PDA

View Full Version : What's the going rate for childcare?

NoFoolPrice
05-04-2004, 01:24 AM
I just finished taking care of some friend's children while they went to Hawaii. Wonderful kids, I love them dearly. However, mine are a bit older now and I'm kind of past the days of little ones and I kept them for 9 days, three children and their dog. Plus my old dog and new puuppy and my two kids and had a house full of workmen installing new central air and heat (just in time for So Calif heat to hit, it's a blessing). End of spring semester at school and I'm doing finals. So, I've been busy. Anyway, they said they would pay me $300 for watching the kids, somehow the dog got tossed in for free. They paid me $100 in advance when they dropped off kids and dog. I really didn't want the responsibility but somehow got talked into it. The parents were supposed to pick them up on the way back from airport this morning, I had the kids packed and ready, they called a few hours later and said ' we'll pick them up this evening if that is no problem, and by the way, we'll pay you a hundred each friday until you are paid off if that is ok. I said 'no, it is not ok, I put out over $150 already and I cant afford it, the agreement was that you would pay me the remaining $200 when you got back. She said 'What did you do with the $100 we already gave you?" It ticked me off, so I didn't bother to explain to her that I had to go out and buy pull ups and snacks and groceries and juice and magic markers and such for 3 kids for 9 days. I also bought them a pool, my decision I know so I should eat the cost, but it was over 100 here, no AC yet, scorching, so I blew $35 on a pool for the kids which they popped in 5 days.
Anyhoo! What is the going rate for childcare? I had a 4, 6, and 10 year old for 8 nights and I paid all expenses. What is reasonable?

justinenycole26
05-04-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure what the "going rate" would be for a situation like that, but the bottom line is you had an agreement and they did not abide by it.

It is none of her DA*N business what you did wit hthe other $100.

She also should have made sure you had Pull-ups and plenty of things to keep them busy. It should not have been your responsibility to buy those things. And why the HELL didn't they pick them up when they were supposed to? It sounds like you have seriously been taken advantage of.

How good of a friend is this? Cuz it sounds like you may end up having to get forceful to get your money. Like small claims court. If she is really a friend it should not have to go that far.

VALENA-)45
05-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Honey, they took you for a ride. 3 kids for 9 days and you had their dog, too. they should have offered to pay you at least 5-600.00, for all of that time, plus you had to feed them, give them baths, wash their clothes, and everything else a parent has to do for them. thank god those kids didn't get sick and they had to come back home early from their trip. and you had to walk their dog and feed it, too. they just out and out robbed you. if that is your friend, you need to get rid of her, cause she is not treating you right, she is taking advantage of you and your kindness. and then she has the nerve to say she'll pay you some every week, until it's paid up. i think she and whomever else that went on that trip with her have lost their minds whereever they were at and needs to go back and find them. she did you dead darn wrong. i would give her the kids and the dog and never have anything else to do with them. if they do this to you, imagine how the treat other people. that is not right, and that is not fair for them to do you that way.

justme23
05-04-2004, 02:50 AM
When I keep my cousins kid I get 20 dollars a day... and that's cheap... that's 100 a week and most daycares charge 200 a week per child... I assure you... I would get 100 dollars for 5 days for ONE child. I would expect $540 plus expenses... what parent in their right mind thinks that the pay is supposed to purchase supplies... I would collect ALL the receipts and I would expect to be reimbursed... these ppl know they are taking you for a ride, anyone w/ 3 kids KNOWS better.

bribella
05-04-2004, 04:02 AM
When I keep my cousins kid I get 20 dollars a day... and that's cheap... that's 100 a week and most daycares charge 200 a week per child... I assure you... I would get 100 dollars for 5 days for ONE child. I would expect $540 plus expenses... what parent in their right mind thinks that the pay is supposed to purchase supplies... I would collect ALL the receipts and I would expect to be reimbursed... these ppl know they are taking you for a ride, anyone w/ 3 kids KNOWS better.
ITA~ If I were you call around to a few daycares and see what there weekly rate for 3 kids would be and then you would need to tack on more $ since you also watched them at night. I don't think that you should have to pay for supplies for the kids out of the money they were suppose to pay you. When I take my kids to Grandmas house for her to watch them for just a couple hours, I make sure ther are plenty diapers, wipes, toys, clothes, ect. I even pack them little lunches(you'd think they were going to be gone forever!lol)and I pay her on top of that. Because she is doing me a favor as I know that 3 kids are a lot of work.They seem like they are taking advantage of you because of the "friendship". Maybe try talking to them again and if they are still being jerks and you have your reciepts maybe look into taking them to small claims court. After all they are not your kids and you did them a HUGE favor! Good Luck!

