PDA

View Full Version : Okay what would you think?

bears984
04-22-2004, 08:25 PM
I got this in my water bill today now what would you think if you got this?

Important information about your drinking water

We routinely monitor for the pressence of drinking water contaminatnts. Our water system recently violated these drinking water standards. Although this is not an emergency as our customers you have the right to know what happened what you shoud do and what we are doing to correct this situation.

Ciry of Duncan water system has levels of haloacetic acids and total trihalomethane above drinking water standards.

Test results we received on Febuary 25, 2004 show that our system exceeds the standard or maximum contaimiant level for HAA5 and TTHM's. THe standard for HAA5 is 0.060mg/L. The average level of HAA5 was found at 0.075 mg/L. The standard for TTHM's is 0.080mg/L. The average level of TTHM's was found at 0.124 mg/L.

We also routinely monitor the water for total organic carbon removal. This tells us whether we are effectively removing organic carbon from the water supply. Our latest calculations have showen that we ahven't removed the required percentage of organic carbon required by EPA standards.

What should I do?

You do not need to use an alternative water supply. However if you have specifc health concerns, consult your doctor.

What does this mean?

This is not an immediate risk. If it had been you would have been notifed immediately. However, some people who drink water containg haloacetic acids in excess of the MCL over many years may have an increased risk of getting cancer. SOme people who drink water containing Trihalomethane in excess of the MCL over many years may experience problems with their liver kidneys or central nervous system and may have an increased rik of getting cancer.
Total organic carbon has no health effects hoever total organic carbon provides a medium for the formation of disinfection byproducts. These biproducts include trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids. Drinking water contaning these byproducts in excess of the MCL may lead to adverse health effects, liver or kidney problems or nervous system effects and may lead to an increased risk of getting cancer.

What happened? What is being done?

The city of duncan water system has entered into a consent order witht he oklahoma department of environmental quality which outlines specific dates for the compliance witht hese standards. Construction has been completed at the water treatment plant in preparation for the pilot study. The pilot study started in early october 2003 and should be completed march 31 2004 however resolution of this problem will require signifcant changes to the water treatment plant and will take several years.

Okay first of all they have knowen all of this for several months and they are just now telling us. and then they tell us that it will take several years to get it right? :eek: Our water here has been brown for a while now and they tell us that it is rust in the water come on give me a break it stinks and it taste crappy. I get bottle water becasue I can not stand our water. It is like taking a bath in the river and it has runt several of my white's when I wash them so you know the stuff is not really clean but what do you do.

Lora_1994
04-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I wonder if we have the same water dept..lol

I get the same thing in the mail, usually 1 or 2 times a year. I wonder if something like that isnt just standard to send out. There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with our water, its clear and all. But I dont know... maybe someone can be of more help to the both of us..lol

catdance
04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Have seen this too, in Minneapolis, I just drink bottled water, by the gallon, yea, 1 gallon a day, I have a Britta thingy, and use the Co-op for more water and refuse to use our bottles, 9 per week more than 3 times, I wash them in warm soap water after every use..what do I think??
I think the after we pay for, all of us, one way or another..is SCARY!!!
And what can anyone really do??
I don't accept it, so I use the water for bathing, not my toothbrush, laundry, and the dishwasher...sad, I do think..

KrystallizedFlame
04-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Call a water testing lab near you and explain the letter to them. Then ask to speak to the Technician. He/She should be able to explain this better to you.

I work at a water testing lab and we test for those contaminates.

cpbaby
04-23-2004, 03:37 AM
Sounds alot like the water company here. We get those letters ever so often too. I dont drink the water at all. My 10 yr old does, but we have a faucet mount filter.

bears984
04-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Wow it really surprizes me how many get these and from all around. I will not drink this water and there is something more wrong than what they are telling us anyone that has water that is brown is not fit to drink. If you leave a glass of water out over night and look in the morning there is brown stuff at the bottom of the glass. They say rust is in the lines I don't think so. But even if it is they need to do something to get it out. I wont buy white things any more due to the fact that it ruins them.

Linus1223
04-23-2004, 09:46 AM
I would definitely be boiling my water.

tsquared
04-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Cities are required by law now to test the water every 3 months and if standards of that test are not met then they have to have their results published to every water user in the city. You more than likely have been drinking this same stuff for eons. If it was not safe to be drinking they would be shut down in a heartbeat. This is nothing to get alarmed about....just the Government at work again.

hflower
04-23-2004, 10:34 AM
eeek! I would be really concerned if I received such a letter...I have never got one...I hope...maybe I should be checking closer. ;)