PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch Colonial House on PBS

DivineMsDi
05-18-2004, 06:26 AM
It was pretty interesting, but they always have some formula in these shows (the overly religious guy, the non-religious guy, the one person who is due to be lazy...and so on).

I found it to be entertaining, however. It is amazing when you think of surviving the spring into summer on the coast of Maine! I went camping one May in Maine/Canada and it was FREEZING!!!

I'll watch the other episodes or video them. What did you think? :)

suzski
05-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I saw it, or most of it anyway. I had forgotten that it was on, and missed some of it. I am a huge history buff, and it is really interesting to me to see these shows where they place people in "real" situations. There was a show on PBS last year about Victorian England. They went through something like 3 scullery maids in the short time they were there. People today just don't realize how much better we have it now. Even the lady of the manor was having a difficult go of it, because in real life she's a doctor...in that time, she was merely the wife of an influential man, and as such, could only communicate with other women of her ilk.

Hopefully Colonial House will come on again so I can see it from the beginning.

Surfergal
05-18-2004, 03:34 PM
I caught the last half. will they/did they show Oprah and Gail's visit?
I saw them playing baseball -was this true to the period?

I also saw the victorian one last year where the maid and the cook? or some other male servant got kicked out for fooling around. '

Also saw another about families in a settlement, where one got married for eal while there, and a mom went into 20th century town to sell baked goods for money or trade....

I think these were the first reality shows. These people had it a lot harder than survivor, they have to live to the period beliefs with no chance of a million.

I always wonder how and why people decide to give up such a large chunk of their lives and always have a camera in their face.

cathych
05-25-2004, 06:12 AM
because women wore no undies, you have to wonder what they did during that time of the month, even Gail asked what they were supposed to do. I can't imagine anything worse than having to take care of oneself without anything to keep clean handy & to bathe during that time. And they said people didn't stink???? Wearing the same clothes all the time, filthy hair, filthy teeth, sounds incrediably gross.

karefree
05-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I enjoyed it but not as much as last years Pioneer house. I don't think they showed Oprah and Gails visit or, if they did, I missed it and I don't think I missed any of them. It was on last week on Monday and Tuesday and then again on the same days this week. There were 2 episodes per night. I felt so badly for the young girl who lost her fiance in a car accident. Her family really had a hard time while they were there. Her brother was in the same car wreck that killed her fiance and then another child was hospitalized at a different time and they all had to leave. The acting governors wife seemed a little bossy but maybe she felt like she had to be. Her husband was certainly easy going.

Don't you know that that first shower or bath was like heaven to them after so long without bathing?