PDA

View Full Version : I need computer help Please !!!

Safire
04-26-2004, 04:30 PM
This strange notebook item just suddenly appeared on my desktop.
I'm afraid it's a virus of some sort. It will not delete, just keeps popping back up when I delete it. dpusys is what it says. Can someone please help ?
TIA

suziebee20
04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
I found this on some other message board. Looks like there is a way to remove it? lol, I tried reading it and got confused, but it's worth a shot.

http://computercops.biz/postlite36230-dpusys.html%2A

Safire
04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Thank you very much for trying to help but I got a headache just reading that. lol I am so NOT techie in any way. I was hoping someone would know WHAT it is, virus, worm, spyware etc. Also if I just were to leave it alone, not open it, then it can't do any harm, can it ?
Like I don't have enough things going wrong in my life and now this... :(

Safire
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I found this info on a computer info board. I'm not techie enough to use it but thought I'd post just in case anyone else can.

Hello, Well....this dpusys is an ini file. If you look at it, it claims to be made by russians ( Oh brother, get a life!) and it redirects your browser to some CHUMPS pages. Anyhow. I still can't remove it, but I can tell you how to neutralize it! First, you must be QUICK! hope you know a little about DOS? Go to start, accessories, dos prompt ....type in attrib C:\windows\desktop\dpusys.ini +a +r MAKE SURE that the path is correct to point to the location of the dpusys.ini file !!!! On my system it was C:\ DO NOT HIT ENTER YET!!!! now go to the actual dpusys.ini file, right click, open with ( notepad works for me) highlight all the text and delete the text. NOW QUICKLY hit the file...save, then QUICKLY focus the dos window( Just click anywhere or maximize it). Once focus is on the dos window hit your enter key!! Now you should go back and open the dpusys file. It should be a blank file with the archive and READ ONLY attributes on it, meaning the IDIOT that wrote the thing didn't add the code to overwrite a read only file ( They are smart I guess, but punks at best!). If you delete this file, it will magically turn up again with more websites to redirect ( HIJACK) your browser to, so for now, better to live with the blank file. At least it can't work any more! Good luck !