PDA

View Full Version : 1943 penny how much is it worth?

mesue
05-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Several years ago I recall hearing something about certain 1943 pennies being worth a large sum of money since there were so few in existance, they were made out of something different. A friend has one but now I can't find any info on it. So does anyone know anymore news about this penny's worth or a website that might have info on it? TIA

cleaningla
05-11-2004, 12:05 AM
I searched under "rare 1943 penny".

Here's one link.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/capitol/1943penny.html

Here's another

http://www.sarasotacoin.com/rare_bronze_penny.htm

cleaningla
05-11-2004, 12:19 AM
There's also the silver colored war pennies, don't think they're really worth anything.

You can buy the whole set for arround $4-5, but they're not worth that.

mesue
05-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks to all, I will get the info to the friend who has the coin and let you all know if it turns out to be one of the rare ones, my son has seen it and was the one that told them to put it in a safe place, he said it was not the color of a regular penny so he is pretty sure that its one of the rare ones, wonder how one would go about getting it authenticated and then selling it?

mesue
05-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info I will tell them to test it with magnet, the guy kept it for some reason and did not know it might be valuable. It is a weird color and clearly has 1943 written on it. My son said it looked to be in mint condition. they are not trying to sell it to anyone they had no idea it might be worth something, I'm sure they will sell it as soon as they get it authenticated.

brooks45
05-12-2004, 12:03 AM
I have a bunch of old coins my dad left me! I was just going through them to see if there by chance was a 1943 penny but there wasnt one but did have 1927,1944,1953,1955 pennys and bunch more and have 10 bufflo nickels.. have 4 of the 1944 copper pennys..geeezzz! why could it not be the 1943! my heart bout stopped when i read the date lol! then realized it was 1944 penny! my dad also stuck a $1 silver certificate in the pouch of coins! it looks just like a $1 bill but its a silver certificate..wonder if its worth anything! this stuff really interests me! My dad gave me on my 16th birthday 2 -1857 1/2 cent calif gold coins..he had them set in earrings.. when i was 18 my dad had them appraised and at that time they where worth a $1000 and that was 32 years ago..so i know they are even more valuable now!

keep us posted what u find out!...keeping fingers crossed for u!

MamaFairal
05-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Yrs ago i worked in a convience store/gas station and some kid came in one night buying gas and paid me in a bunch of silver half dollars he prolly stole and i kept the oldest one which was 1898 and i still have it in a little ziploc type baggie tucked in my wallet and i havealways wondered if it worth anything........just never checked into it :)

Hmmmm??? Now ya got me thinking! :D

brooks45
05-12-2004, 02:16 AM
yea! she got me thinking and looking into this! I pulled out some of the old silver dollars i have and the oldest morgan silver dollar i have is 1899 but was looking into prices online and the 1893-S morgan silver dollar is going for $400,000 :eek: and the one i got is worth a couple thousand :eek: the only problem with any type collecting is..u have to find a buyer welling to buy it at the price of its value! but was jumping for joy when i found out the value of the oldest one i have!! too cool! hang onto it for a few more years and it might be worth $400,000 lol! never know!