PDA

View Full Version : the house stinks, when is she going to be housetrained

ttistin
05-14-2004, 05:31 AM
Why oh why wont the puppy go pooo outside?? :confused:

we have a crate for her, she is growing like a weed and it is getting to small for her, so now we have to go get her a bigger crate and we have no roomf or it here lol We were really hoping she would be house trained by now. I understand she is still just a baby and is going to have accidents, That is understandable. But man I will put the two of them outside to play and go to the bathroom, Let them in to play/sleep and she will sneak upstairs into the kids room and poop, or she will sneak into a corner and poop. She does go outside but it seems like she will hold it till she comes inside.

We are now just leaving her in her crate, letting her outside, feeding her outside or in her crate. Not letting her run around the house at all {hoping it will break her of thinking the house is her bathroom} last night I let her run through the house for about 15 mintues, yup she pooped in the living room cause she couldnt get upstairs :(

Preacious will be 3 months old in a few weeks, so I know she is still just a baby, but it is driving us crazy

bell_peaches
05-14-2004, 05:58 AM
:) It takes time to house break a puppy? If she can lay down in the crate don't get another she should only have room to lay down. When you open the crate take her right ouside. When she does her buisness praise her tell her good girl. When she is inside keep her supervised at all times if you think she is going to poop scoop her up and put her out. It takes time and some dogs longer than others. If you need more help just let me know.Good luck
One more thing don't feed her in the crate. Once they eat they must go outside usually right away. :D

DAVESBABYDOLL
05-14-2004, 06:01 AM
You need to take her out every 1/2 hour for a little while,tell her "go potty" when she does tell her "good girl" and give her a treat,she'll get the idea,also take water from her at night before bedtime.Hard work,Good luck :)

What kind of dog is she?

DivineMsDi
05-14-2004, 06:03 AM
My sister has a rescue puppy who is about 5 months. She keeps peeing all over. The advice of a small crate may help your dog. My sister's dog has special problems because it is not properly bonded to people. Good luck with your baby dog!

ttistin
05-14-2004, 06:20 AM
i try to take her out often, as soon as she wakes up out she goes. I tell her good girl every time, I put her outside as soon as she finishes eating. I hate having her in the crate all the time, I wanna let her run around and play with the kids, but the rugs are getting so nasty. I have to scrub them all the time now. We are going to be moving in a few months and we really dont wanna have to replace the rugs in here.

She is a black lab/ Weimaraner mix. She looks like a full black lab though lol very cute.

bell_peaches
05-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Check your local store or the vets office they make order and stain remover made just for this case I know i just went through it. Our pup is 11 months. Good Luck

Trishntx
05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey! do we live in the same house????
I have a puppy we rescued about 2 weeks in the middle of a thunderstorm, needless to say it has virtually rained every day since we have gotten her and she will not go out when the ground is wet. My house smells of puppy pee sooooo bad, I have shampooed the carpet , but the humidity just keeps the smell lingering. I take her out constantly, and she follows my other dogs out too, but she will will NOT do her business outside.
I have since found the spot she likes and lined it heavily with newspaper.
I have never had such a hard time housebreaking an animal. UGH..
I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION!!!!

schsa
05-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Wait about 20 minutes after she eats and then take her outside. And stay with her until she does her business. Then do the same thing over and over again but take her back to the same spot she peed or pooped in the first time. She will eventually associate the smell with what she has to do.

Puppies are just puppies. When you finally get her house broken, have the padding replaced and the carpets cleaned. It will get rid of the smell completely.

Angel Lips
05-14-2004, 11:59 AM
WHEN WE HOUSE BREAK OUT PUPPIES WE NORMALLY GET THOSE PUPPY DIAPERS THAT YOU CAN UNFOLD (LIKE A NEWSPAPER) AND LAY DOWN ON A FLOOR. YOU SHOW THE PUPPY WHERE IT IS AND BASICALLY THAT ALWAYS WORKED FOR OUR PUPPIES. WE ALSO PENNED THEM UP IN THE KITCHEN WITH A DIAPER ON THE FLOOR AND THEY WOULD ALWAYS POO OR PEE ON THAT. YOU COULD ALWAYS LAY ONE OF THOSE DIAPERS ON THE AREAS SHES KNOWN TO PEE OR POOP AT.

zitra
05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
WHEN WE HOUSE BREAK OUT PUPPIES WE NORMALLY GET THOSE PUPPY DIAPERS THAT YOU CAN UNFOLD (LIKE A NEWSPAPER) AND LAY DOWN ON A FLOOR. YOU SHOW THE PUPPY WHERE IT IS AND BASICALLY THAT ALWAYS WORKED FOR OUR PUPPIES. WE ALSO PENNED THEM UP IN THE KITCHEN WITH A DIAPER ON THE FLOOR AND THEY WOULD ALWAYS POO OR PEE ON THAT. YOU COULD ALWAYS LAY ONE OF THOSE DIAPERS ON THE AREAS SHES KNOWN TO PEE OR POOP AT.

