I'm sorry she hurt your feelings .

LuvBigRip
06-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Being the parent of a special child of my own, I have developed a thick skin. However, me being who I am, I would have looked this "lady" and her grandson in the eye and informed them that there was a special table reserved for people like HER in you know where. :mad:

SouthOSane
06-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Being the parent of a special child of my own, I have developed a thick skin. However, me being who I am, I would have looked this "lady" and her grandson in the eye and informed them that there was a special table reserved for people like HER in you know where. :mad:

yeah "people like her"...

I'm really trying to not thread crap here, BUT I have an issue w/ people who feel some kind of need to comment on children (this totally stems on me having my 4 week old [then] son called "nothing but a N!!!!!!!").
It is grand to go thru life looking and being "NORMAL" it is another to be "DIFFERENT"
It is BEAUTIFUL to be "DIFFERENT" without it the whole world would be bland, your son is BEAUTIFUL, he sees the world in his light, good for him, God blessed him. He will teach you and others things you never thought about...

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}} "granny" needs a few more fries for her happy meal..

mesue
06-17-2004, 12:55 AM
He is adorable, try not to let this stupid womans words bother you. I wish I could tell you that you can protect him from the cruelty of other children and adults but you can't. All of us or most of us can recall being taunted in school about something, mistreated by at least one or two adults whether it be a family member or teacher or a stranger. It happens to all of us. All you can do really is reinforce how much he is loved and try and give him an idea of how some people feel bad about themselves and so they try to make others feel bad about themselves too. Good Luck!

NoFoolPrice
06-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Your Jacob is adorable! That woman was ignorant and I hope you don't let her stupid comments affect you. His pic looks very much like my son when he was little, he grew into a very handsome and sweet young man. You are blessed to have such a fine son. Please don't let other's stupidity hurt you or Jacob, you know what a wonderful guy he is and her comments just show how weak minded she is. Big hugs to both of you!

mlayton1994
06-17-2004, 03:39 AM
He is beautiful. Sometimes you have to let things roll off your back and she probably wasnt very happy at you b/c you were buying the toys that her grandson wanted. ((hugs)).

bell_peaches
06-17-2004, 04:30 AM
He is so cute. I am sorry you and your son had to experience that. (((((HUGS)))))

jonette5
06-17-2004, 07:07 AM
What a cutie! He looks like a real sweetie!

How awful of that woman to say something like that! Don't let it get to you though. Unfortunatly the world is full of morons like her. Just remember God gave that special child to you cuz he knew you are the BEST person in the world to take care of him and love him with all your heart!

sharinbo
06-17-2004, 07:53 AM
There's nothing else I can add...the good people at BBS have said it all. That woman was clueless and ill-mannered and what a shame she's modeling that behavior for her grandchild.
I really just wanted to tell you that your son is absolutely adorable!!!

ttistin
06-17-2004, 08:06 AM
oh wow he is such a cutie!

I dont understand how someone {an adult at that} could be so cruel as to say something like that. I am so sorry. {{Hugs}}

sahmsfreeb
06-17-2004, 08:07 AM
my dh has a saying..
"dont spit in the wind.. itll only come back in your face." someday it will hit her in the face.

i have some pity for that woman. she doesnot understand the joy that comes with your son. she will not know what pure and perfect love is. for her love comes with conditions.

we all carry our own crosses. some people refuse to see the crosses that others bear.

your son is a fine handsome boy.

she was a rude selfish person. the truly sad thing is that she feels and will always feel that she did nothing wrong.

AngelKisse
06-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi first off all I wanted to say your son is a cutie! I can somewhat understand a little of what you are going through. I have a daughter who is 9 she has epilepsy and from past seizures she has had she developed brain damage. She looks like a normal 9 yo, and acts mostly like a 9 yo but with her school wise she is supposed to be going into 4th grade and is at about a 1st-2nd grade level. She is in special Ed and in her class there are kids who are autistic, have downs syndrome, or have learning disabilities in general. Each one of those kids are so special they are very loving kind children, more so then any other kid there age I have met.

