PDA

View Full Version : Do your job and freakin VOTE!!!

LuvBigRip
05-12-2004, 08:33 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate by a single vote rejected an election-year effort Tuesday to extend federal unemployment benefits.

Democrats tried to attach the benefit to a corporate tax bill. On a 59-40 vote in the GOP-controlled Senate, they fell just shy of the 60 votes needed to overcome objections that extending the benefits violated last year's budget agreement.

Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, was the only senator who missed the vote. He was campaigning in Kentucky.

The amendment would have offered emergency federal unemployment benefits for six months, temporarily giving 13 weeks of extra assistance to people who exhaust their state benefits - typically 26 weeks.

Campaigning in Florida, Kerry said he didn't come back to Washington for the vote because he understood that Senate Republicans would not let the measure pass.

"We were told that no matter what would happen they would change a vote in the Senate and they were not going to let it happen," Kerry said in an interview in Jacksonville with television stations WIXX and WTLV. "They don't want it to happen. It is very clear that even if they pass it in the Senate, they are not going to pass it in the House."

Campaign spokesman David Wade had said earlier in the day that Kerry "has fought again and again to extend unemployment benefits for workers left behind in the Bush economy. The reason we haven't succeeded is because George Bush opposes extending unemployment insurance and so do his allies in the Republican House of Representatives and 39 Republican senators."

Steve Schmidt, a Bush-Cheney campaign spokesman, responded: "Last month, John Kerry was pushing for the extension of unemployment benefits. Today he had the chance to actually vote on that question but was too busy playing politics when he would have made the difference in the Senate."

This is a man who wants you to vote for him, and yet he doesn't vote because he thinks his vote doesn't count??? How does he know that the Republicans wouldn't have passed the bill? So he doesn't even try??? That is crazy. What does this teach young voters?? Why bother?? I am no Kerry fan, but good grief, do your current job. . I don't care if you are Republican, Democrat or Independant VOTE!!!!! It really ticks me off when the men and women we get out and vote for, don't take the time to vote on measures that are presented to them. Especially the important things. Ok, I vented I feel better now

llbriteyes
05-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Hmmmm. Go figure. As for us pee-ons, I would prefer some just NOT vote. So many people vote not even knowing who or what they're voting for.

/me shakes head.

Linda

freeby4me
05-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Its too bad he couldnt go back and vote but he's right, There's no way they would actually pass that bill. Its a well known fact that republicans are not going to vote for something that will help out those in that kind of need. Flame me if ya want, I dont care.

Anthill
05-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I agree w/ his statement, it never would have passed, but I also feel that he is using that as an excuse. That maybe he really doesn't want it to pass either, but this way he can say "It's outta my hands" , shrugs his shoulders and moves on.

VALENA-)45
05-12-2004, 08:56 AM
And They Wonder, Why Nobody Wants To Vote And They Slack Off On Voting. It Is Hard To Get People To Come To The Polls, When They See Something Like This. It Would Not Have Hurt Anyone To Continue The Unemployment. It Would Have Helped A Lot Of People. But, Hey We Live In A Country, That Is Always Helping Other Countries, But Not Our Own. That Would Be Tooo Much Like Right.

LuvBigRip
05-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Its too bad he couldnt go back and vote but he's right, There's no way they would actually pass that bill. Its a well known fact that republicans are not going to vote for something that will help out those in that kind of need. Flame me if ya want, I dont care.
Was it not the Republican controlled senate and congress who extended benefits the last time. Also, was it not a Republican President who signed the bill?

schsa
05-12-2004, 10:51 AM
We all know it was not going to pass. He knew it and anyone who has kept up with this knew it. To vote on this would not have benefited him. He needs to keep campaigning if he is going to overcome Bush. I wouldn't have gone back either. IOn this point, his vote really would not have counted.

Jolie Rouge
05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Campaigning in Florida, Kerry said he didn't come back to Washington for the vote because he understood that Senate Republicans would not let the measure pass.

"We were told that no matter what would happen they would change a vote in the Senate and they were not going to let it happen," Kerry said in an interview in Jacksonville with television stations WIXX and WTLV. "They don't want it to happen. It is very clear that even if they pass it in the Senate, they are not going to pass it in the House."

So, somehow, it is *still* the Republican's fault ?? :rolleyes:

freeby4me
05-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I only have one more thing to say (For now :p ) I WISH THIS YEAR WAS OVER!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

(I think many people would agree with me :D )

freeby4me
05-12-2004, 11:12 AM
But if it wasnt the republican's fault, It would be the democrat's fault. Someone is at fault, I guess it just depends on how far we dig :D

(Oops, That "no more comments" Didnt last long :eek: :D )

Jolie Rouge
05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, I only have one more thing to say (For now )
I WISH THIS YEAR WAS OVER!!!!!

(I think many people would agree with me )

HURRAY !! Something we can agree on !! :D