PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you take herbs to regulate *that time of the month?*

DivineMsDi
06-11-2004, 09:58 AM
I am darn well determined NOT to go the b/control route or get any surgery, so I would like to try some natural herbs or supplements to help regulate my periods. I occasionally have a heavy one when it's a few weeks late. (This month I had it late, took forever to come on, and now won't go away. I know it is hormonal. I had a horrible headache and was sick last week (I also get this every few months). I don't like non-natural methods, so I will not do pills/patches and so on for long term.

I have been to the gyno about 3 times already this year.... :( and due to go for the old checkup/sono when I call up again...

I'm 38. I am looking for suggestions on herbs/supplements that helped you. I already take iron pills every day.

Thanks...any suggestions are welcomed.

nanajoanie
06-11-2004, 10:05 AM
My sister, 57 and my daughter, 43 both swear by 'black cohosh'. One likes Natrol. The other gets it much cheaper at herbal stores. It helps regulate, controls night sweats, hot flashes, makes cramps and stuff milder. Ask the pharmacist at your drug counter or go to an herbal center. Good luck :)

captorquewrench
06-11-2004, 10:09 AM
black coshosh root, false unicorn, agnus vitex.

iron: are you taking "traditional" iron tabs or a natural form? the iron tabs in most vitamins are from scrap metal sources, is way too much, and can deposit on your liver and cause hemorrhoids and other problems. I swear by Floradix. It's from a natural plant source your body can absorb better than most iron supplements and also contains a B complex.

mommyx2
06-11-2004, 10:14 AM
YES!! Black Cohosh is the way to go! I don't take mine like I should anymore because sometimes I just can't stomach the taste, but it DOES work! I have a tincture though, pills (all pills, not just black cohosh) make me gag so bad that I just can't take them unless I just HAVE to, so I bought the tincture and it tastes NASTY! Ever since I had my tubes tied my periods have been horrible. Not only was I not starting on time, but I had horrible cramps and way heavier periods. I have heard raspberry tea is supposed to be good for that too, but I don't know personally.

janelle
06-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Whatever you take, be sure to tell your doctor you are taking it when you see him. It does affect what they do for you.

Thawn
06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I used to take gonadotropin in a capsule when I had bad cramps. Worked great!