PDA

View Full Version : Pay your child support

monii222
05-13-2004, 04:31 AM
This makes me so angry, My brother works his a$$ off to feed his boys. Their mother walked out on them when they were only 6 and 2. They are now 13 and 17. For the longest time she wanted nothing to do with them. Now only comes around when she needs them to do something for her. But any ways she is like working three jobs ( her choice, doesnt really need to). She just bought a brand new SUV maybe 5 months ago and all of a sudden stopped paying my brother child support, she has always paid when she felt like it she suppose to pay $250 a month. She is about $400 behind, so my brother just got a chexk for $75. What the puck? He has taken her to court for this but always settled themselves and that was his first mistake. I told him to go back. He needs that money, they a barely getting by. He asked me for money just to get by until pay day, but I didn't have it this time. I felt so bad cuz he needed it for food. All he had was 8 bucks on him and he used it for food that night. Now no money for gas to get back and forth to work. How can a mother not care if her kids are eating. She always stops paying when it gets close to summer time, and my brothers plans to take the boys to concerts or parks get ruined cuz of this. It upsets me so much that she can be so heartless when it comes to her children. She thinks being a Mom is going to their football games. If I seen her I would have to flip out and tell her off. Thanks for letting me vent about this.

DAVESBABYDOLL
05-13-2004, 04:38 AM
My ex doesn't pay..just a payment when he HAS to :mad: And here in Ohio it's like child support works for the non custodial parent.I better stop...GGRRR

He needs to do it via courts.

Quaker_Parrots
05-13-2004, 04:47 AM
He needs to go back and get an order to have her employer take it out of her checks, and looks like he needs to ask fo an increase. $250 is chump change for 2 kids.

lassss
05-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Here in PA, there is a program called PA New Hire..where employers MUST report anyone they hire to the state just for this reason. I would get in touch with your state and find out if this is a law there too.

monii222
05-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Here in PA, there is a program called PA New Hire..where employers MUST report anyone they hire to the state just for this reason. I would get in touch with your state and find out if this is a law there too.
I live in Pa, but didnt know that.

Willow
05-13-2004, 05:31 AM
My daughter's father has not payed any child support since she was 4 years old. She is now 16. My son's father was having it taken out of his check before he got it but he must of quit working back in November because in December (how convenient) I stopped receiving it from him. My daughters father owes over $20,000 and my son's father is also in arrears but the kids will probably never see any of that money. It's really sad that they can get away with it.

VALENA-)45
05-13-2004, 05:41 AM
There Is A Program For Kids That Will Help Them Get The Child Support, They Are Suppose To Get. I Forgot The Name Of It. When I Remember I'll Come Back And Post It. Sorry This Is Happening To Y'all. That's Not Right.

kelly12569
05-13-2004, 05:57 AM
At one point my ex was TEN GRAND (yes, you saw that correct) $10,000 behind. Do you think they enforced it like they make it out like they do? Oh no! I finally ended up getting him in a courtroom then they ordered him to catch up by adding on a measly $10 ten friggin extra dollars a week to what he was already previously ordered. They did eventually start taking his tax check, etc until he was paid up but it is a long rough battle. Tell him to take her to court. If he cant afford a lawyer tell him to check into the organizations there that help ppl who need it when it comes to that sort of stuff. Im having a brain fart right now and cant think of the name of the group here. They will assign him a case worker and take her to court and pursue wage withholdings for his support. All it cost me was a $55 filing fee. But tell him he needs to stick with it and be persistant. My husband has custody of his two boys as well and thank goodness she does atleast pay her support on time. She is by no means a mother to the boys but she is quite afraid of what would happen if she didnt hold up her financial responsibility. She too feels the need to buy a new vehicle every yr or so and a new home, camper, boats (dont get me wrong, I just mean yr after yr new ones and going on numerous trips and NEVER taking her children on any, etc etc.... so I think she's afraid of losing her goodies if she doesnt pay. Anyways, sorry to ramble. Best of luck to your brother with his situation. :(

AngelGrim
05-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Why don't they garnish her wages. That would take care of it and I would get an increase as it is not right that she goes around with a brand new vehicle but can't take care of her kids, maybe it would be a wake up call. Hope it all works out. Hugs!!

DivineMsDi
05-13-2004, 06:22 AM
I don't get these people who don't pay for their kids...what are they just DNA donors? Deadbeats! It is pretty sad the courts have to demand they pay for THEIR kids. What kind of person has a child with someone and doesn't give a $%^^ what happens? Especially if they were married to the partner or in a long term relationship. :confused:

MommyG3
05-13-2004, 06:38 AM
My ex is currently ordered to pay $238/month for 2 kids...yeah, joke. But hey, it helps and I don't complain...until he quits a job, which he tends to do on a regular basis.

