PDA

View Full Version : Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) For My Autistic Son

saundra
04-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi,

My almost 3 year old Jacob will be going through ABA. They want to up his services to 20 hours a week. Jacob has very few words and they said that his language is leveled off. I am on a waiting list for a psychologist. I am concern, it is so much for my son and he is only 3. Right now he gets 3 hours a week of special ed and 3 hours a week of speech therapy, and 1 hour of OT (all home based) and we attend a Boces structured playgroup 1 1/2 hours 2 days a week. . I was told that he has leveled off in his skills and they want to start this program. It seems so intensive. They want to do it 2 hours a day 5 days a week, plus his current services. I know Jacob my need it, but it seems a lot. Has anyone gone through ABA with their child. Please let me know. I heard that the kids will become upset at the beginning of this program. Do I really want to put my child through this..

Thanks Sandy

YankeeMary
04-30-2004, 04:57 AM
Sandy, I have nothing to offer you except, I am sure this will be a rough decision for you but you sound like a good momma and I know you will make the right decision. I just wanted to let you know that I wish you all the luck in the world and I will pray for you and your son.

ahippiechic
04-30-2004, 06:48 AM
I've heard some good things about this. Usually children learn things thru thier enviroment, without our intervention. But children who have autism learn much less that way. It's not that they are incapable of learning, they just need a more structured way to do it. So with ABA you set up an enviroment taylored to helping him learn.

After a certian point, most of us need a structured way to learn things anyway, such as reading, writing, math. (We start school) Autistic children just need this structure earlier and more intensly.

I hope things go well for you & your son, keeping you in my thoughts. http://members.cox.net/conniefly/images/huggie.gif

texasgander
04-30-2004, 09:19 AM
I work in the Special Education department of a public school system....and all I can say is the more services your child receives (for ANY disability), the better........he won't be so far behind when "real" school starts.....good luck!