PDA

View Full Version : School Bus accident....couldn't get home for hours

Blackberry
05-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I left at about 1 o'clock today to run some errands. When I got almost all the way home the road was blocked by flares and a cop car--we had to detour which is a very long route around to get back on the same road but further up. So I fianlly get all the way around and see that the road is blocked on this side too! There was a cop there directing traffic away so I asked if I could get to my apartments and he said no that there had been a school bus accident in front of them and there were "kids everywhere". He said it would be about 2 hours before I could get home. Great. He said it was a bus from Ranier middle school. I am homeschooling my 14 year old son this year, otherwise he would have been on that bus.

So then I'm thinking of my other son who is in grade school. He wouldn't be able to get home either. So I go to his school and just miss him--the bus already left. But they tell me at the office that his bus will be at the other nearby gradeschool at 3:30 so I went there and was able to find his bus and get him. He would have been stuck on that bus for 2 hours or more. Since we couldn't go home we did some shopping and ate dinner out. Then I brought home dinner because it would be too late for me to cook by the time I finally could get back home.

So we finally got home about 5pm. Watched the news and it looks like it was 2 school buses that collided. It showed tons of stretchers all over the road with kids on them. Lots of back and neck injuries. Hopefully not serious.

Well....that was my adventure today. :(

DOOFIS
05-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Thats scary!

queenangie
05-11-2004, 08:05 PM
How horrible for those children, parents, and for all that were impacted from this accident.
Just puts my heart in my throat, thinking it could be anyone of us having a child on that bus.

I wish they had seatbelts on all school buses, just like is mandated for cars.

Tracy'sMom
05-11-2004, 08:16 PM
OH My!!! I hope all that are involved are alright.

Dizzyontheweb
05-12-2004, 08:02 AM
My dd was once involved in a bus accident. My heart goes out to the parents of those children. I remember getting the call from the school secretary telling of the accident and my dd had been taken to the local children's hosp. I had to go around the accident and saw the bus laying on its side. The secretary had not been able to tell me her condition. My hubby was closer to the hosp. so he got there first. When I saw her they had cleaned off blood where someone had a nose bleed. Luckily she did not have the broken collarbone they thought she had. she had been thrown to the other side of the bus. It took her a while before she could go by the area without getting upset.

Angel Lips
05-12-2004, 09:24 AM
my heart goes out to the children involved along with their parents. thats a scary thing.

VALENA-)45
05-12-2004, 10:04 AM
All Of The School Buses Do Have Seatbelts. It Depends On What Size Bus Your Child Is On, The Little Yellow Bus, All Children Have To Buckle Up, No Matter What. On The Big Yellow Bus, The Children Don't Have To Buckle Up, If They Don't Want Too. I Worked On A Little Yellow School Bus, With A Child That Had Been In A Bus Accident, She Was Very Hard To Get Along With, Cause She Had A Fear That She Would Be In Another Bus Accident. I Ened Up Having A Talk With Her Grandmother And She Told Her I Was There To Protect Her, From Ever Getting Hurt On The Bus Again. Children, That Are In Bus Accidents, Have A Fear That Last For Quite A While, They Need To Go To Counsiling, To Help Them Get Over It. With It They Will Heal Alot Faster, Without It, They Go Through H#ll.

queenangie
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Our school buses do NOT have seatbelts here in central Illinois.
Bus stop is at my house twice a day.

aneisu
05-12-2004, 11:33 AM
It hasn't been that long since I rode a school bus - the regular size buses do not have seatbelts. The smaller buses do, but the buses most children ride do not. Only the driver's seat has a seat belt. At least in Louisiana...

Dizzyontheweb
05-12-2004, 01:46 PM
same in TN no seat belts

VALENA-)45
05-14-2004, 10:01 AM
This Is For All The Parents That Have Children In School And They Ride The School Buses. For The States That Don't Have Seatbelts On The School Buses, Here Is A Way To Get The State To Make Them Madatory. Petiton The State Goverment To Have The School Bus Companies, Put Seat Belts On Their Buses And Talk To The Teachers And Staff At Your Childrens Schools And Ask Them To Talk To The Bus Companies, About Putting Seat Belts On The School Buses. By All Of The Parents, Standing Up Together And Asking For The Safety Of Their Children, Will This Get Done. Seat Belts, Are Not Cheap, But The Companies Can Get A Break On The Prices, Of Them. I Hope This Is An Answer To The Question Of How To Get Seat Belts On The School Buses. In New York, City And State. They Are Mandatory. If You Start Now, You Could Have Seat Belts By The Next School Term, In September. Good Luck. This Is Worth The Fight, It's For The Children And Their Safty.

bell_peaches
05-14-2004, 10:05 AM
CHILLS UP AND MY BACK READING THAT. Pray no serious injurys. :eek: