PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!! We're being invaded!!!!!!!!

aimefisher
05-29-2004, 05:37 PM
BY MOTORCYCLES!!!

It's PAPPY'S RUN tomorrow and I can ALREADY hear the motorcycles all over.

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=54E5801E-8093-4233-8DF5-97D0F9F08319

Pappy's Run Kick Starts On Sunday Morning

Published on 5/29/2004

Thousands of motorcyclists will roar through Waterford, New London and Montville Sunday morning in the 29th annual Pappy's Run.

The parade, which will start at 11 a.m. from Waterford Cinemas, commemorates the late Donald “Pappy” Pittsley, a legendary biker who crusaded against anti-motorcycling laws.

“We want everything to be safe, and ask everybody to bear with it and behave and ride carefully and safely,” said organizer Bill “Fats” Shallcross.

Shallcross is expecting 3,000 bikers to ride from the cinema up the crossroads to Route 1 and into New London. Once in the city, the route will go down Bank Street onto Water Street and along Route 32 into Montville, where it will end at Pappy's grave in the Comstock Cemetery.

The parade usually holds up traffic for 45 minutes as it proceeds, and police are urging motorists to take alternate routes or be patient.

Officer Edmund Hedge urged strict adherence to motor vehicle laws.

“We want to emphasis motorcycle safety,” Hedge said. “Just because they are doing this doesn't give them a free run. It doesn't exempt them from motor vehicle laws. It's a parade permit.”

Stash's Café on Pequot Avenue will feature live music after the run.

Willow
05-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Twice a year the bikers do some type of a run and they go right by our street. My son likes watching them from the window. About 10 years ago I was in Laconia for bike week. That was fun. Some of the female passengers do some crazy things. lol

amysusi
05-30-2004, 08:56 AM
When I lived in the California desert, I could hear all the bikes down on the highway from my house - which was more than 5 miles away!! You always knew when it was time for the Laughlin run!! We lived kinda up on a hill from the highway, and it sounded like they were on our street, but you could see them all little bitty way down on the highway.

aimefisher
05-30-2004, 10:03 AM
It's actually worse now. The run is done and now they are all over.

amysusi
05-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Want some ear plugs?

tommyjo
05-30-2004, 06:22 PM
AMISUSIE, where did you live in the CA desert? I grew up and attended school in Borrego Springs, happen to know where that is?

amysusi
05-30-2004, 08:23 PM
AMISUSIE, where did you live in the CA desert? I grew up and attended school in Borrego Springs, happen to know where that is?
I kinda know where that is, my great grandmother used to live in Anza. I lived in Joshua Tree.

aimefisher
05-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Want some ear plugs?

I could definitely use some. They are still roaring by........

buttrfli
05-31-2004, 07:02 AM
At our Toy run last year there were over 10,000 bikers.. it was a blast!!! I didn't ride in last years, but they went past our house, so I took the girls out to watch, and they had so much fun :)

It took approx 4. 5 hours from the 1st to the last cycle.

Tasha405
05-31-2004, 08:15 AM
Oh my hubby would just love it! He loves Harleys :)

labgeek
06-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Did anyone happen to catch the Rolling Thunder ride this past Sunday in DC? Now, that was an amazing sight to see-and very moving-all of the veterans young and old in one place in honor of Memorial Day.