PDA

View Full Version : Just heard on the radio Tony Randall passed away

lassss
05-18-2004, 07:24 AM
I just heard but that is all I know.... anyone hear this?? :(

*found this on CNN: BREAKING NEWS Emmy-winning actor Tony Randall, best known as one of TV's "Odd Couple," dies at 84. Details soon.

captorquewrench
05-18-2004, 07:27 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=496&e=4&u=/ap/20040518/ap_on_en_tv/obit_randall

yes he died. weird! i just watched the 7 faces of dr lao last night!

nanajoanie
05-18-2004, 07:33 AM
How sad :( Another great actor bites the dust. He must be visiting with my Dad now and keeping him laughing :)

Willow
05-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Oh that's sad. Doesn't he have a young child. Possibly even an infant. I saw a show about celebrities last week and I thought they said that he had a very young child.

Willow
05-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Maybe he didn't have a child that young. I was just doing a search and came across this and thought it was somewhat related.

Aging Actor Tony Randall Fantasizes About His Funeral
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA1QFTLZKD.html ^ | Sep 24, 2003 | Joe Carey

Posted on 09/25/2003 3:39:36 PM PDT by GluteusMax

WASHINGTON (AP) - Actor Tony Randall has a fantasy: when he dies President Bush and Vice President Cheney show up to pay their respects but they're turned away - because his family knows he didn't like them. Feeling his own mortality while suffering a cold, Randall, 83, made his remarks as the National Funeral Directors Association announced a new code of ethics for its members, beginning in 2004.

Funerals should be planned as a celebration of life and "a touch of humor doesn't hurt a bit," Randall said.

A comedian, Randall is best known for his role as Felix Unger in the 1970s sitcom "The Odd Couple."

He said his 6-year-old daughter, Julia, is old enough to appreciate the subject of death, and actually revels in it.

"She loves to talk about death," Randall said. "She loves stories about death. If I start a story, she says 'Does anyone die in this?' and I say 'No,' she doesn't want to hear it."

MistyWolf
05-18-2004, 08:09 AM
:(!

LadyBones
05-18-2004, 08:28 AM
I liked him he was a really good actor :(

Actor Tony Randall, Of 'Odd Couple' Fame, Dies

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0518/3317881_200X150.jpg

POSTED: 10:16 a.m. EDT May 18, 2004
UPDATED: 11:04 a.m. EDT May 18, 2004

NEW YORK -- Tony Randall, the comic actor known for playing lovably prissy characters, has died. He was 84.

Randall died in his sleep Monday night at New York University Medical Center of complications from a long illness, according to his publicist, Springer Associates.

Born Leonard Rosenbergin in Tulsa, Okla., on Feb. 26, 1920, Randall (pictured, left) was best known for his role as Felix Unger on the "Odd Couple" but also had a long career as a stage actor, in film and on radio.

He won an Emmy in 1975 for his role as Felix. He starred opposite Jack Klugman, who played Oscar Madison on the hit series, from 1970 to 1975. The duo reunited in 1993 for a television movie "The Odd Couple: Together Again."

Randall started his career in radio in the 1940s and was linked with all three major TV networks.

Over the years, Randall was also a popular guest on a number of variety and talk shows.

In addition to his television roles, Randall frequently appeared in the romantic comedies of the late 1950s and early 1960s. He starred opposite Rock Hudson and Doris Day in "Pillow Talk" in 1959 and "Lover Come Back" in 1961, and Marilyn Monroe and Yves Montand in "Let's Make Love" in 1960 -- and returned last year for "Down With Love," which was inspired by those earlier films.

In that homage to the classic romantic comedy genre, Randall starred opposite Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger.

Randall is survived by his wife, Heather Harlan Randall, and they have two children together -- Julia Laurette, 7, and Jefferson Salvini, 5. He became a father for the first time at 77. Heather is 50 years younger than Randall.

Randall was married to Florence Gibbs from 1942 until her death in 1992

MsLynn
05-18-2004, 08:30 AM
He is survived by his wife, Heather Harlan Randall, who made him a father for the first time at age 77, and their two children, 7-year-old Julia Laurette and 5-year-old Jefferson Salvini.

DivineMsDi
05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
My sister told me about this an hour or so ago and it is very sad. He seemed like a very lively and cultured guy. He also helped keep theatre alive in NY. He will be missed.

catdance
05-18-2004, 09:24 AM
WWAAHHAA!!! I just loved him and the Odd Couple, this world will really miss him, and heck look at the insperation he gave for all the "MEN", in the World..
:) !

bell_peaches
05-18-2004, 09:25 AM
This is another great loss. I always liked him. :(