People can say some or the meanest stupidest things I have taken the role of feeling sorry for them. Most people who meet my daughter are draw to her and can pick up her loving heart so if they aren't going to take the time to see that or just blow it off as that she isn't all "there" I don't want my daughter around them anyway.

I too worry about the future a lot and what her peers will say kids can be mean. I just take it one step at a time and deal with each situation as it comes up. There are 2 things that help me along with this. That is one she choose this life for one reason or another she had something her little soul needed to learn in this life. The second is God won't throw us anything we can't handle..this is for both us and the kids.

All I can say is HUGS and remember how much your son has blessed your life and try not to let them upset you because they will never be given the chance to know how wonderful your son is.

Take care,
Misty

Crick
06-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Just wanted to add that you handled yourself with grace and class. As an "old fart" that grandmother does not represent the majority. I hope we all could have handled the situation as well as you did. I dare say most of us, myself included, would have told the woman a few things she wouldn't want to hear. You have an adorable young man and are right to be proud of him. Don't worry about others. You are teaching your son manners and social skills that many people ave forgotten. I'm sorry it upset you but I'm sure any parent would have been given the same circumstance. You and your son are truely blessed to have each other!

gonnascream
06-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I have an autistic daughter, she's 4. Mentally though, she's around 2, maybe 2 & 1/2. I love her to death, would not trade her for the world. Yes I have had comments made about her, why she acts like she does, why she always carries her care bear with her ect. You learn to grow thick skin. But really it's the parents fault if a child isn't taught not to say something cruel about another kids disabilities.

My cousin, who was about 7 at the time, called my daughter a "stupid little retard"in front of everybody at christmas. His father, my uncle, took him outside and wore his butt out and told him if he ever heard him say something like that again he would not make it to 8. WHile I don't condone child abuse, I agree with setting a child straight.

Tasha405
06-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Don't worry, Saundra. It is obvious that that woman is close-minded and extremely ignorant. Just keep reassuring Jacob of how beautiful and wonderful he is. Keep instilling in him how important he is and how much he means to you. There will always be ignorant people--no matter what the disability or 'difference' is...they always find SOMETHING to pick on. Jacob will learn this later on...but you can help him be a little more prepared by giving him self-confidence. :) ITA!

You have a handsome little boy! :D

cole70
06-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Jacob is such a cutie!

That woman was just plain ignorant.

((HUGS))

Vanilla
06-17-2004, 09:25 AM
When I looked at the photo of your beautiful son, the first thing that came to mind when I looked in his eyes is that he is an "old soul" (which means he has been here before) and he chose you for his mother this time around. What an honor! I cried when I read what that woman said. You handled yourself well (better than I would have). I apologize for her and to all the other wonderful BBS mothers who have been on the receiving end of ignorance. We are living in different times. Be strong.

rlynn411
06-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Your son is so adorable. Its really sad that people can be so cruel. I always use to think the older people were kinder but as I've gone through life I have come to realize that is not true. That womans behavior is just unacceptable. You handled the situation better than most would of and you should take pride in that, and for being blessed with such a wonderful child.

littlebuggy
06-17-2004, 09:47 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how cold, and unfeeling people can be. He is beautiful, and he should only be reminded of such. As adults we are supposed to teach children that everyone is equal, not to put people or children down. There is nothing "wrong" with him. He just needs a little extra love, don't they all. My son is almost 3, and he hasn't started talking yet. He babbles, and makes all kinds of noises, but no real words. (except for mom, and mamma; especially when he wants something :rolleyes: ) I have heard people make comments, or give him odd looks because he doesn't talk, and it hurts me so much. My son is wonderful, loving, and so dear to me. He is very smart, understands everything I ask him to do, interacts with people well, and loves to cuddle. He just doesn't want to talk. Our children are gifts, and they are all "different", we should love, and respect, them all the same!!

P.S.
you handled it better than I would have. When it comes to my kids, I'm ready to pull my claws out at a moments notice. TeeHee

DOOFIS
06-17-2004, 02:49 PM
OMG! He is such a cutie. That woman was just a rotten old lady. Don't worry about how kids are going to be because I don't know about where you live but around here the kids are intermixed in school now and I am sure the kids notice that some others might be different but they play with them just the same. I work in an inclusion preschool class and they all play together they don't make fun of each other or anything.

