PDA

View Full Version : Aaaarrrrggg!!

Donnagg123
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Okay, Let me explain something before I get to the present.

When I was pregnant with my second son back in '99, my water broke 8 weeks early. I went to a major hospital around here and they said they wanted me to hold off on having the baby as long as possible so that he would be as big and formed as possible so they put me on complete bed rest at the hospital.

They said that as long as I was taking in fluids I would make more amniotic fluid. Well, because I my water broke I was open to infections so they put me on antibiotics (penicillin) to reduce the risk of infection.

After about a week on it I broke out into some major hives, I mean covering like ALL of my body including my feet! They said that it could either be an allergic reaction to the penicillin or an allergic reaction to the laundry soap the sheets are washed in or they said sometimes you can break out in a rash just from labor and such.

At that time, the rash lasted several days, but it slowly started going away. They said the only way for them to be sure of what it was is to do a biopsy of my skin, but the doc didn't recommend it since it was going away. Okay fast forward to present.

I was put on amoxicillin around the 30th of April for a UTI. Well, about 3 days ago my wrist started itching but I didn't think anything of it. Then my arm broke out then my lower back. I went to the hospital today covered again like I was back in '99. Apparently it WAS the penicillin and now I know I am allergic to any of the cillin family :(

They gave me benedril (sp?) and some other medication and it has helped tremedously. I am still covered in a horrible rash all over and in between the meds wearing off I itch like MAD!!!! It is horrible! I wish I had a camera so y'all could see. You would die! ARRRRGGG! NO MORE PENICILLIN!!!Penicillin is really good on infections and now I can take it and I am an itchy red mess!!! ARRRGGG!

Thansk for letting me whine!

gonnascream
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I know the feeling. I was given that stuff once, and it almost killed me. I have to warn any doctor I see, don't give me that or I will die.

VALENA-)45
05-07-2004, 04:00 PM
have you tried to take an aveno oatmeal bath. it may help with the itching. trying to help. hope it works for you. good luck.

schsa
05-07-2004, 04:51 PM
I have the same reaction to any of the 'cillins and sulfa drugs. Keep on the Benedryl. You'll sleep alot but the other drugs that they give you for hives will make you like Snow White. You can pretty much count on sleeping for years.

Let your pharmacist know so that if any doctor every prescribes any variation of what you have just taken, they can call the doctor and get you something differnet.

My hives lasted a month. It was pretty bad. I wore sweat suits to work for days because it's the only thing I could stand next to my skin. :eek:

llbriteyes
05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm really sorry for your pain! My youngest daughter is prone to hives. Try bathing in an oatmeal bath. It will help.

Linda

Angel Lips
05-07-2004, 05:46 PM
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR PAIN. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON. ATLEAST YOU FINALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO

Tracy'sMom
05-07-2004, 05:49 PM
So sorry to hear that. I hope You get better soon. I hate itching.

justinenycole26
05-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I know the feeling. I was given that stuff once, and it almost killed me. I have to warn any doctor I see, don't give me that or I will die.

Ditto. Penicillin allergy reactions get more severe each time you take it, sometimes the second round can kill you.

I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs. As my Dr. said, no cheap antibiotics for you!

Donnagg123
05-08-2004, 06:15 PM
thanks for all the well wishes and advice :) I'll have toi try some:) At this point I would cut off my left arm to stop itching :(