PDA

View Full Version : My Swearing 7yr old punishment advice please!!

lynde
06-12-2004, 08:02 PM
My 7 yr old son was caught swearing today. We are talking the f word along with some other phrases that I cannot even put here. We have grounded him for 1 week of not going outside to play-which is a HUGE punishment in itself to him. However, I really want to teach him a lesson. We have already done soap and tabasco in the mouth on previous occasions. This time he has gone too far and these do not seem hard enough. So...I have been racking my brain all night and cannot come up with anything that will be forever a reminder of this incident. Your suggestions are desperately needed.

Thanks All

bulldog6186
06-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Do you swear around him? I am asking because I do slip and swear around my kids at times, and I do catch them slipping as well, so I don't punish them because they do get it honestly :o

Now, if you don't swear yourself, I don't know what to tell you.

Urban Cowgirl
06-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Well her hubby is a sailor!!! J/k LOL

Seriously though at that age my Mom would have grounded me for at least a month. I think the punishment depends on the kid.....to me being grounded was pure torture....I used to ask my parents can't you just spank me instead!!!LOL And you have to make sure whatever punishment you choose stick to it or your son won't ever learn a lesson. Best of Luck to you.

ahippiechic
06-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Mine is 3, and she said the B word one day, but I just couldn't spank her for it, 'cuz she heard it from me! I put her in time out for a little while, and tried explaining that grownups sometimes say things that little kids can't and for her not to say it again, 'cuz it's not a nice word

I got beat for cursing when I was a kid, and it didn't keep me from doing it. I was just careful who i did it around.

Donnagg123
06-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Do you swear around him? I am asking because I do slip and swear around my kids at times, and I do catch them slipping as well, so I don't punish them because they do get it honestly

I agree :) We went thru that phase as well. My son was saying darn it (but not darn). So I just told him we do not say (blank) it we say oh darn. He just grew out of saying the words 'cause we did not make such a big deal. Now he gets on to me if I slip, lol. HTH

lynde
06-12-2004, 10:08 PM
OK-we do swear and we don't make a big deal out of it--Language edited. Please do not alter the profanity filter.occasionally-maybe once in a blue moon the f-word. What my son to neighbor girls is totally unacceptable. I wish I could just say what he said. I won't partly because I am totally embarrassed that he said it period. I don't know where he heard it, but it wasn't here. And I am in shock that he even knew what he was saying. So let me re-phase my post;) I need a really good punishment besides the grounding for a child that has said something really really bad. I know someone has one.

BTW jaynbobbi my dh was a truckdriver before he was in the Navy :p :p

twinkiesmom
06-12-2004, 11:37 PM
i've done soap on my boy when he was 6 and at first I did liquid soap. Can't remember what he said but I moved to bar soap. I think I asked if it tasted nasty and he said no. lol so I got out the ivory bar soap. Haven't hadta punish for swearing after that. So far. I agree w/sticking to the punishment tho. Maybe he'll learn. Good luck.

justme23
06-12-2004, 11:55 PM
He said the C word, didn't he? I think, and I'm not a parent, that if you really want to use an effective punishment of any kind that you too have to stop using curse words. I'm w/ hippie, I used to get beat for doing it and all I learned was just to be careful who I did it around. My hubby is disgusted by my mouth... he says I use words that no lady should ever say. I say I'm just getting it over w/ now before we have kidlets. Anyways... the most effective punishment that was EVER used on me was sitting on a chair in front of my bedroom door from the moment I got up until it was time to go to bed. I could not read, I could not sleep, I could not play... I was lucky to go to the bathroom... I'm tellin ya, a weekend spent like that will convince just about anybody!

gemini26
06-13-2004, 12:17 AM
I have found soap works well. I use liquid and don't allow them to rinse. It only took one time with my oldest and my youngest a few times. Plus I also use other words like gosh darn it or friggin.

bulldog6186
06-13-2004, 05:51 AM
If he said what I am thinking he said to a girl, maybe the best punishment would have been for the girl to punch him in the mouth :eek:

Denise1972
06-13-2004, 05:57 AM
I dont agree with the liquid soap deal... My former BIL did this to my neice and he ended up making her choke on it and she couldnt breathe. My sister was SO mad.

LitWtch
06-13-2004, 06:23 AM
You are talking about a 7 year old, right? At 7, they understand right from wrong and the "corporal punishment", such as soap/ tabasco just doesn't phase them. They DO understand words, and you should lay it on the line. Let him know what is and is not acceptable behavior, and the consequences that go with the offensive behavior. THEN STICK TO THEM!

VALENA-)45
06-13-2004, 06:26 AM
ok, since he is grounded for a week , how about no tv, or playing video games and no dessert, and an hour of standing in the corner, everyday. and make him apologize to the girl he spoke to, and he has to do that everyday, too. when you see the girl, outside, call her over and tell her you son has something he wants to say to her. the soap deal only works a few times, and then the kids are back at it. my youngest son had a filthy mouth, he ate soap, and he drank soap 3 times each, i got tired and told him next time he would be sucking on a brillo pad (a wet one). he stopped cussing.

MamaFairal
06-13-2004, 10:49 AM
If he said what I am thinking he said to a girl, maybe the best punishment would have been for the girl to punch him in the mouth :eek:

TV~Video Games~Music.......its all to blame i think.
Punishing him isnt gonna do a thing if its been done before(i think you said you had right?)

Let the girl smack him :)

sahmsfreeb
06-13-2004, 12:25 PM
my son swore once... just once.. i used dawn dishwashing liquid instead of bar soap.. the vet said it is safe to wash you cat so i figured my son wouldnt go blind (ala christmas story)
after the soap.. it was a loss of all privilages..
a privilage is anything that isnt required by law. and my son knows this...

food shelter and clothing.

desserts gone
games toys tv gone
a week after i told him if i ever heard those words again he would write them 100 times and the grounding would be 2 weeks.

all this for the s word. i have zero tolerance for potty mouth.

VALENA-)45
06-13-2004, 12:27 PM
TV~Video Games~Music.......its all to blame i think.
Punishing him isnt gonna do a thing if its been done before(i think you said you had right?)

Let the girl smack him :)Mama~ that is a better idea. it will embaress him and he probly won't say it again. boys don't like to be embaressed.

LuvBigRip
06-13-2004, 12:46 PM
If his language was directed specifically towards this little girl, can he be sentenced to community service in her favor? Maybe do a few of her chores that week. Better yet, if she is the same age, I bet she loves tea parties with her friends, maybe he could be the matre de' at the party. Just something to remind him of what the punishment is for. We all know that kids are members of the short attention span theatre unless it is something they want to do. Maybe, you could also include the cleaning up of your own language. A quarter jar, that you contribute to when you slip up. Then, use the money for something fun. That way, he understands how serious it is when you and your DH decide to make a change as well.

dangitall
06-13-2004, 04:30 PM
I have a 4 year old grandson with a potty mouth. Not because we say it but because he hears it somewhere else. All we do is say thats a bad word. Now he asks is this a bad word????. We just say YEP!! and now he thinks shutup is a bad word

mommyx2
06-13-2004, 05:03 PM
If his language was directed specifically towards this little girl, can he be sentenced to community service in her favor? Maybe do a few of her chores that week.

Now THAT is the best one I have heard yet! It is not like all the normal punishments, and I really think that might teach him something!