PDA

View Full Version : My Mom's House Broken Into

cSoReNSoN
05-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Update @ End!

Ugggggggggggh, my mom calls at 9pm saying her house has been broken into. It had to have occurred after she left last night and came back this evening. The idiot(s) got the big tv in the livingroom, the brand new dvd player, vcr from livingroom, broken (tape stuck in it-very old-barely works) vcr in bedroom, left 13 inch new tv inbedroom, and whatever else I dunno yet. I've called offering suggestions of items to look for, but she's obviously cranky. Apparently her jewelry boxes have been ransacked. Thankfully, most the jewelry is costume, but it's the awesome vintage kind from my grandmother and great garndmother so it is not replaceable. I just hope her wedding ring from my father was not stolen, as that is certainly unreplaceable.

I just cannot believe that her neighbors did not notice the odd car and starnger(s) carrying out large tvs. The loud glass shattering should have been rather loud. Just from what she ahs told me it appears the individual(s) broke her large side kitchen window, climbed through and then unlocked the door. I am unsure if her garage was also victimized as it would be a huge gain for the idiot(s) involved. The garage is loaded with my late grandfather's tools, riding mower, bikes, etc. I'm surprised the idiot(s) didn't try to take the boat while he/she/they were having a grand time.

Sorry for the vent, but this is just so annoying as she was straightening up her house to get the sercurity alarm installed.

Update:
I understand her being cranky as it's justified, it just didn't come across correctly when I typed it! Turns out one jewelry box is gone. The majority of the contents was costume/antique jewelry, along with her wedding ring. This jewelry held sentimental value as it was given as a high school graduation gift to her in 1968 from a dear family friend. Another jewelry box thrown on the floor. A bank dumped out on the floor and broken. I guess the contents were good enough for them as they left the money. Also,large sum in bank cds gone (were in a locked box). They were in the back of her closet. I will be going over later today to help identify missing objects and clean up the mess.

I am upset with the inadequate police work. The police did not take any fingerprints. The police officer said because it rained there would be none on the window, which I understand. But After the idiot(s) broke the large side window and climded through the window, the back door had to opened! I have to believe some fingerprints would be on the inside, on the door handle! The tv was on an entertainment center, along with the vcr and dvd player in the livingroom, so I have a hard time believing no prints would be left there, as well. Oh, the garage appears untouched, It has a normal house door on the side attachment and big door. Funny thing is it doesn't lock well, and the side door is an old house door that has the panels of glass. It would have been an easy break-in, but then again these criminals weren't the smartest as they took a broken vcr with a tape that had been stuck for years with "All My Children" on it. ha

I am probably mostly curious as to how the neighbor next door to the kitchen window that was broken into did not see or hear anything! The houses are only separated by our driveway! I certainly believe that glass shattering would be difficult to ignore. But the fact that is most astonishing is that somebody had to ahve climbed through the kitchen window to unlock the door! The back door is steel with no window and the window is a bit far from the door lock, so unless this idiot was stretch armstrong I dunno how he/she could have gottent hrough other than climbing through the shattered window! Plus, the screen on the window would have been needed to be cut to get through the window. I wonder how a strange car and individuals walking out the house carrying tvs, dvd players, vcrs, jewelry boxes, security boxes could go unnoticed. I think I will be asking the neighbors some questions since the cops opted not to ask anything. My mom was scared and called 9-1-1, but it took them 30-35 minutes to come things out. I understand it was certainly not an emergency, but 30-35 minutes seems a bit long to wait for police response in a fairly small geographically sized city.

I guess the positives are: the broken vcr is now gone, nobody was hurt, the cds can be replaced, home owners insurance is good, essentially everything but the jewelry can be replaced. I believe in karma, so these individual(s) are gonan get his/hers/theirs someday!

Angel Lips
05-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I am sorry to hear that. i hope that your mom calms down and that there is a way to get the idiots caught.. *hugs* sorry i dont have much to say i never experienced something like that.

bell_peaches
05-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Vent away. I know how you all feel. Mom will be cranky she is a victim probley doesn't feel safe . She propley would be upset that nobody heard them braking in. I was robbed 3 years ago. First your mad then your scared but remeber nobody was hurt.It could have been worse.Hope they can get some of her stuff back. Hopefully had insurance. Let mom be cranky its her way of dealing with it now. prayers sent to you all

MamaFairal
05-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Wow i am so sorry :(
Why do people have to steal? Arrgghh!

They must have known she was gone or cased the place to be able to get big screen TV's out.that doesnt sound like a quick in/out job.You mentioned a garage...is it a front side garage.......driveway out front.....how could they not be seen??

