PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a yardsale......AARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Angelseyes28
05-04-2004, 05:47 AM
I know the extra money comes in handy, and having a yardsale DOES unclutter my house but man having one is not only alot of work......it's a pain in the butt!!!! :eek: The sale is set for Saturday morning and I am no where near ready for it! ARGH!!!!!!!
Ok I think I feel a little better now:p

DivineMsDi
05-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Good luck with your sale, Angeleyes28...hope you have nice weather for it. I remember we had a garage sale when we sold our house and it was about 100 degrees...not many takers that day...

Make big $$$$. ;)

rlynn411
05-04-2004, 05:57 AM
I feel for you! I've given up on having garage sales..... just to much darn work! We just donate and deduct our donations at tax time. So much easier.

Angelseyes28
05-04-2004, 06:08 AM
LOL Divine I had one in temps like that once.....needless to say we didn't have many people come either! It's suppose to be sunny and 85 Saturday so it will be perfect weather, now I just hope people don't choose Saturday to be couch potatoes all day:p

That doesn't sound like a bad idea rlynn411 except for the fact that hubby just got over kidney stones so I could really use the money for the hospital bills:( Oh well, I will suffer through the sale and hopefully by the end of the day I will be glad I did lol.

schsa
05-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Make good signs in big letters so that people will be able to find you easily, such as My Loss, Your Gain. It's Gotta Go.

Tag items and be willing to negotiate if you don't want to have to drag it back into the house.

And you still have plenty of time. ;)

Urban Cowgirl
05-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Good Luck......I would go if you were in San Antonio ....I love yard sales! :D

DivineMsDi
05-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Some more tips...you can advertize (for free) online if you can find a local yard sale website.

When it gets late and you don't want to drag stuff inside, put up a sign or say to customers that whatever they can carry in a bag or whatever can go for $5.00.

If you have any really great items that will drag them in, put them outfront.

Offer some cold drinks? Maybe iced tea? For free. Have lots of bags (a trip to the supermarket may be in order).

Offer buy one get one free.

Keep an eye on your $$$. Hope you have help for those bathroom breaks. :)

PS If you have Spanish speakers come, you may want to have a translator or simple number translations....

llbriteyes
05-04-2004, 08:19 AM
My sister is crazy. She has one every year. I don't know HOW she can accumulate so much stuff in a year, but she does.

Personally, I ebay. It might take longer to sell, but it does, and money for the items is usually more than would be in a yard sale. Its nice to have money trickling in all the time. I love to go to yard sales so I can find great deals and sell them. Usually, I get so attached to the item though, that it stays here.

Linda

Technologist
05-04-2004, 08:41 AM
ummmm, would you happen to have an extra banning wand laying around, for cheap.... mine is wore out!

J/K.... good luck with your yard sale, good weather, and make lots of money!

zitra
05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Good luck with your sale, Angeleyes28...hope you have nice weather for it. I remember we had a garage sale when we sold our house and it was about 100 degrees...not many takers that day...

Make big $$$$. ;)

Our WHOLE town does yardsales on the 4th of July, usually over 100 with verid bad humidity, every time. People ALWAYS come frm out of town to go to the yard sales ..it's like and all day thing for some people, we and other have made alot of money, in the past selling bottled water, freezer pops, frozen candy bars, airheads, etc.

kelly12569
05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
I have one twice a year. Having my first one memorial weekend. Its a great weekend for yard sales here because the next town over has alot of things going on that weekend that really brings in alot of out of towners. Good luck with yours!! ;)

ezmoney163
05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Good luck!! Wanna come help me get ready to do one?? I need to do this badly!!

Angelseyes28
05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I still haven't gotten anything accomplished....I am such a procrastinator :eek: Oh well it will all fall together sooner or later(probably the night before the sale):p

I generally have a good crowd. I have 2 sales a year so generally all of my regular crowd shows up. I ran the ad in the paper to come out today, so that is one thing taken care of. There is 4 of us setting up so at least we will have alot of stuff:D Actually between the 4 of us we have a little bit of everything....baby strollers, appliances, twin bed, clothes, toys and every other thing you can imagine(except for a banning wand):p I'm just really not in a yardsale having mood lol.

hotdoglove
05-04-2004, 01:32 PM
good luck with your sale! i am getting ready to have my first one soon and i think i'm going to put my dh in it lol!!!! well better not I want customers!

nightrider127
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
I, along with 2 friends/coworkers are having a yard sale in 2 weeks. I hope we do well. We are donating all proceeds to a friend who just lost her son and had no insurance.

We have been getting ready for the sale for quite sometime. I found garage sale labels with different money amounts on them. 350 for a buck so all of you that are having sales may want to check at your Dollar Tree to see if they have them. We will be setting up the night before and covering everything with a tarp in case of rain.

zitra
05-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I love having yard sales, and goign to yard sales, But i don't like setting up the tables, and putting everythign away..I don't mind pricing, making signs or any of that stuff though.. But I usually do sell bottled water (I get the aldi brand bottled water for like $2 for 10 bottles) and sell it for $1 a bottle, we sell frozen air heads for .50, and freezer pops for .25. My sis makes homemade cookies (sugar/oatmeal chocolate chip (large cookies) and sells them for $1 each~she makes ALOT of money doing this. Also her kids love having a kool-aid stand (during the sale) and usually make good money at it.

Angelseyes28
05-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Good luck to everyone on your upcoming yardsales:) Well I got 5 more bags of things priced yesterday so at least I am making headway now lol.

The ideas about selling drinks and cookies etc is great but there is no way I would have time to make cookies. Might do the drinks though....maybe :o
Thanks for all the well wishes, I will have to let everyone know how I do after the sale:)

KeliMom
05-05-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm wanting to have a garage sale this weekend too! Friday and Saturday. Yet here I sit, not doing a darn thing about it! :rolleyes:

I need some "kick-in-the-butt" vibes, and sending you good luck! :D

Angelseyes28
05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm wanting to have a garage sale this weekend too! Friday and Saturday. Yet here I sit, not doing a darn thing about it! :rolleyes:

I need some "kick-in-the-butt" vibes, and sending you good luck! :D

*Starts kicking KeliMom in the butt* Oh oops you said Kick in the butt VIBES....my bad :o Get up and get busy woman....you have alot to do:p
(Easy for me to say since I am sitting here doing nothing:D)

suziebee20
05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Good luck and I hope you get rid of it all and roll in the money!

Our neighborhood garage sale is next month and my mom said anything that doesn't sell this year halfway through, we are leaving it in the alley and shutting our garage. Someone is bound to "steal" it. :p

KeliMom
05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, I opened up my garage today, because the people across the street were having a sale and getting ALOT of customers!

I made a whole 20 bucks! :D

Now it's supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday.... :rolleyes:

mcpixy
05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Ick last time I had a yard sale people wanted to pay me like 10 cents for stuff, nobody was willing to pay what anything was worth. Now I stick to selling online. Good luck, though!