I have gone through my Mississippi Child Support Enforcement and that way, I don't have to keep up with just how much in arrears he is. Now, here is the deal with them, I call my Enforcement Officer up about once a month and ask her if she has any news. When I know where he is and where he is working, I tell her. It is a 2-way street, but I have to take steps to ensure things happen. I spoke with her about a month ago and learned my ex has had his MS Driver's License suspended for failure to pay Child Support. Eventually, they will also issue a warrent for his arrest. (Yes, this is the same one who is now a deserter in the US Army).

I am going to speak with my lawyer and see if we can have papers drawn up for my ex-SIL and ex-MIL to share the custody of the kids. This way, my ex doesn't have to pay a dime, but also doesn't get to be a part of the kids' lives.

lassss
05-13-2004, 07:00 AM
My ex is currently ordered to pay $238/month for 2 kids...yeah, joke. But hey, it helps and I don't complain...until he quits a job, which he tends to do on a regular basis.

$238.. wow you should be getting more then that :mad:

I am taking my ex back to court for more because for the past 11 YEARS he has been claiming only 30k/yr. The last time we filed together was 1993 and we claimed 28K and I wasn't working. I just can't believe that 11 years later he is making the same kind of money he claimed in 1993. The man bought and paid off a sports convertible in 3 years. Now I will also admit he is very good to our son and sees him every other weekend and on mondays and takes him on vacation and to the beach for 2 weeks. But he thinks he is pulling something over on me by not admitting to what he really makes but in reality, it's our son's money who he is shorting. I just want what my son is suppose to be getting based on his father's real salary!

MamaFairal
05-13-2004, 07:50 AM
There Is A Program For Kids That Will Help Them Get The Child Support, They Are Suppose To Get. I Forgot The Name Of It. When I Remember I'll Come Back And Post It. Sorry This Is Happening To Y'all. That's Not Right.

Its www.supportkids.com and its a great orginaztion. They collect my support for me and i would never let any state try to collect for me again as they have never gotten a dime and supportkids has :)
But mine is still over $50,000(yes $50,000) behind as he was court ordered for $599 a mnth in 89 and hasnt really paid more than $40 a month since 94......go figure then they wonder why we bash men.......lol

*edited to add: he gets away with this by not working legally and his wife supports the household while he plays MrMom :(
Nothing i can do and he wonders why his girls dont want nothing to do with him..lol

ezmoney163
05-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Good luck to (P). I hope he gets something taken care of soon. Good thing he works just across town, at least if he has to he can walk. (((HUGZ)))) to you!!!

tiffany21
05-13-2004, 09:32 AM
My ex doesn't pay the jerk.

cindylee
05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
140 a month for 17 yrs now. Judge has denied increases every time. He pays the same amount he paid when he was making 5.00/hour. Now he owns land and makes 20.00/hour and the same small town judge keeps telling me NO. And yeah, my local court said they have no idea how the judge or my ex gets away with it.

schsa
05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I agree. Take her to court. Somewhere along the line she can come up with the cash to buy a car so she's got money somewhere. Garnish her wages or whatever but don't let her treat her children like they aren't important. :eek:

DAVESBABYDOLL
05-13-2004, 10:44 AM
140 a month for 17 yrs now. Judge has denied increases every time. He pays the same amount he paid when he was making 5.00/hour. Now he owns land and makes 20.00/hour and the same small town judge keeps telling me NO. And yeah, my local court said they have no idea how the judge or my ex gets away with it.

Ask for a new judge

texasgander
05-13-2004, 02:07 PM
yeah...why aren't they garnishing her wages????

1tiredmom
05-13-2004, 03:56 PM
i have a friend that reported non child support (st. bernard, la)over 15 years ago-her son is now 22 years old & yer second husband had just died & left no insurance what-so-ever-insurance policy he had was never updated so it went to his ex-sil-wait sorry off the subject-ok let's see about 2 years ago she has an envelope from family services-when opened she found a $25.00 check from past due child supprt that she reported not getting-they were taking it out of his check-all was well until he got arrested in slidell for some type of domestic problem
to all dead beat parents your day will come

lassss
05-13-2004, 05:27 PM

wow the cost of living goes up each year and I think cases should be reviewed at least every year-2 years and adjusted accordingly....This is whats wrong with the domestic relations system..my account was put on hold for 2 months..I received nothing and when I called they said *oooopssss I dunno why it was on hold but we are releasing the funds to you now* I would ask for a new judge and appeal

zitra
05-13-2004, 06:03 PM
$238.. wow you should be getting more then that :mad:

