PDA

View Full Version : Whats my responsibility?

buttrfli
04-04-2004, 08:22 AM
I sold an item on ebay last month, shipped it via FedEx last week. I get an e-mail this morning from the buyer saying that he wanted to know when I sent the package because he ahs not gotten it yet. I go to my fedex account and look it up and it was delivered on the 1st. It appears that he fedex driver left the package at a side door since no one was home.

Apparently the package was stolen (this is my thinking anyhow). Whats my responsibility to my buyer? I paid for the $200 worth of insurance, so I know it has it.

He hasn't asked, but I don't think that I should have to refund his money. Since it was insured, and according to fedex, delivered, what should I do??? In 5 years of selling I have never had this happen before and I am not sure what my responsibility is.

freeby4me
04-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Sounds to me like he has it and just wants the money too. I dont really know what to do though, I dont know what FedEx's policy is on delivering packages. I say call them and If its standard procedure to leave the package then Its not your fault. If it isnt, Tell the man you wont give the insurance money until you have a copy of the police report for the stolen merchandise.

jonette5
04-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by freeby4me
Sounds to me like he has it and just wants the money too. I dont really know what to do though, I dont know what FedEx's policy is on delivering packages. I say call them and If its standard procedure to leave the package then Its not your fault. If it isnt, Tell the man you wont give the insurance money until you have a copy of the police report for the stolen merchandise.

I agree, sounds like he is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

moonkitten
04-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by freeby4me

Well, if the buyer has paid for the item and the seller has that payment in hand, it seems to me that the options are this: 1. The seller can purchase (if possible) another of the same item and re-send it. 2. The seller can refund the purchase amount and call it good. The insurance claim would be taken care of through UPS. It seems to me like UPS is liable. That's why you buy insurance! It's not the seller's responsibility if the item was delivered but not received (as long as there are records of that). If UPS chose to drop an insured package off without benefit of a signature then the risk becomes theirs.

I'm not an attorney but it seems to me this is how it would work out. As for possible fraud, suspicions are not enough to go back on an agreement. If you really believe this is what happened then I would give the police a ring and see what they say. After all, it may just be some nice old man who lives in a not so great neighborhood and had the package stolen off of his porch before he got home from the pharmacy. :) Stranger things have happened!

Cindy

buttrfli
04-04-2004, 09:53 AM
moonkitten - there is no way I am refunding $200 or buying a $200 item and resending it! Thats NUTS!

Through the course of this he told me 2 different addresses. He gave the the first one, then sent an e-mail saying "sorry i just moved and put in my old street ,my new address is..." so I sent it to the 2 address. He just now sent me another e-mail stating his CORRECT address which was the last one he gave me with the numbers transposed.

I e-mailed this guy twice confirming the address BEFORE I sent the package!!! I don't know what to do :(

Syrinx
04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
If you still have the email in which he told you what address to ship to, then you're not responsible if he messed up the address. Especially if you emailed him to confirm it and he didn't correct it!

I don't use FedEx so I don't know what their policy is for insured packages, but I was under the impression that they required a signature and didn't just leave packages. I'd definitely contact them, see what they say.

buttrfli
04-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Syrinx
If you still have the email in which he told you what address to ship to, then you're not responsible if he messed up the address. Especially if you emailed him to confirm it and he didn't correct it!

I don't use FedEx so I don't know what their policy is for insured packages, but I was under the impression that they required a signature and didn't just leave packages. I'd definitely contact them, see what they say.

I have all the e-mails... I just sent him copies of everything he has sent me. Fedex will leave packages unless you require a signature (which he opted not to do because he works). There is nothing at this point FedEx can do as far as insurance... they delivered the item to the exact address they were told to. I truely believe I am not at fault here. :confused:

Taegus
04-04-2004, 10:53 AM
I would have to say that you are in the right here. FedEx only leaves a package at a residence if they have a release either from the shipper or the shippee. (I used to work for FedEx). If your buyer did not want to have to sign for the package (for whatever reason), HE assumed the risk for loss. You have the e-mails and the FedEx proof that the package was delivered, the worst he could do is report you as a bad trader, at which point you have the opportunity to show your proof that the package was delivered and the bad trader record would be null and void (same goes if he attempted to take you to small claims).

Don't worry about it, you did all you could!

sinned96
04-04-2004, 10:57 AM
You can always go post your question here and see what other ebayers would do http://pages.ebay.com/community/answercenter/index.html

buttrfli
04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys :) I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks that I was in the right... sometimes asking someone not involved helps a lot.

I have yet to hear back from him. I assume since I sent him copies of his e-mails, hes probably kicking himself right about now. I suggested he go to the address it was shipped to and see if he can locate it and hopefully there are honest people living there.