JKATHERINE
05-04-2004, 04:21 AM
I agree with what the above posters have said. First of all, $300 is waaaaaay too low. I am a home childcare provider and I can tell you that that amount is highway robbery! You should NOT have had to use the money you were supposed to be paid with to buy supplies and entertainment things for the children. Unfortunately, you did agree to the sum that they offered you, but please be sure you stand your ground and get it back. And if anyone ever asks you to do this again, you may want to come here first and we'll let you know the 'going rate,' then you may want to put it all in writing just to cover your butt. I really hope you get your money. :)

zitra
05-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Around here it's generally $30-$35 per day per child.

buttrfli
05-04-2004, 04:51 AM
My neighbor has a home daycare and she charges either $20/ per day (per child) or $5/hr for drop in's. Next time I would get the money up front.

freeby4me
05-04-2004, 05:08 AM
I gotta say I agree with what everyone else is saying. How dare they call and ask if they can pick those kids up "in the evening" HELLO???? WHERE THE **** HAVE THEY BEEN FOR THE LAST WEEK??? and they dont even want to see their kids :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Wowsers, Then to top it off, To have the gull to ask you what you did with that hundred. Sheesh, I'd take that hundred and slap her upside the head with it. I hate hate hate hate hate people like that. Sleeze, thats all they are. I hope they never get to take another vacation in their entire life. :mad:

ezmoney163
05-04-2004, 05:11 AM
When they say $20 a day or whatever ~ here that means $20 for up tp no more than 8 1/2 hours. After that it is the cheapest , I seen. around $4.50. You got ripped big time hon, I hope you can some hwo recoop your losses. You also had children who are at stages so I am sure you got the attitudes that accompany them. AND A DOG!! OMG!! Better you than me. No way would I ever pet sit without LARGE compensation. NO way!! Good luck and hugs to ya!!

schsa
05-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Keeping three kids, 24/7 and a dog for 9 days? I would be going for something closer to $800. I pay my dog sitter $10 for every visit at 2 visits a day while I am gone. So you are way under charging.

NoFoolPrice
05-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just love the people on this board! I felt pretty sure I was taken advantage of, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being over sensitive, you all let me know I have every right to be upset with the parents, thank you. Lol, the parents told me yesterday, 'In two years we're going to Tahiti, but it will be easier for you then because the kids will be older." I don't think so! I knew I was underpaid, from what you all say I was way underpaid. I think it was the attitude that bothered me the most - not picking them up when they were supposed to, asking me what I did with the $100 advance and then informing me they will pay me when they want to. I get the impression from them that they did me a huge favor by paying me to take care of there kids and I should be grateful.
Also, I didn't mention it before, but our puppy chewed a hole in their dogs bed, they say the bed cost $50, although I checked at WalMart yesterday and found similar beds for $18, I think they will probably dock my pay for the bed. I feel somewhat responsible, although I was not paid to watch the dog. I really don't think I should have to pay for a new dog bed because I did them the favor of watching the dog for free. I'm kind of on the fence on that one. Is it my responsibility to pay for a new bed? I think I am going to end up losing money in the long run over this fiasco.

llbriteyes
05-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Wow! You got ripped off big time. Valuable lesson - Get paid upfront. Your friend stinks.

It was wrong of her not to keep to the agreement. It is none of her business what you did with the $100.00. You went way above the call of duty.

I hope you get the rest of it.

Linda

ezmoney163
05-04-2004, 10:28 AM
OMG!!! If you replace the dog bed you are just saying go ahead and walk all over me!! Geez!!! No way!!! Like Tine said make a "bill" right on your computer, print it out hand it to them. I am sorry but your "friends" can afford to go to Hawaii for that long they can afford to pay you what is due. I seriously would figure out how many hours they were supposed to be with you. = amount then geez they were late because they wanted to take their time =late charge (my sitter used to charge me an extra $5 an hour for late fees (unless other arrangements were made). As for Kennel fees add em up too. Food is another expense laundry soap, toilet paper, soap shampoo and toothpaste. Not to mention the gas you probably had to use to take them to school or other activities. As for the $100 it is not any of her business what you done with it, more than likely you spent it on her dog and kids. Ugh!!! I would be billing them soon before you fall over the fence and do it again!!