Our vet said if you use those, once they start using them, each day move it a little closer to the door (whichever door you would be takign them out to potty), and then once you reach the front door, eventually place it outside, once the puppy has used it outside for awhile, you can just get rid of them.

Angel Lips
05-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Our vet said if you use those, once they start using them, each day move it a little closer to the door (whichever door you would be takign them out to potty), and then once you reach the front door, eventually place it outside, once the puppy has used it outside for awhile, you can just get rid of them.

WE NEVER DID THAT, ACTUALLY I DONT RECALL EVER TALKING TO A VET ABOUT IT...LOL THATS PROLLY WHY WE NEVER DID. THAT IS USEFUL INFORMATION THOUGH. OUR PUPPIES DID GREAT EVEN IF WE DIDINT MOVE IT. WE PRETTY MUCH KEPT IT BY THE BACK DOOR IN THE KITCHEN ANYWAYS SO MAYBE THATS WHY...

zitra
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
WE NEVER DID THAT, ACTUALLY I DONT RECALL EVER TALKING TO A VET ABOUT IT...LOL THATS PROLLY WHY WE NEVER DID. THAT IS USEFUL INFORMATION THOUGH. OUR PUPPIES DID GREAT EVEN IF WE DIDINT MOVE IT. WE PRETTY MUCH KEPT IT BY THE BACK DOOR IN THE KITCHEN ANYWAYS SO MAYBE THATS WHY...

LOL..I did forget to mention the vet said to start out by putting it wheeverthe puppy was having his accidents.

Faithfully
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I wish I had some advice. I had a dachshund that I tried to housebreak for 17 months with no success. When we moved to our new house(4 years ago), I gave him away. It was heartbreaking, but I didn't want him ruining all the new carpet. (Luckily the house we lived in when we had him was all wood floors). I'm sticking with my kitties, they are low maintence. I hope all works out for you all.

Trishntx
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
what alot of great suggestions!
What if the puppy chooses to pee or poop in numerous places. This puppy I have is a mixed breed, pretty docile, but she just goes wherever. I am going to try the paper by the door trick.

zitra
05-14-2004, 02:56 PM
what alot of great suggestions!
What if the puppy chooses to pee or poop in numerous places. This puppy I have is a mixed breed, pretty docile, but she just goes wherever. I am going to try the paper by the door trick.

The only other thing i can suggest is buying an carpet cleaner at the pet store with enzymes in it. You should use this ANYWHERE your puppy "goes", becuase a puppy will keep goign on any spot he smells his urine/feces "scent"

Wimzik
05-14-2004, 03:23 PM
You need to take her out every 1/2 hour for a little while,tell her "go potty" when she does tell her "good girl" and give her a treat,she'll get the idea,also take water from her at night before bedtime.Hard work,Good luck :)

What kind of dog is she?

That worked for me. My dogs know what "Go Potty" means, lol, when I say it they do.

Tasha405
05-16-2004, 06:09 AM
hey, I posted this in another thread in OTC and I thought maybe it could help you out too...

I have a book called "Clean It! Fix It! Eat It!" and it tells how to clean up or fix stuff using household items and it says....

Eliminate animal urine stains from carpets with....
Huggies Baby Wipes

Also with..
Lysol & Persons' Ammonia : Mix one-half cup of Lysol cleaner, a teaspoon of Parsons' Ammonia, and one quart of water in a bucket, and use this solution to clean the carpet where a pet has had an accident. It also takes the smell away.

Also with...
Pampers & Heinz White Vinegar : Lay a Pampers diaper on top of the stain, then place something heavy on top of the diaper to keep it pressed flat against the stain for about an hour. The diaper will soak up most of the urine. Then clean the remaining stain with a mixture of vinegar and water which will erase the smell.

To prevent a pet from excreting on carpets, floors, and furniuture, try....
Heinz Vinegar. When a pet excretes on carpets or other spots, spray the area with a misted squirt of vinegar. The scent will ward off dogs and cats from marking the area.

I hope these help!

ttistin
05-16-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the tips on how to get her house trained and for cleaning up the accidents.