My son is 7 but he is only 39 inches tall and weighs 36 pounds. Most people think he is 4. I had a birthday party for him a couple months ago and one parent in particular had never met my son. When he saw him he said wow he's a short one hun. He is so small. Wow are you a midget? If there weren't other parents and kids there I would have punched the guy right in the head. My son is just small because he has a heart condition and we were told he will always be smaller than the other kids. He stays the same size for about a year then he gains like 3 pounds grows 3-4 inches and then stays that way for another year. But the kids in school love him. They baby him. They all want to take care of him.

llbriteyes
06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
You have an absolutely beautiful God given son. I know you are proud of him, as you should be. That woman was ignorant.

I grew up with a handicapped brother. He had cerebral palsy and was in a wheelchair most of his life. I always took him everywhere with me. When people would stare or say something to me, and I told Mother, she said to me, "Everyone has some handicap. In some people, it shows." I am sure now that she meant people like that woman. Her handicap showed in her ignorance and stupidity.

Thank God we aren't ignorant that way. I really do think God give us these beautiful children because we have the love and compassion needed for them to live happy lives.

Don't ever doubt yourself. You're a wonderful person.

Dolly<3
06-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Awww! I love Jacob! He's so precious!

People like her are a dime a dozen. Your son is priceless. I know it hurts, but there's nothing wrong with him being "different" from other kids. He's special.

I'm glad he's not old enough to understand how she meant what she said. Someday he will be though, and he needs to learn it's not something to cry over, be ashamed of, or sad about. He's so wonderful... I just want to squeeze him!! Give him a hug for me. :)

jen-ron
06-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Oh! Hes a DOLL! You should be so proud of him! Every child is special in their own way and its people like the grandmother who teach kids to be hateful. {HUGZ} Dont let ppl like that(ignorant) you get you down, you know hes your Angel and thats all that matters. God bless you both!

tsquared
06-17-2004, 07:02 PM
What a cutie you have there!!!!!!!!!! he looks like he is ready to go paly on the swings or merry go round and i wouldnt hesitate a second to take him and listen to his laughs!! Talk is cheap..............love is thicker than anything!

DezaRay24
06-17-2004, 07:58 PM
He is CUTE!!! You can't even for one moment tell that anything is "diffrent" or is not "diffrent" about him.

Who is to say that all us "normal" people arn't the ones with problems? Children who have disabilities are the real true angels in this world and the ones that don't know no hate and don't have a bad word to say about anyone. If anyone is more like Jesus it is them!!!

bpl76
06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
What a little angel!!!! Hey, kid, he looks great to me. Unfortunately, I am one of the "old fart grannies", actually great grannie and I would NEVER say such a thing about any child. All of us oldies are not ignorant. :-) I feel sorry for the poor child who has to grow up with that kind of person as a role model. I commend you on your self restraint. YOU are a good role model!!! You are teaching your little angel self respect and respect for others. One tiny little bit of advice, if anything like that ever happens again, try not to cry in front of Jacob. He does not understand and could very easily get the idea that you are crying because of him and not for him. I am sure you don't want him to feel it is HIS fault you are crying. Hope you see what I mean there. He is a doll. If you need a break at anytime, just ship him out to me. You can have a vacation and Jacob and I could have a ball here on the farm. I am sure he would enjoy all the animals and love to help with the "chores". :-) All kids, no matter what age or mentality, size or shape, color or creed, seem to have a great time out here with "Bama and Papa". You can come also if you like. LOL Keep the faith, dear.

redrig
06-18-2004, 09:10 AM
All that stupid witch of a grandmother had to say was "that lady's already buying it, maybe we can find something else". End of story. People like that are so ignorant :mad: . I hope her grandson's mother isn't as ignorant as the grandmother is.