latestdish
05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
In Pittsburgh, PA, daycare ranges the gamut in cost from around $5 an hour in a family care setting, to 2000 an month plus. A lot of former programs that helped with scholarships like the Catholic Charities Family Day Care Scholarship program stopped. Dd (2) was on their waiting list for 2 years.
(I am really picky who can watch my child.) Why did a lot of the lower cost daycares shut their doors? Because it takes money to raise a child the right way. I am low income, and am not always able to afford daycare. However, I do not consider it right, either, to dump my daughter on someone else. That is right for no one. If you are able to afford to go to Hawaii, you can afford to pay for your children's and dog's care. You should have been given at least $700-$750 where I come from. We are in a city, however, that is cheaper to live in. There is no tax, for now, on food, clothes, etc. (Most food. Some, like restaurant food, is taxable.) This may change, however, because the city is in extreme fiscal distress. That's another rant for a different day, however. Around here, however, not only are you supposed to provide for your child, decent people at least offer to provide some partial food or pizza money for the baby sitter/child care provider. It makes me VERY angry that someone would care so little for a 4 year old (They are still in pull-ups? Makes me wonder how neglected they are the rest of the time, too.) that their basic supplies like juice, etc, were not left. That is illegal child neglect where I come from in this neck of the woods. They are very lucky you did not call CYF (local child protective services) for neglect and leaving them until that night, or attempting to. Day cares often charge $1 + a minute late fees for every minutes you are late past their closing time. They do call CYF if it goes as long as you were saying it went on (hours), in the abscence of an emergency. Even there, they should have had a relative, etc, pick up the kids from your house. People's kids should be first, not last. Also, they should have been brought along on that vacation. Ugh. That makes me see red big time.

Linus1223
05-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just love the people on this board! I felt pretty sure I was taken advantage of, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being over sensitive, you all let me know I have every right to be upset with the parents, thank you. Lol, the parents told me yesterday, 'In two years we're going to Tahiti, but it will be easier for you then because the kids will be older." I don't think so! I knew I was underpaid, from what you all say I was way underpaid. I think it was the attitude that bothered me the most - not picking them up when they were supposed to, asking me what I did with the $100 advance and then informing me they will pay me when they want to. I get the impression from them that they did me a huge favor by paying me to take care of there kids and I should be grateful.
Also, I didn't mention it before, but our puppy chewed a hole in their dogs bed, they say the bed cost $50, although I checked at WalMart yesterday and found similar beds for $18, I think they will probably dock my pay for the bed. I feel somewhat responsible, although I was not paid to watch the dog. I really don't think I should have to pay for a new dog bed because I did them the favor of watching the dog for free. I'm kind of on the fence on that one. Is it my responsibility to pay for a new bed? I think I am going to end up losing money in the long run over this fiasco.
Well if they charge you a for dog bed, make sure that you bill them for all your expenses - the pull ups, the food, the children's entertainment...

zitra
05-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Well if they charge you a for dog bed, make sure that you bill them for all your expenses - the pull ups, the food, the children's entertainment...

I agree, and find out the going kennel rate, and charge them for keepign the dog as well.

chicodog
05-04-2004, 04:15 PM
They can afford to go to Hawaii and later go to Tahiti and they can't pay you!! I guess their fun comes first.

zitra
05-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Also wanted to say you are MUCH nicer than I am...whether they were a friend or even family, if they showed up with dog(s) in tow. I would have said *point blank* SORRY I can NOT take your dog. If they had noone else and had to cancel their vaction, so be it. I can NOT stand people who don't give notice/ask before they just show up, and EXPECT you to do extra work becuase they are in a bind.

If there EVER is a next time, I would before had how much $ you expect to be paid, and that you would also be expected to be paid whatever out of pocket exspenses you incurred for their children (and animal if you agree to sit for the dog again..this should included activities, food, etc.) upon their return, as well as ALL babysitting money, upon their return. I would also tell them (if you are not planning on dog watching, upfront that they will need to get a kennel lined up, if not I would charge an extra fee, on top of everything else for dog walking).

guesswho!
05-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Around here the rate is $600.00 week + expenses. I expect the families to leave cash for misc expenses.Heck, if the parents are on vacation I figure the kids deserve some fun, too! (You did that w/the pool).

As others have said, if there's a next time, get your money up front. But hindsight is always 50/50 & you were acting as a friend & a darn good one, if I may say so...

M/b your "friends" spent too much on their trip & now don't want to pay you??? :eek: Too bad, they should make up for all losses you incurred & expenses relating to their kids. Good grief, if someone went to all the trouble you did for me, I'd feel guilty & want to pay them extra! LOL. You have a court case, if u want to go that route. Document everything & put it in writing, take pics.

