PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb is great for dieters but don't forget the calories

Mini
05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
If you follow the dieting trends, then you know, low fat is out and low carb is in. During the low fat craze, we dropped fat intake from about 40 percent in 1990 to 36 percent today, but we still gained weight. The reason: everyone forgot to count calories. Doctors fear we may be making the same mistake with low carb diets. Here's a tip: whatever you wind up eating, remember to count your calories. To lose weight, you must burn more than you're taking in.

(on local news website)

BigLyd1
05-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, this might be true for some people. Since October I've been following the Atkins WOE, and even with taking a break from it for about three weeks.... I haven't counted calories at all... and I've lost 80 lbs. :)

Wow, 80 lbs.?! Congratulations, that's great. :)

DBackFan
05-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I don't count calories either and I have lost 40! ;)

Momof2totsand1teen
05-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Never have counted calories on my low carb diet. I only had about 15 pounds to lose, but on Low carb maintence I stay a size 3/4. I have heard that calories do count for some people on low carb diets though.

bears984
05-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Never have counted calories on my low carb diet. I only had about 15 pounds to lose, but on Low carb maintence I stay a size 3/4. I have heard that calories do count for some people on low carb diets though.

:eek: A size 3/4 I wasn't that size even when I was at my smallest! at that size you don't have to worry about weight!!!!!!!!

Katt
05-21-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks Mini ;)

I'm one of the ones that watch my calories along with the lc part. I also workout, in some way, regularly also. I think it all goes hand in hand, but also, I'm one of the ones that has to fight hard to drop a few, so it helps me. I also don't eat large amounts of fat either though like you can while on lc. I don't like fried foods, and I definitly don't touch the fat on meat. *gags* So, the only fat I do get in my meals, is that which is IN the meal itself ;) Which helps keep my calories in check :D

There are so many factors to work with changing your WOE that it helps to know all the extra ways to help each individual. It's a YMMV (your mileage may very) type of thing, :)

janelle
05-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks Mini ;)

I'm one of the ones that watch my calories along with the lc part. I also workout, in some way, regularly also. I think it all goes hand in hand, but also, I'm one of the ones that has to fight hard to drop a few, so it helps me. I also don't eat large amounts of fat either though like you can while on lc. I don't like fried foods, and I definitly don't touch the fat on meat. *gags* So, the only fat I do get in my meals, is that which is IN the meal itself ;) Which helps keep my calories in check :D

There are so many factors to work with changing your WOE that it helps to know all the extra ways to help each individual. It's a YMMV (your mileage may very) type of thing, :)

What is WOE? How can I find out about the low carb diet? TIA (now going looking for the Atkins thread) :p

Katt
05-21-2004, 07:40 AM
WOE is way of eating. Since, in order to keep off pounds, the diet mentality has to be tossed. ;) Sooo, for those that are serious, lc isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change...way of eating.

Check out the atkins thread here, or go to the atkins site. The best thing though, if you are seriously wanting to look into it, is to read the book. Then, you will get answers to a lot of the misconceptions such as food choices etc. The book will tell you about the bodies metabolic pathways and why this woe works etc.