My DBF's sister is mentally challenged...she's 40 and functions on a 5 year old level. But she's a good person, loves to sing, draw, loves to swim...if we ever took her anywhere and someone said something like that within earshot of me they'd be unzipping their fly to eat. Providing there was anything left of them when DBF got through with them. ;)

voodidit
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
I know I'm new but he's beautiful! I grew up with a cousin who is severly retarded, he can do nothing for himself and I was brought up to think that when someone said that someone was "special" they really where special, and I think your son is definately a special and good looking youg man!

jinydale
06-18-2004, 02:04 PM
He is soooo cute.
I have a nephew who is autistic. He is 10 yrs old now. We get the same thing all the time. His name is Adam. He claps his hands together and bounces on his toes. It does get agravating when people stare and usher their kids away from him real quick. Like it is contagious or something. But he is the sweetest most loving kid I know. These kids are so special and unique and people seem to be afraid of them. Adam has language skills of a 1 yr. old. But he can fix anything you put infront of him. These kids are so amazing, if people would be open minded and caring enough to take the time and get to know them, then they would realize what a blessing it is to be around them. Adam is with me alot, he was the first child born to any of my siblings. He has taught me to be more patient and understanding. He is teaching my kids compassion and to accept people for who they are, which is so lacking in our children today. Our family is so blessed to have him in our lives, as I sure he is to yours. So keep your head up, don't feel sorry for him, feel sorry for the the people who are ignorant and who are missing out on the kind of love,amazing experiences and acceptance that a special needs child gives so unconditionally and freely.

momfromTN
06-18-2004, 04:29 PM
I have an autistic daughter, she's 4. Mentally though, she's around 2, maybe 2 & 1/2. I love her to death, would not trade her for the world. Yes I have had comments made about her, why she acts like she does, why she always carries her care bear with her ect. You learn to grow thick skin. But really it's the parents fault if a child isn't taught not to say something cruel about another kids disabilities.

My cousin, who was about 7 at the time, called my daughter a "stupid little retard"in front of everybody at christmas. His father, my uncle, took him outside and wore his butt out and told him if he ever heard him say something like that again he would not make it to 8. WHile I don't condone child abuse, I agree with setting a child straight.

Spanking is not child abuse. I think your uncle did the right thing.

ebgreen74
06-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Your son is adorable-!! I'm not just saying that to be nice either, his pic truly brought a smile to my face when i saw it-he's a cutie!

wubbywa
06-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Boy your little guy wouldnt have any cheeksleft if he was mine. I would have kissed and pinched those cheeks(thats not in a mean way). I guess you need to prepare yourself for other peoples ignorance (sp). You just keep taking that little guy out in public doing the normal everyday stuff and expose him to normal life. Next time when someone is so ignorant look at them and picture a jack a$$ and laugh in there face. I feel for you, but just keep on loving that sweet cheek little guy.

CHERNL
06-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I guess I just don't see what was so rude about what was said. If the OP was buying the toys, then they WERE for 'kids like him', no insult at all. Sorry that it upset you so much, but I might have said something along the same lines, if my dot had asked for toys inappropriate for her age, or that someone else needed more. I would probably have said, "why don't we let that little boy have them?" Please, I don't want flaming, I want to understand.

freebielover
06-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I think that the way the lady said the phrase was derogatory like her grandson was so much better than the toys type of thing, as the children were the same age. I just have to say, your son is such a cutie! Who cares what people say, to people like that, no one is perfect but themselves! Good luck!

saundra
06-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi

The grandmother looked at Jacob and I and rolled her eyes. Jacob was flapping his hands, because of the wind. It might of looked odd to some people. She did say it nasty. Even the garage sale lady was taken back. I was not the only one who picked up on the comment and the looks. If the lady asked me nicely, "Is your son OK. I would of said graciously, "yes, he has autism and some sensory issues, and left it at that. She looked at us like we shouldn't have been there.

starlynn
06-22-2004, 07:19 AM
:) Your son is a cutie!! :)

I have a cousin with autism and for the first few years of life all he did was scream. The only way they could get him to calm down was to put in one of his favorite videos. That grandmother was very rude. Unfortunately, there are alot of others out there like her. I just hope her grandson doesn't turn out like that. I tell people all the time, that if there is only one thing in this world I'm going to teach my kids, it is not to judge people by the way others look or act. My kid so far are doing good. We have a neighbor kid that my kids play with that has learning disablities and no one else in the neighborhood plays with her. Her mother has told me more than once how nice it is of them to play with her.

:) God loves all his children!! :)