PDA

View Full Version : AAWWW I want one!!!

buttrfli
05-07-2004, 08:13 PM
A local rescue group rescued over 70 Bichon Frise from a puppy mill.. the story is sad, but I guarantee you that all the dogs will be adopted by the end of next week :)

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0504/145227.html

More Than 70 Dogs Rescued From Puppy Mill

Tulsa - We've all heard of puppy mills and the horrible conditions dogs live in. But, we rarely see the result of the breeding for profit. NewsChannel 8's Teri Bowers shows us the incredible story of almost seventy dogs rescued from inhumane treatment.

It's a surreal sight -- cage after cage of fluffy, white dogs -- almost seventy Bichon Frise rescued from puppy mills. The group that bought them out from under the millers found filthy conditions and countless health problems from deformed paws to rotten teeth.

"Hidden from the public, usually in rural areas, people don't know what's going on," says Robin Pressnall of Small Paws Rescue, Inc. "And, I think God chose me to do this because he knew how big my mouth was and he knew I was going to tell the whole world what's going on in the puppy mills of Missouri."

Most of us only see the product for sale -- cute puppies in a pet store.

"They don't realize their mom or dad are sitting in a wire cage possibly in their own feces on top of each other in wire cages," says Crystal McKenzie. "I don't think they realize these dogs are never going to know love, they're never going to know a home like this puppy is."

When people buy a puppy in a pet store, they may take it to a vet, get it checked out and think they have a healthy pet. But, they may have unforeseen health problems because they don't know how their parents were treated.

"We have one young dog who's blind and deaf and has neurological problems and was being sold as a breeder who would put your kids through college," Pressnall says.

Now, Small Paws Rescue and the veterinarian caring for this unusually large group just hopes to put as many dogs as possible into good homes because they know there will be more rescue dogs needing this space.

There is a 150 dollar fee for adopting the dogs. It covers the spay or neuter surgery as well as vaccinations and other health screenings. For more information, log on to

ahippiechic
05-08-2004, 07:40 AM
That is sad, but they are cute! I'm sure they will find good homes.

nanajoanie
05-08-2004, 07:44 AM
This just breaks my heart when greed takes over. The breeders should have to go live in a cage :mad:

twinkiesmom
05-08-2004, 07:54 AM
our miniature cocker spaniel was rescued from a puppy mill. She was a Mama. She is such a good dog. We got her 2yrs before we had kids. As soon as we come in the door w/the both of them (the twins) when they were born, she couldn't stop whining. In a way it was so cute, but on the otherhand it was sad. She was prolly thinkin of her young ones.

schsa
05-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Call them and tell them that you want one. Of the ones that were rescued some are going to be put to sleep due to disease and other problems that cannot be cured. But there will still be dogs that need a home. Make the call and see if they are available yet for adoption. Some people who ask will not follow through. You have a good chance of getting one. :)

buttrfli
05-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Call them and tell them that you want one. Of the ones that were rescued some are going to be put to sleep due to disease and other problems that cannot be cured. But there will still be dogs that need a home. Make the call and see if they are available yet for adoption. Some people who ask will not follow through. You have a good chance of getting one. :)

I would but the adoption fee is $150... a great price, but something I can't afford. As much as I complain about my city, there are enough wonderful people here who will have all these dogs adopted before you know it!

A few years ago another puppy mill was busted and over 200 dogs were rescued... by the end of the 10th day, ALL of the dogs had new homes! :D

DivineMsDi
05-08-2004, 09:40 AM
You see, this is what upsets me. I would like to get an Airedale or Welsh terrier when we are ready for a dog, but I will not pay some $astard puppy mill or pet store for the privilege....so I will try a rescue and hope to get the dog I want.

Hope the people who ran this puppy mill rot in hell. Animals should not be treated like this. :mad: