PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded conferance update

rlynn411
04-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Post early about needing to meet with sons teacher..... here is an update.

Conferance update.......UGH!!!

Math.....not patient with his math partner and its okay if the partners doesn't actually do the work, so copying from son is okay. Sons math partner is ESL....(English Secondary Language), teacher says son is patient with other ESL students but not so much with his partner which I believe is from Russia. My son says partner is hard to understand, and doesn't even try to understand what hes trying to explain. My son also informed me he has no intention of studing Russian. Still couldn't get a clear answer from teacher as why my son is the one doing the work. I suggested maybe a partner change may be in order. Was told no.... learn to work with others. Fine whatever I'm thinking, but suggested if this child doesn't understand and my son can't find a way to explain it to him, maybe they need to assist in the process. So since my son is frustrated with the situation he is somewhat sassy....not to teacher or whole class, but mumbles about it within his group. Okay fine I will talk to him about it. But still thinking a change in general is in order all the way around. Grade right now and A.

Social Studies and Science.....

Rushing through work....last week he made a careless mistake and glued something upside down...which granted after being shown what it was he should of noticed the map didn't line up. He also missed a skipped a question on a worksheet. She feels as if he is just going through the motions with the least amount of effort. Right now he has a B+ in these classes.

Language Arts.....

He is scoring low on spelling test. That I know cause he doesn't study all that hard for them. He has never liked reading, spelling or writing so thats his weakness.. Also said he is showing very little interest in the book they are reading in class.... that doesn't surprise me but she did say hes doing the worksheets and getting decent grades on them. But he could improve capitalization and punctuation. I agree. Apparently my son is an eye roller and makes unhappy "sounds" under his breath at times when he is frustrated... to put an end to them teachs says she "calls him out" them in front of entire class in an effort to curb them. Well, I sit there thinking hows that working for you, cause I know from experience he detest being corrected publicly and only makes the situation worse....pulling him aside is a better way to deal with him when he is like that and telling him next time it will be a more public display will stop him in his tracks. He was unprepared in class.....when I asked how she tells me he forgot to bring colored pencils the day he needed them. When asked if this is something he does often I was told, he's only forgotten once...yes that right 1 time this entire school year. Personally I think thats pretty darn good seeing as in order to know what you need each day for each different class you need to read the dry erase board in the hallway.....gather up all the extra stuff needed along with the 20 pound binder they are expect to carry at all time.....the kids only have 2 hands and are not permited to carry a backpack or tote bag to carry extra's in. Grade in LA is a low B.

They also asked if he plays with a certain friend often (at home) which I said he does....they think that its a bad combination....ugh.... friend is ADHD and at times hes a bit much but in general a good kid.

Needless to say I just told them I would talk to him about their concerns, but suggested they think about some of the ways they chose to deal with him. I have to say all things considered it could be worse. I will be really glad when this school year is over.

wubbywa
04-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I am with your son on when it comes to understanding peoples language. I do not agree that this child doesnt have to do the work just copy from your son. Something is not right there, since when can students just copy others work?? Then they asked you if he plays with just one child at home and because the child is ADHD he shouldnt be with him so much?? Where are they coming from, your son has to have some patience to be with an ADHD child and the teachers are discriminating against that other child because of his disability. If these are the only problems your son has-- congratulations--you are doing a good job. A child with good grades and doing pretty much his best you are very lucky.

Tas
04-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Hopefully next year he will get better teachers. The math situation would tick me off royally. Sounds like the teacher just wants your son to do the teaching. The year is almost over thank goodness. Your son should be commended for having those grades not treated like he's in trouble.

rlynn411
04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
All 6th grade student in this town are in 6th grade only buildings, so I am so hoping middle school is better than this year has been for the kid.

I've talked to my son and told him to be more careful, and to try to patient with his math partner, but I'm not counting on that hes more of a I'll tell you once or twice kind of kid...after that your on your own. So he says he'll just keep his mouth shut if it kills him and try not to roll eyes or make sounds when frustrated.

It will get better, I know it will and only 7 more weeks of school is the worse case scenerio.

Quaker_Parrots
04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Sounds to me like your son needs to be advanced a grade, instead of held back, sounds like his teachers are threatened by his intelegence, and are punishing him for it. He needs to be chalenged, and they aren't doing their job. I would go over their heads and complain.

Sparkli
04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Sounds to me like your son needs to be advanced a grade, instead of held back, sounds like his teachers are threatened by his intelegence, and are punishing him for it. He needs to be chalenged, and they aren't doing their job. I would go over their heads and complain.

you read my mind..... i was going to post exactly this.... he's careless because he's bored with it... seems he's getting pretty good grades, not perfect because he dont care about it, cause he already knows it... i dont think calling him out in class would help at all too... I would die. :D But I would think about getting him tested and maybe moved up a grade if it was something he would want to do.