PDA

View Full Version : Anybody live/been to Florida?

Linus1223
05-02-2004, 08:51 AM
So after this semester is over some friends, my bf and I are thinking about going to Florida.

We decided not to go to Orlando since everythign there costs 4673568468 dollars to get in...And we decided not to do a cruise because, again, too expensive.

We can't decide between Tampa, St. Petersburg or Ft. Lauderdale. I'm leaning towards Tampa because of the aquarium - but does it have good beaches? Which one has the best beaches (I really want to look for shells like when I was a kid...hahah)? Fun stuff to do? Any other places we should consider?

Any input would be appreciated. TIA! :D ;) :p

cathych
05-02-2004, 10:40 AM
If you want to visit the places in Orlando but not stay there, I suggest Ormond Beach. It is really close by, but does not cost very much to stay. In Orlando there is tons of stuff to do. Be sure & look up on the web to see if you can get discounts to some of the stuff there, there is always specials to Disney out there. And it is really a great place to go, but I would suggest going at night when the heat is down, & they have the light parade. It is so much easier to enjoy without the heat, & it stays open pratically all night!

tigerskiss1963
05-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Tampa has pretty beaches
so does st petersburg
we have been to both my mom lives in kissimmmee florida
we will going there this summer i think in july only thing is my daughter does not want to get on a plane because she thinks a bomber will be on the plane.

CAMSmama
05-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Try Destin, Fort Walton or Panama City Beach, not too much in the way of shells but beautiful white sand and and deep blue waters that are clear for mles.

Army-Mom
05-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Try Destin, Fort Walton or Panama City Beach, not too much in the way of shells but beautiful white sand and and deep blue waters that are clear for mles.
That is where I live and we do have some pretty beaches.
Marcia

teenies*mom
05-02-2004, 05:35 PM
My brother lives in Flagler Beach - thats between Daytona and St. Augustine - I love all 3 of those areas - and St. Augustine you can go
down St.George street and just take the day and walk through all the little shops......I loved it.

turbob
05-02-2004, 06:19 PM
The Tampa/St. Pete/ Clearwater are is great. I recommend Siesta Key. It is narrow, so you get Tampa Bay on one size and the Gulf on the other. Sunsets over the gulf are not to be believed. There is parasailing, jet ski, and bananna boats. My son and I had dumped a jet ski and a manatee came up to see if we were ok! Besides, you might see Hulk Hogan- he lives there. And trya sandwich called a Cuban Press - there are great! If you go in May or june, you need to learn what the natives call the "stingray Shuffle". There are baby rays burrowed in the sand right where the water meets the shore- if you look close, you can see their dark tails. Just shuffle your feet when you are wading in, and they will swim off.

KeliMom
05-02-2004, 07:50 PM
We absolutely LOVE St. Augustine, and I would move there in a minute! Lots of touristy things to do there too! Have fun! :D

MistyWolf
05-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Cocoa Beach is really nice .. I have been there several times including last summer and am going again this June. I love it there . .and the beaches are nice .. they have many besides Cocoa Beach. One of these days I just may move there :)

delSol
05-02-2004, 08:48 PM
I live near Ft Lauderdale and what you want to do would really determine where to go. Down herethere are nice beaches, partying, and the sawgrass mills mall (people travel from around the world to go there - it is I believe the worlds largest outlet mall - not like the mall of america with rides and stuff but a giant outlet mall). Las Olas RiverWalk is another big destination here and not too far away is Viscaya (miami).

NascarMom
05-03-2004, 05:55 AM
We live near Panama City Beach, we love it here!!( I lived in upstate NY for 16 years) I think they are the best beaches in FL...crystal clear and aqua blue! There isnt as much to do like Orlando or Tampa, but its also not as crowded. They has a small amusement park, lots of putt putt. There is also Gulf World Aquarium that is lots of fun! If you want, I can send you some links-just PM me!! ;)

Linus1223
05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions...We haven't made a decision yet, but I am taking all of your suggestions into consideration!