PDA

View Full Version : Letter Carriers to Help in Food Drive - Sat. May 8

Jolie Rouge
05-06-2004, 08:29 PM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20040505/2052784375.htm&photoid=/cp/news/top/i/postbox.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) - Letter carriers in more than 10,000 cities and towns will collect food donations along with the regular mail this Saturday in their annual food drive to help the nation's needy. The National Association of Letter Carriers said its 12th annual ``Stamp Out Hunger'' food drive will include all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, with donations going to local food banks and pantries.

Postal customers are asked to put nonperishable food items in a bag near their mailboxes before mail arrives. New York City and Chicago residents should take donations to their local post offices this week.

Carriers collected over 61 million pounds of food in last year's effort.

On the Net:

National Association of Letter Carriers: www.nalc.org

05/05/04 20:52

CAMSmama
05-07-2004, 05:07 AM
This is such a wonderful program, our church has a food pantry and with this program, the regional food bank was able to give us 1,000 pounds of food for it last year. what a lot of people don't know is that the churches and other agencies that hand out the food usually have to BUY the food from the regional food banks (although stuff is VERY cheap, like only 18 cents a pound) if the agencies have a lot of people to feed that small price can add up quickly. I'm so exited because our church pantry is almost empty again, so now we will be able to help more people!!!

DivineMsDi
05-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Yes, please do this. keep this bumped up!!! My mom and I just got some food together to give to the mail carrier.

You never know when you may be on the receiving end of charity...find some nice food in your cabinets and give it away tomorrow! :D

schsa
05-07-2004, 07:13 AM
I am hoping I get my bag today. I have tons of stuff to go and I want to get it out there for them. I think that this is such a worthy effort. People deserve to be housed and fed. Just the basics. I will be contributing and I hope that everyone else does as well so those on the board who need food can be fed.

amysusi
05-07-2004, 08:59 AM
I got my bag yesterday. Now I just have to remember to fill it. LOL I have 17 cans of green beans in the pantry!!

But I'm afraid someone will swipe it because our mailbox is on the curb of a very busy street. Still gonna put it out there though!

catdance
05-07-2004, 09:17 AM
I am defiantely doing this, "Ya never know when you might be in need", so I think this is good for my character, my morals, and even my ethic's..good "karma", is what I say..And "no", I am not giving Pumpkin Pie Filling"... :)

DivineMsDi
05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Bumping!

latestdish
05-07-2004, 05:28 PM
We are in need ourselves, and know how it feels to be hungry. I strongly believe in this cause, and am now packing my cans of food! In fact,
I did a lot of couponing, got a lot of frees, and hope it helps someone else!
Learned a lot of my lessons from you guys, how to shop more intelligently.
Thank you for that! (I grew up in, and remain, in a lot of poverty. Was not a lot of wisdom of that sort in the poor areas I am around.) Because of an RAOKs from this board, my family had Thanksgiving dinner, when we had a food shortage ourselves. My daughter had nice things given to her several times over a two year period I was on this board. Trying to give something back. Thank you for being such great people! I also posted this in Warning/FYI. Posted about a month ago, but post seems to have fallen off the board. (I posted at the one month mark, so people would have enough notice to shop, who chose to give). In fact, I believe in this so much, if you assent to be part of this RAOK, I will give a potluck of coupons to the person in a hat I pick at random who specifically posts that they gave and would like to be considered. I pay postage.

Tasha405
05-08-2004, 11:44 AM
I think this is wonderful! I sat my bag out this morning for the mail man and I must say he was very busy picking up all the stuff that people put out for him. :D

I gave cereal, several cans of soup, some vegetables and 3 bags of hard candy & gum. :)

twinkiesmom
05-08-2004, 11:47 AM
ohh!!! Thank you for reminding me!!! I forgot! Our mail man comes in 45 min. Thank you for the reminder! We never did get a bag, but hey, I got tons of plastic bags from the store. I just put a sticky note on it saying it was for the Letter Carriers Food Drive.

CAMSmama
05-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to all who donated, our church food pantry recieved 1,000 pounds of food again this year, we spent this past week picking it up, transporting, and sorting it so now we won't have to turn anyone away if they need help, and we won't be worried about feeding our regulars (we have a box pickup program tht serves about 30 families evry month)

Jolie Rouge
05-13-2004, 08:14 PM
CAMSmama - that is wonderful ! Our Daisy and Brownie troops that meet at church collect canned goods at each meeting as "den dues" and they go directly to the Church's Pantry.

latestdish
05-18-2004, 01:03 PM
I messed up and forgot about the RAOK I offered. Looked through a lot of posts of mine, and found it. Lisagirl, please pm me with addie. You won RAOK.
TY, Joy