I am taking my ex back to court for more because for the past 11 YEARS he has been claiming only 30k/yr. The last time we filed together was 1993 and we claimed 28K and I wasn't working. I just can't believe that 11 years later he is making the same kind of money he claimed in 1993. The man bought and paid off a sports convertible in 3 years. Now I will also admit he is very good to our son and sees him every other weekend and on mondays and takes him on vacation and to the beach for 2 weeks. But he thinks he is pulling something over on me by not admitting to what he really makes but in reality, it's our son's money who he is shorting. I just want what my son is suppose to be getting based on his father's real salary!

My BIL , who has custody of his kids, only gets $85 a month for their two girls

lassss
05-14-2004, 10:31 AM
My BIL , who has custody of his kids, only gets $85 a month for their two girls

:eek: omg $85 doesn't even cover a week if you break it down into food, shelter, clothing, etc... I get about $500/month and am taking him back for more cuz he only claims to make 30k/year when I know he makes at least 40k.

MommyG3
05-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I SHOULD be getting more than $238/month. Our cases are reviewed every 3 years. He is actually ordered to pay 20% of his income, HOWEVER, if his income is checked and $238/month is more than 20%, the Child Support will be decreased.

I found out last night that he is STILL getting income from the US Army (as of 2 weeks ago). I plan to call my CSE and find out why my ex is STILL getting an income and his wages are not withheld. He is also driving on a suspended license for lack of child support payments. :(

My 2 kids are now telling their Aunt they want their DNA donor to go back to GA!!!!

1tiredmom
05-14-2004, 01:02 PM
have any of yall went to your parish/county da and questioned this -i was under the impression that all states went by one scale- and for it you have to keep up with checking w/the juvenile/family courts-
they have laws that nobody in legal profession that know they exist-i did some searching w/child support laws(when my dh was paying child supportand not by any means was he a dead beat dad-) but i found some statues that was able to help him & when brought up to the judge she questioned him where he got the info & when he told her she pulled her book out & after reading it said hmm didn't know that --& ruled for dh(his son was 19 years old & making $200.00 per wk & his ex wanted him to continue paying till he was 20-he was not in school nor living at home-very long story could be a soap opera
get out there & start looking up

Airbuswife
05-14-2004, 09:42 PM
am i the only one on this board that's on the other end of the spectrum in this conversation??? (please dont flame me, just giving my point of view for the conversation!!)

I am happily married to a *wonderful* man who has 4 kids from his previous marriage. This was a man who married at 21, his wife was 19, and they thought all would be honkey dorey. To make a long story short, he has been divorced now for almost 12 years, has four kids from 12-19 and we have been married for four years. This man pays his ex wife much more than many people MAKE in our small town! She has NEVER had a job, nor TRIED TO GET ONE!! She has been married and divorced within one year!! She takes him to court every 6 months because she wants more of HIS money. She now thinks he is misrepresenting his wages for support. BULL!! I know how much he makes, and i know he has had to show his tax return for HER benefit for support! My hubby is one of the top 5%tile of men in our state who has NEVER missed a payment, NEVER been in arrears, NEVER has even been late on a payment for his kids!! That being said, she is manipulating, and brainwashing the kids. we live no more than 10 miles away from his ex and kids. She doesnt follow the court order for every other weekend of visititation (never has!) She lets the kids pick and choose when they want to come and how long they want to stay, and tells them we are mean and horrible people!! (her parents do too!!) For some reason, the courts here have always *screwed* my husband, never reperimanding her for not following specific court orders of visitation. Must be a small town thing, all men are a$$holes according to our courts! He wants a loving and good relationship with his kids, but the ex, is preventing it. We're ready to move to Australia!!! I could go on and on... everytime i think about it, it really gets me LIVID!!! :mad:

hotwheelstx
05-14-2004, 11:31 PM
It AMAZES me that parents won't/don't take care of their children. I coming from divorced parents never really "wanted" for anything!!!!! My dad was upfront about it ALL. Paid his $250.00 a month A LOT BACK THEN in the 70's until I turned 18 in 1980. Never took me off of his ins. until I was 25 and paid the premiums.

With all that being said I know/understand all to well where you're coming from. Scooby's dad NEVER paid child support in full....was arrested many times, court ordered, DNA tests were taken to prove he was the father. Never a visitation.....Think they only met 4 times in his father's life.

