PDA

View Full Version : What was he thinking?.......advice needed

CABANN
05-05-2004, 10:05 AM
I have 4 kids (16-6) the older two, and the youngest have always been really well behaved in school, and I never hear a bad word about them. But my 7 year old son, who is in first grade, has been causing son disruptions in his class recently. This all started after his teacher left because she had a baby (she was a wonderful teacher), and a first time teacher came into take her place. She doesn't have great control of the class, but most of the kids are well mannered. I was working in my sons class last Friday, and he and another little guy kept playing as the teacher was trying to teach. I caught them a few times and would shake my head no at my sons friend, but Steven couldn't see me because his back was to me. I was in the middle of testing students, or I would of went over and made Steven stop. Anyways after being told to stop 3 times by the teacher, he finally stopped. But after school I had a long talk with Steven and told him that behavior was not allowed and if I hear that he is not staying focus on his work again, he will be grounded. Everything was fine until yesterday when he arrived home from school. He went straight to his bed room and I could hear him playing with money. I asked him where the money came from and he said he sold someone yu-gi-oh cards. I asked him how much money he had, and he showed my $15 in bills and change. I then asked him what cards he sold and he told me one was a really rare card worth $10 dollars and 19 other cards, some good, some just commons. I didn't think anything more about it but I did tell him he should not be selling cards at school,and he needed to make sure it was ok with the other kids parents. Well I came to find out from my 13 year old son that the rare card he sold was fake and the other cards were all commons. And the bad thing is, Steven knew that card was fake and he purchased a whole box of fake cards for $2. When I found out that he cheated the other kid, I took the money away, told Steven that when I am at the school working I will tell the teacher what went on and give the little boy his money back, plus I will let him keep the cards. I also banned Steven from taking any more cards to school, even on his sharing day. I can't believed he did this. I am going to be so embarrassed when I talk to his teacher. I have been a parent at that school since my oldest starting kindergarten, and now he will be a junior in high school next year. After all these years, I have never once had problems at that school with the kids, until Steven.

Do you think I am being too hard on him?

schsa
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Not at all. If you don't stop it now, he will keep doing it. I would make him return the money and use this as a lesson so that he knows that he can't lie to people and get away with it. He should have to apologize to the little boy and give him the money back. It shouldn't come from you. He needs to be humbled a bit for what he did. And it won't be a lesson that he will soon forget.

Most teachers realizes that as school comes to an end, kids start to go crazy. It might have something to do with spring as well. So don't assume that his behavior is anything other than spring fever. At least you can watch him when you are there. And let the teacher know that if he starts acting up, she can call you directly. New teachers do need some guidence from parents who have more experience.

CABANN
05-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks schsa, he looks so sweet and innocent (and he use to be) but even today the school called because he was in the office trying to pull another one. I posted about that in off topic. I just have to stand my ground with him.

twinkiesmom
05-06-2004, 02:16 PM
no, you were not being hard on him, you are teaching him a lesson. That lesson will be valuable later in life. I also work at my kids' school. I know how it is when your 'brat' kid acts up. lol In fact, my 7yr old ds is in the process of writing 100x "I will not talk when I'm supposed to listen" He was talking w/a friend during someone elses 'show n share' time. And another time, he chose to run his yap when the class was supposed to be practicing for the 'Mother's Day Tea' ;) btw - I'm not sure about the rules in the classroom at our school . . . . but Ugioh cards are off limits during recess. There musta been some sort of incident like yours or something that the principal just said . . . . "nope, keep em in your bookbag at lunch"