PDA

View Full Version : My hamster is dying

suziebee20
05-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't even know what to do. He's really old, and he's laying there shaking and strugling but he can't even stand anymore. I feel so horrible because he's suffering and there is nothing I can do for him. :(

ezmoney163
05-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I am sorry for you. I knoow it is hard to lose something you love. Just hold him in your hands and let him know you are there for him until the end. (((HUGZ))) I am truely sorry for your pain!!

catssass
05-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Ahhhhh, I remember when our little guy died, he went lame the day before, it was so heart breaking, when I checked him in the morning he had passed...my heart goes out to you, hopefully he'll go quickly, I'll say a prayer for you two...:(

suziebee20
05-08-2004, 07:20 PM
It's just so hard watching him suffer. My mom came down and said let him die in peace so I put him back in his cage, I couldn't watch anymore. I went upstairs and threw up. I just feel like such a bad hamster mommy. I wish I would have held him more, and played with him a lot more often, but he made me sneeze like my guinea pigs do. Both his eyes were swollen shut and the bad thing is I never noticed. He was fine the other day- going up and down his tubes, running in his wheel, and I never bothered to check to see if anything was wrong. I just can't help but think it's my fault. I should have noticed that something was wrong with him. I feel so horrible, and maybe if I would have payed more attention to him, he'd still be okay. He's lived a long life though. We've had him for three or four years I think.

tiffany21
05-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I am sorry

queenangie
05-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Hamsters only live for 2 years, so you have really kept good care of your little furry friend.

We almost had to take ours in and were told the estimate on the telephone of $100 for the emergency vet just to walk in the door. X rays were another $200. And to help ease his passing along at the vet.....$45.00.

Sending you hugs!

justinenycole26
05-08-2004, 08:54 PM
It's just so hard watching him suffer. My mom came down and said let him die in peace so I put him back in his cage, I couldn't watch anymore. I went upstairs and threw up. I just feel like such a bad hamster mommy. I wish I would have held him more, and played with him a lot more often, but he made me sneeze like my guinea pigs do. Both his eyes were swollen shut and the bad thing is I never noticed. He was fine the other day- going up and down his tubes, running in his wheel, and I never bothered to check to see if anything was wrong. I just can't help but think it's my fault. I should have noticed that something was wrong with him. I feel so horrible, and maybe if I would have payed more attention to him, he'd still be okay. He's lived a long life though. We've had him for three or four years I think.

Honey don't beat yourself up. You will go crazy what-iffing. What's done is done. Hamsters are not the most social of animals and do not need a great deal of cuddle time. You have done what you can. PM me if you wanna talk.

Angel Lips
05-08-2004, 09:00 PM
IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR HAMSTER. *HUGGIES*

VALENA-)45
05-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I Am Very Sorry About Your Hamster. As A Kid We Had 2 Of Them, They Were Father And Son. My Sister Bought Them Home From School For Vaction, And They Grew On Us. She Took Them Back To School And A Few Days Later They Were Gone. My Mother Told Her To Bring Them Back Home, And We Buried Them In The Backyard. Give Your Hamster A Grave And You Will Feel Better, Putting Him To R.i.p.. Feel Better Soon.

suziebee20
05-08-2004, 10:12 PM
He's still struggling. He was laying in the corner in a little heap and I thought that was it. We went to Walmart and the grocery store because grandpa wanted me to keep my mind off him. He's still struggling. He lays there barely breathing, then her starts struggling and he drags himself accross the cage. He can't see, poor thing.

My mom said we have to put him in a little box and stick him in the trash. :( If we bury him in the yard the puppys will dig him up- there's no area to put him. I guess it makes sense though. I wouldn't want one of them digging him up and eating him. :( :(

stormyday
05-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Our Hamster died recently too, just got old. :( I took a nice soft rag and picked her up and she nuzzled up next to my neck and in a few minutes she was gone. I think she was just scared..didn't take long once I picked her up and held her.

Damnifiknw
05-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Sorry about your hamster. You can bury it without the dogs digging it back up. Place it in a ziplock bag, then in a box. Being in the ziplock bag will prevent the dogs from smelling it & digging it up.

DivineMsDi
05-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Sorry about your pet....this is the downside to pet ownership.. :(

LitWtch
05-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Suzie - we just went through this earlier this week. It is heartbreaking. Make certain he is kept warm and away from drafts, and since he is struggling to get anywhere, give him cucumbers or grapes close to him so that if he wants to eat, they are right there, and these two foods will help to give him fluids as well.
I'm sorry you are going through this.

schsa
05-09-2004, 06:40 AM
They are little tiny cretures and they don't live very long. I am sure he has had a very happy and healthy life and now he's old and he's going to go to hamster heaven where he will be very happy.

llbriteyes
05-09-2004, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your hamster. :( Losing a pet is never easy.