Wouldn't hold a "real" job either....was his own buisness, lived off his parents, bought property, houses, cars, clothes...all while my mom struggled w/afdc, welfare, foodstamps, courts, lawyers, legal aid.

LET ME TELL YOU IT'S TRUE WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!!!!

With the death of Scooby's dad in 2000 Scooby's dad had 3 biological children. It was determined upon his death that my brother Scooby was an heir to his estate.

He's entitled to:

1/2 Of ins. policy
1/2 Property that's owned
1/2 Savings, bank accts., CD'S, Money Markets

It was also determined by the courts that our mother was his BIGGEST creditor for the last 20 years. She's due to receive in excess of $40,000 w/interest paid to her by the end of July 2004. All except the interest is TAX FREE. Yes, it's tax free.

On the flip side of everything Scooby doesn't want anything from this estate. Didn't really know the man, didn't care for him, doesn't want anything to do w/his family...neither do they. He's planning on giving our mother his entire part of the $$$ and property.

If anyone's wonder why Scooby gets 1/2 instead of 1/3 the person that killed his father was his other son....he lost all rights to any money w/that being done. It's split between Scooby and a 1/2 sister he's NEVER MET.

Scooby never seeked any compensation for anything after his father's death. He (Scooby) was found by an attorney taking care of his father's estate. He was looking for heirs.

There is hope. I'm sorry that this happens to a lot of parents. It's NOT RIGHT.

I'm fortunate enough to have a dad who did take that responsibility and not argue about it. Scooby and others didn't have that chance. Seems courts don't do what they preach.

BTW: I know Scooby's dad is turning over in his grave for all this. HE NEVER intended for ANYONE to know his worth, what he owned....let alone for Scooby or our mom to EVER SEE IT. GOTCHA!!!!

VALENA-)45
05-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Its www.supportkids.com and its a great orginaztion. They collect my support for me and i would never let any state try to collect for me again as they have never gotten a dime and supportkids has :)
But mine is still over $50,000(yes $50,000) behind as he was court ordered for $599 a mnth in 89 and hasnt really paid more than $40 a month since 94......go figure then they wonder why we bash men.......lol

*edited to add: he gets away with this by not working legally and his wife supports the household while he plays MrMom :(
Nothing i can do and he wonders why his girls dont want nothing to do with him..lol THANKS~MAMAFAIRAL, THIS IS THE PROGRAM I WAS TALKING ABOUT. I JUST SAW THE INFO ON TV AND CAME TO TELL ABOUT IT AND FOUND YOU HAD ALREADY DONE SO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I HAVE A FRIEND THAT NEVER TOOK THE FATHER OF HER 2 DAUGHTERS, TO COURT FOR CHILD SUPPORT. ALL OF A SUDDEN, AFTER TEN YEAR HE DECIDES HE WANTS TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT, TO HER FOR THEM. SHE TOLD THE COURT SHE DIDN'T WANT IT. THE COURT SAUD SHE HAD TO TAKE IT FOR THIS GIRLS. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, ALL HE REALLY WAS AFTER, IS THREE THINGS, HE WANTED TO GET BACK WITH HER, ( SHE DUMPED HIM AFTER ABOUT 4 YEARS OF ABUSE AND CHEATING, AND A NASTY DRUG HABIT), HE'S GETTING OLD AND NOBODY WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM THE WAY SHE DID, WHEN THEY WERE TOGETHER. AND NO. 3 REASON HE WANTS BACK IS: HIS 2 DAUGHTERS GOT LEAD POISON WHEN THEY WERE YOUNGER AND AND WHEN THEY TURN 18, THEY EACH HAVE A TRUST FUND THAT WILL PAY THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. TALK ABOUT ULTEREUR MOTIVES. THAT IS A MAJOR ONE. SHE TOLD HIM, NO WAY AND STAY OUT OF MY LIFE. HIS DAUGHTERS WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM, CAUSE HE TELLS THEM HE IS GOING TO GET THEM SNEAKERS AND CLOTHES AND SUCH AND HE NEVER DOES. HE IS A LIAR AND A GREEDY MAN.

lassss
05-17-2004, 07:34 AM
am i the only one on this board that's on the other end of the spectrum in this conversation??? (please dont flame me, just giving my point of view for the conversation!!)

