PDA

View Full Version : mosquito + bumble bee- help thread:)

PeggySue
04-17-2004, 08:14 PM
hiya gang its getting near that season again , and im looking for any help n tips ya folks may wanna share, on how to keep these at a distance.....

1st off let me note i am allergic to mosiquitos n have spent manya summers in the er, as i get very very bad allergic reactions to the bites,( huge welts massive swelling and just many many bites) and other then staying indoors n spraying myself every 1/2 hr to keep em away, nothing really helps, thru the yrs i have used skin so soft by avon n it doesnt really keep em away......
i can be at a a backyard party n be sprayed from head to toe, and i will be the ONLY person out there gettin eaten alive:( n the other 10 folks with me, not a one will be gettin bit, - or if they do.....not as many times as me:(

example, i can get like 10 bites to their one bite:(

and they bite me in areas where its like 3-4 bites all together right next to each other:(
one year no lie i woke up with like 40 bites on my arms legs ankles etc..( knew i got bit the nite b4 but only thought it was like 5-10 bites)

went to get outa bed n fell cause i was so swollen n couldnt walk, landed up in er.. n off work( try tellin your boss this one? lol)

and they take forever to go away n sometimes they leave semi bruises......

was also yrs back some of my bites were from a chigger bug as the marks almost look like a straight line of a bite instead of a round circular bite from a mosquito....

never been stuing by a bee, and i am oh so afraid of what may happen of i do considerin how my body reacts to these mosquitos:( my dr yrs back said he wasnt able to give me one of the emergency medical kits as it wasnt proven that i was allergic etc....
so ill be sure to keep my cc handy to scrape the stinger out god forbid...

so anyone have any true remedies at helpin me on this?

the oney 2 i knew n heard of so far was to use bounce dryer sheets? and also to use, sunlight dishdetergent n pour some in a shallow plate n set outdoors near ya n it will keep em away, havent tried it this yr as i just heards of this...

i have a 7 yr old girl who has also become so afraid of the bees as she sees mommies reactions n i dont want her to not wanna play outdoors becuase of this, i tell her move arms real slowly never swat cause they may come back to attack.....

thanks n happy safe summer to all:) peggy

annie169
04-17-2004, 09:05 PM
If this is any consolation, I was allergic to mosquitos also, but not bees and believe me, I've been stung by bees!! I know what those welts look like far too well. Not sure if yours do it, but if i"M not careful, I still can get a lil blister on the top of a bite and will pop at the slightest touch leading to an infection. Since its an allergic reaction, the only thing I can suggest is Benadryl (or antihistamine) to help with the reaction. I've always had luck with Avon SSS. Also, make sure your bug spray has DEET in it. A lot of them dont. Also, take a Vitamin B complex vitamin. I dont know why, but it works on mosquito bites and those prone to flea bites.

shelhop
04-18-2004, 03:49 AM
I have heard that one thing to help from being bit by mosquitos is to consume garlic. If you're not a garlic fan, then they have capsules that you can take daily. Get them from any pharmacy. I've not tried this, but I've never had much of a problem with mosquitos, anyway. It's probably worth a shot.
As for the bees, first off, do not wear anything scented outdoors. Perfumes, hairspray, etc., anything sweet smelling attracts bees. I have never tried the dishsoap, but I have made my own bee traps that work quite well. Make sugar water (the sweeter, the better) and pour it in a soda pop bottle. I'd fill it up about 3 inches. Leave the cap off the bottle, and that's all there is to it. Set it somewhere out in the open, in the sunlight, but away from where you plan to be. Bees check in, but they don't check out.
As for an allergy to bee stings, the first thing to know is that the venom that comes from a bee is entirely different than what comes from a mosquito. So the chances of you being allergic really probably aren't any higher than anyone else. Maybe that's no consolation. We found out, quite by surprise last summer that my teenage daughter is highly allergic. So it's hard for us not to panic when we see bees around (she's actually a lot calmer about it than we are.) But we simply take precautions, like the no perfumes rule when she's going to be outside, and always wearing shoes in the grass. Stuff like that.
Try to relax, and enjoy the upcoming weather, mosquitos, bees and all.

DAVESBABYDOLL
04-18-2004, 05:18 AM
This is a good thread! We were out front yesterday,and I can't believe mosquitos are out all ready,they sray 2 times a week in town but I live in the country.I'll keep an eye on this post :)

Also any home remedies for those BIG black ants? I have seen a few in my kitchen. TIA

evrita
04-18-2004, 09:53 AM
For starters never scrape a stinger out you will pop it and it will release more of the venom into you, use a bandaid or something sticky and put it over it and remove it that way. Benyadril will help if you take it for the swelling of the bites and the itching. If you were to get stung by a bee watch yourself but take tylenol benydril and ice it.They are attracted to soap and water so put it away from you and some places sell these things where you fill it with soap and water they go in but cant get out and die.They make awesome bug repelent and make sure it is DEET free Skin so Soft can cause them to be attracted to you.I hope this helps and BTW i know this because my DD is allergic the same way she has what they call alergic reactions and you cant keep a kid inside.

cleaningla
04-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I used to get eaten alive by mosquitos, my brothers and sisters hardly ever got bitten. I heard about the garlic and now I almost never get mosquito bites. Not sure what the other added benefits of garlic are, but I know there are some.

shelhop
04-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I would also like to mention the difference we've noticed with bee stings between a typical reaction and a serious allergic reaction to a sting. I had my first "allergic" reaction last summer. The sting was different. All stings hurt, but this was excrutiating pain, and it just wouldn't go away with ice or anything. It wouldn't let up at all. A normal reaction (non-allergic) is a sting that hurts for a few minutes, then itches horribly. Fortunately, my allergic reaction was localized, but I'm telling you, I had been stung before, with no reaction, and it was nothing like this.
My daughter's allergy, potentially life threatening, got the same type of pain as I experienced. She said it's the worse pain she ever experienced. She got stung on the toe, and her whole leg immediatly started hurting. Anyhow, I'm just telling you that in our experience, you can feel the difference almost immediately.
Maybe another person with an allergy can verify this, or has a different experience. Certainly, if you start feeling really strange after a bee sting, call 911 immediately, because it's nothing to fool around with.

karenc001
04-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I used to get eaten alive by mosquitos, my brothers and sisters hardly ever got bitten. I heard about the garlic and now I almost never get mosquito bites. Not sure what the other added benefits of garlic are, but I know there are some.

a benefit from garlic is it can help lower you blood pressure, and help blood flow to help prevent strokes.