I wouldnt be too friendly with the neighbors if i were her after this...How could they not notice things being removed from the house.
When ya see Mom give here a BIG BIG hug for us ok :)

VALENA-)45
05-22-2004, 05:05 AM
Oh, I Am Sorry That Your Mom Was Robbed. I Don't Understand Why The People That Live On Her Block Didn't Notice Something Going On. Somebody Knew She Was Leaving, And Would Not Be Back Any Time Soon. When She Calms Down Ask Her Who Did She Talk To. Tell Her To Tell The Police, Who She Spoke To Before She Left. Sorry For Her Lost.

schsa
05-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Start checking the pawn shops and the flea markets in your area. If you spot your stuff, call the police and tell them that you have found your stuff. Your mother's insurance will cover the appliances. The rest will show up in flea markets or second hand shops.

freeby4me
05-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Even though they werent the smartest criminals I believe they wouldnt have left finger prints. They would have been wearing gloves. What time did this happen? Perhaps the neighbors werent home?? Is this turning into a bad neighborhood? That might explain why nobody called.
Im just glad your mom wasnt home, Things could have turned out much worse. Hopefully they'll find your mothers jewelry, Like Schsa said, Start checking pawn shops and what-not, Thats most likely where you'll find the stuff.

cSoReNSoN
05-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Yup, the police said to check out the pawn shops. Apparently, it was the small window above the sink which is in the backyard that was the point of entry initially. I'll be heading over later to help with the clean up process, but her bedroom was trashed badly. One dresser on its side, the tv on the floor, etc. Grrrrrrrr, insurance adjuster won't call back until Monday. Well, according to one neighbor, it must have occurred during the day as her dogs never barked during the night when she was home. These dogs stay outside in the yard 24/7 and she said she always looks out her bedroom window if the dogs bark. I have suggested to my mom about having a different police officer come out to attempt fingerprinting since the officer last night opted not to be bothered, but we'll see!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts!!

AngelGrim
05-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I am sorry for what happened to your mom, that is so awful, hugs to you and her, and may the thieves be caught and get back what they did in a worse way!!

CatrinaF25
05-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I am sorry this happened 2 you. the police office may not do finger prints if anything was touched AFTER they robbed her. I am sure he is doing what he is told 2. hugs huney

archaic
05-23-2004, 02:37 AM
It could have been an inside job such as a neighbor or relative. I was house sitting for a friend some years ago and the very first day the house was broken into. I had gone to the store and came back to find the door ajar and a strange vehicle in the driveway. The german shephard wasn't barking which was very strange so I thought that it might be her sister. I went in to find "stuff" piled up by the door and watched as her nephew came out of the bedroom carrying more booty. Seems the boy had a drug habit to support. The neighbors didn't say anything because they had seen him around the house before.

cSoReNSoN
05-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Yeah, we talked the a neighbor across the street and she suggested the kid next door or one of his friends. She is/was the lunch lady the at one the junior highs and knows who the kids are hanging around with during lunch. She noticed this particular kid hanging around quite often wiith the neighbor kid. It seems a feesible thought as his dad would be gone during the day, the neighbor with the dogs on the other side would be gone as well during the day. This neighbor also thought it could have occurred during the big storm Friday afternoon. The window was three panes on top of one anotehr and the idiot(s) went through the middle section, so this leads me to believe they had to be rather small. I also looked at the position of the window chosen for the breakin and where it was located on the house was perfect, as my mom's house is positioned furtehr up, so both neighbor house blocked the view of any individual at the window, and the garage blocked the view of any of the neighbors behind us. Good news though is I did locate my mom's jewelry box she thought was missing. So, now it looks like just the dvd player (brand new-never used), 19 inch tv, two vcrs, part of my grandpa's coin collection, his ring, his watch, and cds from the bank. The bank could not believe anybody would bother stealing bank cds as only my mom or I can cash them at the bank and i.d. is required. This is anotehr reason I think the criminals were inexperienced as they also left two 13 inch tvs and left all my mom's jewelry, granted the majority is costume from my grandmother and great grandmother. I also located my grandfather's WWII medals, so she was relieved. Needless to say, the neighbors are nervous and will keep an eye on the house, along withn theirs. The neghbors were quite shocked as it is a good, middle class neighborhood in the suburbs. Thankfully, the majority of items can and will be replaced, but it's still quite a hassle!

Tasha405
05-23-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to your mom. :( Hopefully someone can figure out who done it and make them pay.