I am happily married to a *wonderful* man who has 4 kids from his previous marriage. This was a man who married at 21, his wife was 19, and they thought all would be honkey dorey. To make a long story short, he has been divorced now for almost 12 years, has four kids from 12-19 and we have been married for four years. This man pays his ex wife much more than many people MAKE in our small town! She has NEVER had a job, nor TRIED TO GET ONE!! She has been married and divorced within one year!! She takes him to court every 6 months because she wants more of HIS money. She now thinks he is misrepresenting his wages for support. BULL!! I know how much he makes, and i know he has had to show his tax return for HER benefit for support! My hubby is one of the top 5%tile of men in our state who has NEVER missed a payment, NEVER been in arrears, NEVER has even been late on a payment for his kids!! That being said, she is manipulating, and brainwashing the kids. we live no more than 10 miles away from his ex and kids. She doesnt follow the court order for every other weekend of visititation (never has!) She lets the kids pick and choose when they want to come and how long they want to stay, and tells them we are mean and horrible people!! (her parents do too!!) For some reason, the courts here have always *screwed* my husband, never reperimanding her for not following specific court orders of visitation. Must be a small town thing, all men are a$$holes according to our courts! He wants a loving and good relationship with his kids, but the ex, is preventing it. We're ready to move to Australia!!! I could go on and on... everytime i think about it, it really gets me LIVID!!! :mad:

visitation and child support are two separate issues handled by different departments. Domestic relations only handles support issues, medical etc....you need to contact a lawyer and go thru family court to handle visitation/divorce issues..at least that is the way it is handled here in PA

lassss
05-17-2004, 07:42 AM
It AMAZES me that parents won't/don't take care of their children. I coming from divorced parents never really "wanted" for anything!!!!! My dad was upfront about it ALL. Paid his $250.00 a month A LOT BACK THEN in the 70's until I turned 18 in 1980. Never took me off of his ins. until I was 25 and paid the premiums.

The parent who has to pay and doesn't is trying to be spiteful to the other parent, but in end, it is the child/children who is hurt by that parent's actions. And it's sad that the parent who is being spiteful doesn't see that.

1tiredmom
05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Airbuswife-you're not alone i could tell you some stories that you would not believe-in short by the time dh finished paying child support she was recieving $15,000-per year-it would not have been so bad but when tax time came around we on paper looked llike (can't claim child support & nor the children-custodial parent is able to claim the kids unless they agree on something) we were rich so to speak & she on the other hand still looked like she was living below poverty level(not needing to claimn the child support)

PrincessArky
05-17-2004, 08:30 PM
My ex gets away with so much in this state it isn't funny. He lies about his income (you would think the state would actually check it black and white but they don't), he lied about his bills.......he filed bankruptcy and left me about 30,000 in debt........he works alot off the books so they can't touch that, he even lied last summer told his employer he had the kids ALL summer which puts his support at 1/2 and the state took his word till I called them on that (went into the already huge pile of back child support).........we have only been divorced for about 2 1/3 yrs and with his tax check last year got in under the 3,000 mark for back support.

On the other hand my brother's ex took the kids out of state (he didn't stop her), pays right now about 200 more than the divorce decree ordered him to. Gets them ALL summer (so she can go on vacation), spring break, christmas (of course he drives the 600plus miles because she won't met him) and just this weekend his son had to call and ask him to send him some shoes and clothes because he were worn out and his mother wouldn't get him any.

So wierd how things can be so different huh?

Airbuswife
05-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Airbuswife-you're not alone i could tell you some stories that you would not believe-in short by the time dh finished paying child support she was recieving $15,000-per year-it would not have been so bad but when tax time came around we on paper looked llike (can't claim child support & nor the children-custodial parent is able to claim the kids unless they agree on something) we were rich so to speak & she on the other hand still looked like she was living below poverty level(not needing to claimn the child support)

I'm SOOOO glad i'm not alone in this!! (one of the few though! :eek: )
I know exactly what you're saying with the taxes, but try DOUBLING what your hubby paid, that's close to what my hubby's EX gets a year!!! :mad: Jeez, i cant even afford to buy my OWN kid new underwear, and she's getting her kids NEW "TOMMY" jeans!!! The system isnt fair sometimes!!! :mad:

1tiredmom
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Airbuswife---yes it was agravating most of the time & the household was on a very tight budget-and to find out that the2 of the kids were living elsewhere (with boyfriends) they would register for school but not go-that too was too much to handle---but i try to look at it as that we took the high road (and if it's ever questioned recipts and canceled checks to back up) and what goes around comes around-he has a relationship w/ 3 out of the 4 children(all grown )something she made sure during earlier years that it didn't happen--and oh yeah she just recently lost her job

Airbuswife
05-19-2004, 10:27 PM
1tiredmom, thanks for the kind words! we're hoping they come around like the oldest did after he got out of the household and went to college, i guess time will tell. :o