Linda

brumzoo
05-09-2004, 11:30 AM
I am so sorry about your hamster. Before I bought my house, I had (& still have) a ficus tree in a pot. I buried most of my babies there. Maybe you could bury him in a potted plant. Hugs to you & your hamster.

suziebee20
05-09-2004, 02:52 PM
I woke up this morning and thought he had passed, but he's still breathing. He looks like he's almost struggling for air. I thought last night that it wouldn't be long, but he's been laying in the same spot for the past 12+ hours now. He's twitching his little foot and I tried to give him a little water but he won't even budge. I feel so sad for him. I feel horrible just going about my day while he's laying there like this dying. We went to the dog beach, and now I'm on the computer. I'm just trying to keep my mind off it, but I'm so afraid that he'll be like this for days.

And then last night I couldn't sleep, I just layed there staring at his cage feeling bad and all. And then it hit me- we all die. Yeah I already knew that, but my grandpa is really old and I started worrying that he wouldn't be there to walk me down the aisle in a few years. I guess I just fear death, I mean everytime we go over a bridge I close my eyes, in fact I get horrible thoughts whenever I'm in a moving object, whenever I'm in a place like a small restaurant I think horrible things like "what if some guy just came in here and tried to kill everyone- there's no way to get out." I'm even kinda scared to go to Disneyland for grad night because "people die there." (Big Thunder Mountain derailed last year killing some man.) *sigh* this is so off topic I know, but I need to type and get it out. I'm so sick of being crazy and having all these horrible thoughts. :(

twinkiesmom
05-09-2004, 04:56 PM
{{suzie}}

suziebee20
05-09-2004, 08:21 PM
He's not going to make it. He's as stiff as a board, but he's still breathing. He's been in the same position all day long, I think he knows this is it and he's just waiting for the end. :( :( :( :( :( He's not even struggling anymore. I was petting him and he just kind of twitched his little hamster nose I don't even know if he can move anymore. *sigh* poor baby. I feel horrible- he's been suffering for so long and I can't do anything about it. I feel bad for trying to keep my mind off him, and part of me keeps thinking that he will be okay even though the chances are pretty much lost. :( I think I'll go to bed.

suziebee20
05-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the comfort from everyone who helped me thorugh this. Hammy passed away last night while we were sleeping. Poor thing. :( I'm glad it's over and he isn't struggling anymore, he did have a nice life.

DivineMsDi
05-10-2004, 07:02 AM
((SUZIBEE20)) sorry for the loss of your little pet. :(

fatesfaery
05-10-2004, 07:07 AM
{{{suziebee}}} I'm sorry about your hamster. We're going through the same thing with one of our cats, losing a pet is so hard. Your hamster had a good life with a loving owner, in the end I think that's all any animal wants.

nooshu
05-10-2004, 07:50 AM
:( ((((((((suziebee)))))))) I am so sorry for the loss of your hamster. You were a good "Mommy" and it lived a long and happy life. I'm glad that he is finally at peace-that must have been so difficult to watch.

dwayshan
05-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Sorry to hear that your pet is dying. That has to sux to watch your pet die (((Nooshu))) :(

Gherky
05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
{{{{{hugs}}}}} I know how you feel...I had to bury my little Buster last week.

ShaggysToy
05-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the comfort from everyone who helped me thorugh this. Hammy passed away last night while we were sleeping. Poor thing. :( I'm glad it's over and he isn't struggling anymore, he did have a nice life.
Suzie I'm sorry for your loss of little Hammy.

I am in the pet business and would like to help you if you are in this situation ever again. Hamsters don't live long usually, not usually more than 3 yrs. If you ever have a small animal that you know is suffering, put them in a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer. I know it sounds sick but with his body temperature going down, he will fall asleep and then a coma. He will be put out of his misery quick and painlessly. Just wanted you to know this since it's pretty much routine when we have a small rodent that is not going to make it or is suffering.

hotwheelstx
05-11-2004, 05:41 PM

There is nothing more that you could ask for than to have a good life. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully Hammy's in a better place and feeling no pain.

catssass
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Ohhhh Suzie, I am so sorry...

kelly12569
05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
(((((Suzie)))))

We have lost several hamsters and guinea pigs in the last couple of years. We just buried one of our guinea pigs last month as a matter of fact. We still have the mother though but I told my son , no more. They only live for a few years. Hope you are feeling better in knowing he is out of pain now.

big hugs