About the kiddy pool. What store did you buy it at? If you have ur receipt, I'd call the store & complain & ask for a rfd. Probably will need to speak with a mgr...frankly, I thought pools were supposed to last at least the summer mths! If u used a CC for the purchase, you could dispute...with quality problems...just some ideas... you shouldn't be out ANY money from keeping the kids & the dog!

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Shancopp
05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I have a daycare and I charge $2 an hour...that'd be 146 dollars a day for all 3 x 8 days would be 1184! Even if you cut them a break for the sleeping hours (my nite shift is cheaper...1.50 an hour per child)....that'd only be about another 100 off....so 1000-1100 would be an "hourly rate". And if you had to provide the food and pullups! HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya got ripped, dear! Sorry.

Kitcat
05-04-2004, 11:07 PM
I am so sorry your "friends" did that to you. Stick to your guns and if you have to take them to court. I really hope you can get your money plus all the expenses you put out for. I would chose not to do it again also. Good luck hun

I have three kids also but would never ever ask such a thing. Heck my kids wouldn't let me go to Hawaii without them anyway.

Quaker_Parrots
05-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Did these people not have family they could have left the kids with (simply put, family had probably already told them No-Way) I wouldn't watch them when they go to Tahiti, I have a niece that takes vacations without her kids, and in my opinion, if the kids can't go, you shouldn't go either.

ladyseals
05-05-2004, 06:22 AM
WoW! I rarely get upset, but reading your story makes me mad. Even if it was my dear old bestest friend in the whole world, if I did not already own her something big, I would not have done it, without being compensated well, that was over 200 hours of your time, you still have to be there for them through the night. I have a hard enough time entertaining my 1 and 3 year old and we don't have a dog. So, if someone brought this to me, I would have to get payed because it takes time, money, energy, patience, know-how, commitment to the kids, plus the fact that it wears on you and they want you to give your %110! It is none of her business how you spend the money. You don't pay a sitter and then ask "What are you gonna do with the money?"

Atleast, we would have a list: (AND they should have brought you back a very nice gift.)

Money needs to be up-front in this case.
200 for 4 year old__________ $200
150 for other two__________ $300
Dog and dog food__________ $50
Food, Milk, and snacks
for all three__________ $120 (15 per day)
Entertainment__________ $50
Personal Care items
(Pull-ups. etc.__________ $20
Misc..
Gas money, medicine
or whatever__________ $30
Total is $256 per child
(Dog is figured in)
=__________ $770

That IS reasonable for 3 kids, a dog for 8 days!

And, YES I would have a contract to be signed!

For most people I know good child care is $200 for one week, one child, days only and you BETTER NOT be late, it will be $2 a min. AND, if they are not potty trained, tack on an extra $50!

Now YOU need a vacation! However, I do hope you get payed and they might as well forget about the stupid dog bed, thats silly to even ask you that. There was no agreement to even have a dog so if they deduct for the dog bed, I would take them to small claims and have them pay for all the court fees.

PrncsNYC
05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
when i was sitting i charged/got between $12-25 an hour. NYC/Los Angeles

mcpixy
05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Seriously, you should have your so-called "friend" read this thread. Maybe that'll will open up her eyes and she'll pay you what you deserve. I can see why you were trusting of her since she was a friend, but sadly unless you had a contract people just can't do the verbal agreement thing anymore. Just not enough honesty in this world.

FreeBnutt
05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Dang, no where does it say what state you live in. If it was anywhere around me, I have TONS of friends who would be thrilled to death to pay you $600 for the nine days to just keep the dog!!!!!!!!! and that is a steal!! oh but that would include the dog food, so not all of it would be profit :( sorry

NoFoolPrice
05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Dang, no where does it say what state you live in. If it was anywhere around me, I have TONS of friends who would be thrilled to death to pay you $600 for the nine days to just keep the dog!!!!!!!!! and that is a steal!! oh but that would include the dog food, so not all of it would be profit :( sorry

Lol, I live in So Calif and I have a big back yard, for $600 for nine days I would gladly open a kennel!
I wanted to let you all know that they are paying me the full $200 this weekend, no mention of me having to pay for the dog bed, so at least I'm going to get my money. It's a bit late now to bill for expenses, but I did learn a lesson about the value of my time and my tendency toward generosity that I cannot afford.
You all sure set me straight! It seems as if everyone always needs something from me and I just put myself out there too much. I'm always doing some favor for some friend and find myself overworked and stressed out because of it. Then I sometimes end up resenting the friend or feeling like a martyr because they don't seem to appreciate or value what I gave up for them. This last situation and all your responses have made me reevaluate priorities. I'm going to make a huge effort to say 'no' when it is not reasonable for me to do a favor or I just plain don't want to do it.
Thank you for all your responses, I appreciate the honesty, BBS members allow no BS!

