PDA

View Full Version : Ok you Stephen King Mega fans!!

buttrfli
04-21-2004, 02:45 PM
I am reading Desperation (for the 3rd time) and I suddenly realized (duh) that most of the characters have the same names and same situations as the characters in The Regulators. Does anyone know what the connection is? Some of them are different ages in the books, but for example, there a guy in a u-haul going across country, who picks up a hitchiker (who is a store clerk in the regulators AND she is also a battered victim in rose madder) and the writer guy is the same.... then there is the autistic boy... seth

when I read them the first time, it was years apart (even tho they came out at the same time) and I just got done re-reading the regulators and now I am on to depseration and now that the regulators characters are still fresh in my mine, i am having a hard time following desperation

was there anything out about the connection between the books? other than the gunslinger series, I haven't ever noticed this in any of his other books.

TIA!! :)

did that make any sense to anyone but me?? LOL

THEpouty1
04-21-2004, 02:49 PM
i have no clue. I just spent about an hour looking through all his books (esp. 'The Regulators' :D, 'Lost Boy, Lost Girl', and a few others) on Ebay. I need to read it. I need BOOKS! :o

JKATHERINE
04-21-2004, 05:25 PM
My DH (a big SK fan) says that it was a two-book series and they're supposed to 'connect' like that. :)

buttrfli
04-21-2004, 06:50 PM
My DH (a big SK fan) says that it was a two-book series and they're supposed to 'connect' like that. :)
will you ask your DH which one was first?? LOL TIA! :D

ahippiechic
04-21-2004, 07:56 PM

Yeah, what she said. "The Regulators" is by his alter-ego, Richard Bachman.

Desperation was 1st.
From the Sk website:

About The Regulators, Stephen says: “I had been toying with this idea called The Regulators because I had a sticker on my printer that said that. Then one day I pulled up in my driveway after going to the market and the Voice said, “Do The Regulators and do it as a Bachman book and use the characters from Desperation but let them be who they’re going to be in this story.” These books were an opportunity to test the idea of using characters as a repertory company. “There are some passages that are word for word the same in both books and there are also little jokes.” He explains further: “It’s just like actors who do Hamlet one night and Bus Stop the next.

I just finished reading the Wolves of Calla and can't wait for the last one to come out in June. I've already preordered it from Amazon! :)

texasgander
04-21-2004, 08:05 PM
If you notice.....almost ALL his books cross reference characters, places, events, etc. at some point in the story........ :)

jonette5
04-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Well looks like you got all the answers before I got to see this post! LOL! I am huge SK fan. Even went to Maine on my honeymoon so I could go see his house! That half hour I stalked him out in front of his house was the best time of my life! LOL LOL!

Most of his books do have at least one character from another story in them.

JKATHERINE
04-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Well looks like you got all the answers before I got to see this post! LOL! I am huge SK fan. Even went to Maine on my honeymoon so I could go see his house! That half hour I stalked him out in front of his house was the best time of my life! LOL LOL! Most of his books do have at least one character from another story in them.

LOL Jonette! He lives about an hour and a half from me (in Bangor). My friends Rach and Kayla both have apartments right down the street from his gorgeous and creepy house.

buttrfli
04-22-2004, 04:26 AM
If you notice.....almost ALL his books cross reference characters, places, events, etc. at some point in the story........ :)

Yes, but not like this... I knew they all center around maine, (derry, bangor etc..) but I have never seen him use the same characters like this.

Thanks all!!! It was seriously driving me crazy! :D