l l This is the house
l door l
------------------ ------
*l
*lThis is the wall, it is about 5 ft. tall
*l
l
------------

I have shrubs where the stars are. The ones on the inside edge and the outside edge died, but the one in the middle is doing just fine. The wall is too high to allow sunlight to get to the end ones. I need a shrub that I can put there that will grow without getting direct sunlight. It is not a very big area, so I need something pretty small. Any ideas?

justinenycole26
05-11-2004, 08:20 PM
ACK! It got all messed up because the spaces got taken out when I posted it!

jaybird
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Azaleas do well in shady areas, and you can keep them trimmed to whatever size you like. My entire front is shaded. I have rhodos, azaleas, a Japanese maple, a red twig dogwood, some grasses. Go talk to your local nursery, explain the area and conditions, see what they recommend.

ocvachick
05-11-2004, 08:49 PM
We usually go with Hostas in our really shady areas.. they grow fast here. But I agree, go to the nursery and ask questions.. they are always very helpful here.

MrsSpeed
05-12-2004, 07:01 AM
I was going to suggest Hostas too. We have some in our yard. Some produce flowers. Very low maintenance.

nanajoanie
05-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Tice and I raised and sold azaleas for years. Ask different nurseries which variety is best in your area. Ask neighbors also. You should get something locally grown for your area.

schsa
05-12-2004, 08:22 AM
I agree Azaleas and Hosta's love the shade. The hostas will bloom in mid summer and around here the azalea's have bloomed and are gone.

texasgander
05-12-2004, 09:37 AM
what about a wax leaf legustrum (sp?)....a hedge that doesn't really need anything done to it but trimming