PDA

View Full Version : Scam going on in my area, Could be yours too!

LadyBones
05-16-2004, 06:27 AM
I just received this e-mail and can't believe it, i have been to all of the area's mentioned alone! My DH told me for now on if i have food shopping to do or errends to do is to wait to do it with him on the weekends or go with a friend!

Subject: Biggest scam going on in Mansfield, BE CAREFUL!!!
>
>
> >
>
> Subj: Biggest scam going on in Mansfield, BE CAREFUL!!!
>
>
> Hey girls!
> This is something that happened to a girl named Amanda, which is a friend of my cousin's.
> This is not a joke. It happened last week. She works at Famous Hair-beside Walmart-her shift was over and she went out to her car and got in when she heard someone talking to her.
> An African-American woman came up to her passenger window and motioned her to put it down.
> She did, and the woman started talking to her as if she knew Amanda. She went on and on, "Don't you remember me? I work at Krogers. I used to have blonde hair. I haven't seen you in awhile, How are you doing?".
> During these questions Amanda kept thinking to herself, I Do Not know this girl. She said they talked a couple minutes and then she came around to her driver's side window and she kept talking to her. I got married last week, see that car behind you, that's my husband. By this time Amanda was getting nervous, so she locked her doors.
> The woman then said "Our car is broken down, can you give me a ride to Fourth Street, Amanda said "No, I have to pick up my daughter and then started her car, the woman became desperate and then started begging her for a ride to Taco Bell, Amanda repeated herself and then left.
> She got home and she just felt really funny about what happened, her mother-in-law called and she told her about it. Her mother-in-law said she knew one of the Mansfield Police Dispatchers-so she called her and explained what happened and the Dispatcher said this is the biggest scam going on right now.
> It's happened at Kohl's, Wal-Mart, and the Mall-so far.
> This group of people in Mansfield are going up to women drivers, acting as if they are long lost friends, they start out on the passenger side, work their way over to the driver's side, and then when the woman is not paying attention, another person gets in the passenger side door, holds a knife or a gun to the driver and makes the driver drive them to Cleveland or Columbus to get their drugs.
> I guess this has been going on for about two weeks. They have not yet caught this group of people.
> Needless to say, Amanda called into work to warn the other girls about what was going on, when she found out the same thing happened to one of her co-workers shortly after Amanda had left! I just wanted to tell the people I care about what was going on, so you would be aware of what's going on in the parking lots of some of our favorite shopping spots! If you don't live in the Mansfield area, then watch out for this scam wherever you live.
> Be Careful!!

VALENA-)45
05-16-2004, 06:42 AM
That Is Really Scarry. Thanks For The Heads Up. I Do Have One Question. What Color Are Colored People????? I Know What You Ment, But, It Is A Term I Have Not Heard In A Long Time.

LadyBones
05-16-2004, 06:51 AM
What Color Are Colored People????? I Know What You Ment, But, It Is A Term I Have Not Heard In A Long Time.

I just hate generalizing peoples color, like black and white because everybody is the same in my eyes, the e-mail i got the person wrote " Black" so i just took the "Black" out and put colored as they could have been tan, light brown, who knows what, I just hate the word black for an african american when they can be many different shades of brown. Do you know what i mean?
I just thought colored was a better word then "a Black women".
I'll change it to African American ;)

DAVESBABYDOLL
05-16-2004, 07:19 AM
That's scary...I'll remember that,after all I'm not too far from you.

tsquared
05-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Makes me sick people are htis desperate and as money gets tighter they will get even more desperate.

queenangie
05-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Sick people do this.

Next time an honest person is truly in need, makes a person scared to even think about helping out.

Tasha405
05-16-2004, 09:04 AM
That's scary...I'll remember that,after all I'm not too far from you.
:eek: Same here!

mpmyers
05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
It's funny ... i live in Mansfield and there hasn't been anything on the news or the paper about it....

hotdoglove
05-16-2004, 09:54 AM
thanks for letting us know.

Linus1223
05-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Although you should obviously be careful, I have a tendency to think this e-mail is one of those chain e-mails that you shouldn't think too much of.

VALENA-)45
05-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Free4us~ You Can Put Whatever Word You Want, Too. It's Just That The Word Colored, Was A Word That Hasn't Been Used In A While To Desribe People Of The Black Race. I Was Not Mad, Or Upset. I Read It To Sweetie And He Said, Honey What Color Are Colored People?? I Laughed And Put The Question To You. Thank You Very Much, For Your Answer. I Am A Black Woman, And I Knew What The Word Ment. And No Offense Was Taken, Cause You Didn't Mean Any. ((((((((((((((free4us))))))))))))

DivineMsDi
05-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Get in your car, and lock the doors straight away! That's what we do. (big bad NY here....can't afford to be clueless...)

If someone comes up to me, and I don't know them, they have a few seconds to do their pitch and I would say, "sorry" and speed off!

A few months ago some "religious" guy tried to engage me, my DH and son and he knew to get his butt away from us ASAP.

Hey, and pepperspray (if legal) works wonders.. :D

Like others say, it may just be a hoax to flip people out. If someone wants to go and buy drugs, I doubt they are going to just car jack you for a ride.. :eek:

Angel Lips
05-17-2004, 04:37 AM
wow thanks for sharing that with us. thats some scary stuff.

hotllama
05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
I am also inclined to believe that this is another one of those chain emails. Has a carjacker EVER tried something like this? Probably. Is it "the biggest scam going right now"? Somehow I doubt it. Seriously, if this were really an epidemic, the news media would have been all over it, because they just love scare stories anyway. Snopes doesn't have anything up on it yet, which probably means that it's a moderately new email (or they haven't seen it before, or I missed their write up on it). That being said, it probably is still a good idea to lock your doors in parking lots. There is such a thing as carjacking after all, no matter how uncommon it is (and compared to other crimes, it is fairly uncommon).

Stay safe everyone, but don't believe every email you get. :)