Unicornmom77
05-07-2004, 12:22 PM
In Pittsburgh, PA, daycare ranges the gamut in cost from around $5 an hour in a family care setting, to 2000 an month plus. A lot of former programs that helped with scholarships like the Catholic Charities Family Day Care Scholarship program stopped. Dd (2) was on their waiting list for 2 years.
(I am really picky who can watch my child.) Why did a lot of the lower cost daycares shut their doors? Because it takes money to raise a child the right way. I am low income, and am not always able to afford daycare. However, I do not consider it right, either, to dump my daughter on someone else. That is right for no one. If you are able to afford to go to Hawaii, you can afford to pay for your children's and dog's care. You should have been given at least $700-$750 where I come from. We are in a city, however, that is cheaper to live in. There is no tax, for now, on food, clothes, etc. (Most food. Some, like restaurant food, is taxable.) This may change, however, because the city is in extreme fiscal distress. That's another rant for a different day, however. Around here, however, not only are you supposed to provide for your child, decent people at least offer to provide some partial food or pizza money for the baby sitter/child care provider. It makes me VERY angry that someone would care so little for a 4 year old (They are still in pull-ups? Makes me wonder how neglected they are the rest of the time, too.) that their basic supplies like juice, etc, were not left. That is illegal child neglect where I come from in this neck of the woods. They are very lucky you did not call CYF (local child protective services) for neglect and leaving them until that night, or attempting to. Day cares often charge $1 + a minute late fees for every minutes you are late past their closing time. They do call CYF if it goes as long as you were saying it went on (hours), in the abscence of an emergency. Even there, they should have had a relative, etc, pick up the kids from your house. People's kids should be first, not last. Also, they should have been brought along on that vacation. Ugh. That makes me see red big time. :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad: :confused: :eek: :(

*applauds Latestdish* *clapping loudly!!*

NoFoolsPrice, you are a generous big hearted Mom, you opened your home for these kids! What a blessing for these kids!! My only advice is just focus on the fun and joy you brought the kids!! And I am glad you are getting your money!!

~Wendy

kimp67
05-08-2004, 06:25 PM
WOW! Who in the world goes on a 9-day vacation without their kids????

justinenycole26
05-08-2004, 09:07 PM
OK, I have seen several posters saying that people should not go on vacation without their kids. I have to disagree with that. I am going to Vegas for 4 days this summer without my kids. There is no way in HE!! I could be without them for 9 days tho. I also should mention that my kids want for nothing and the money I am spending is extra, it is not taking away from my kids in the least. We are going to do family stuff this summer too so we will be spending plenty of time with them. We are going because my BIL is getting married in Vegas and there are not going to be any kids going. But my kids are staying with family and they owe me so much babysitting it's not even funny.
Anyway, I do not think it is totally terrible and neglectful to take an adult vacation. I have been a mom for 8 years and have never been without my kids for more than overnight. Is it so wrong to take a little breather?

zitra
05-09-2004, 12:14 PM
OK, I have seen several posters saying that people should not go on vacation without their kids. I have to disagree with that. I am going to Vegas for 4 days this summer without my kids. There is no way in HE!! I could be without them for 9 days tho. I also should mention that my kids want for nothing and the money I am spending is extra, it is not taking away from my kids in the least. We are going to do family stuff this summer too so we will be spending plenty of time with them. We are going because my BIL is getting married in Vegas and there are not going to be any kids going. But my kids are staying with family and they owe me so much babysitting it's not even funny.
Anyway, I do not think it is totally terrible and neglectful to take an adult vacation. I have been a mom for 8 years and have never been without my kids for more than overnight. Is it so wrong to take a little breather?

I agree with you there..hubby and I went away for about 3 days to Elko Neveda, and the kids stayed with their grandmother..there are certain vacations that kids shouldn't come along(like nevada~elko/second honey moon) parents sometimes need alone time..not taking your kids along on EVERY vacation is not bad. We take a vacation by ourselves for 2-3 days every other year or so, and take the kids away for 1-2 days somoewhere like six flags during the summer...

ladybugbhb
05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
i don't think that it is worng to takw a vacation without your kids, i have never personally done it, so i am not sure, but if i did, i sure as heck would be holding the pedal down to get there to them AS SOON AS I GOT IN TOWN!!!!!! but to each his own i guess. and ita that if they can take vacations like that, they can sure pay alot more than that!!! last summer, i let me neighbors' dogs out 4x's a day and put food and water out for them for 5 days and got $75!! i provided no food, or even my house and got paid better!!!!