PDA

View Full Version : Religious complaint here!

DivineMsDi
04-03-2004, 09:33 AM
My DS, DH, and I were just at Target. We went to get in the car and this man in a trenchcoat comes up to us and says, "Morning, folks, I'd like to share an article with you." I say nothing (in case it's a nut attacking us), just get in the car. My DH says, "No thanks, go harass someone else." The guy slowly walked away, chuckling in a superior manner.

My DH is the LAST person you want to push religion on.

The guy had a popular "religious" magazine with him.

I'm not naming names because unlike THAT religion, I believe in living and let living and religious tolerance.

I hate people pushing their religion on others. I don't appreciate them coming to my house or bothering me at my car. I know some religions call you to preach "your" version of the "word." I happen to have a aunt who converted to "this" religion who gave me all the books I will ever need. I've read them and moved on.

If we want to know about your religion, we will seek you out.

Okay, ready for the right wing religious flaming to begin...http://images.animfactory.com/animations/symbols/warning_signs/high_voltage_sign_spinout_md_wht.gif

cpbaby
04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
I wont flame you. I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. I dont think they were being really pushy, but still, I wouldnt dream of going up to a stranger and trying to tell them abotu MY religion.

irrelevant0
04-03-2004, 10:12 AM
i keep getting mormons at my door. i live on the second floor of an apartment building, but every week there they are, asking me if i have changed my mind blah blah blah... grr. i finally pretended to call the cops 2 weeks agi and haven't seen them since...

catssass
04-03-2004, 10:22 AM
No flaming here...ITA... I had the Mormans here the other day, I asked them "if they salute the flag, vote or would fight for this country", they don't, so I told them I don't talk to people that are UNAMERICAN..they left and hopefully won't be back...

EDITED to say...

SORRY...it WAS the "Jehovas Witnesses" the ones with the Watchtower Magazine...Again Sorry, My Bad!

JKATHERINE
04-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I had some 7th Day Adventists here a couple of weeks ago. They wouldn't freakin' leave!! I told them that I don't believe in organized religion and asked them to politely leave at least 3 times! I have no problem with those who do believe in organized religion, but don't step foot on my freakin' property and try and tell me about it! If that guy had come up to me in the parking lot, he'd have gotten a lot more than the small earful he did from your dd. :)

JENNIFERCATLADY
04-03-2004, 10:35 AM
No flaming here! What you did was a LOT nicer than some of the things that I have done.

Dolly<3
04-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Who likes people bothering them like that for ANY reason? I don't think you'll get any flaming. :D I've never had someone come up to me like that in a parking lot. He better be careful not to startle any ladies walking to their cars alone!

Syrinx
04-03-2004, 12:48 PM
We finally had to ask our landlord to put up a no soliciting sign because of the Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. that kept coming into our apartment building. So far, it's working... but I won't be surprised if some of them ignore it.

Going to up to people in a parking lot is just creepy. If I saw a stranger in a trenchcoat coming up to me, I'd be diving into my car and locking the door.

DivineMsDi
04-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I didn't have my pepper spray with me! I still have to get some for cases like that.

I'm not giving religious people a hard time. But there is a time and a place, and a parking lot is neither.

Jaxx
04-03-2004, 02:00 PM
No flaming from me either.i hate when people do this

KrystallizedFlame
04-03-2004, 02:05 PM
This reminds me of an incident that happened to me. I was downtown waiting on the county bus to go to work. I always read a book while I am waiting for the bus. Anyway I was sitting there totally engrossed into my book, when I was rudely interrupted by this one woman shoving a Religious magazine in my face. She kept going on and on about her religion. I said nicely, no thank you and held up my book and said I have something to read. But she kept insisting, so I repeated myself and finally she left.:rolleyes:

freeby4me
04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I had to hide from a religious person for six months because they wouldnt leave me alone. I just kept the blinds closed for the last 4 months and would hide in the bathroom, They finally got the idea.

briansmommy
04-03-2004, 02:39 PM
QUOTE]No flaming here...ITA... I had the Mormans here the other day, I asked them "if they salute the flag, vote or would fight for this country", they don't, so I told them I don't talk to people that are UNAMERICAN..they left and hopefully won't be back...[/QUOTE]

I am LDS (Mormon), have been for most of my life. I have never heard of Mormons not being encouraged to fight for our country, salute the flag, or vote.

In fact, we are encouraged to be involved in local, state, and national elections.

I have family members who are LDS that serve faithfully in the military (one of whom died in Vietnam serving in the Navy special forces, he has a housing facility named after him on the San Diego Navy base: Snyder Hall).

I personally know that before every election we are reminded to vote by our church leaders.

I also know that every fourth of July we gather together as a church for pancake breakfasts in which we have a devotional to the United States and we salute the flag.

I am not sure who came to visit you, but I can assure you they weren't Mormons. If they happened to be LDS, they are sorely confused in what the church teaches their members.

freeby4me
04-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Its the Jehovah Witnesses that do not salute the flag or fight for this country. I dont know about the Mormons in this area but I dont think they had a problem with anything like that.

schsa
04-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Some people feel that this is how their god had guided them. Their mission is to bring others to their beliefs. I don't agree with pushing religion on others who have not sought you out. I also think that if you tell someone "No" they should take you at your word. It's a game of odds. They are bound to find someone who is interested and will listen if they speak to enough people.

I find it hard to be polite to someone who won't take no for an answer.

Urban Cowgirl
04-03-2004, 03:42 PM
that I know some LDS people in the miltary as well.

MamaFairal
04-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Only God above me can judge me ........and others!

Not flaming you but these people who push their religion are doing what they believe is right.Wether we agree or not.

Mormons......must be a sign in the local mormon church here to "stay away" from my address.....I'm still pen pals with the last one they sent here.....lol
How ya doing Bo?

freeplease
04-03-2004, 06:47 PM
in my front window, but it didn't stop every joe religion from knocking at my door. They seem to think they aren't "selling" anything. Excuse me bub, you're trying to sell me on your beliefs. I'm not buying. It's times like that I wish for selective lightening to some a strikin'...;)

harloo
04-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I just think it's nice to be civil regardless if you agree with them or not. I say sorry, no thanks with a smile and keep going. I think that is better than getting an attitude and being mean.

I have had a few jehovah's witness come to my door, and I take their literature and say thanks. They talk a little about their religion and I move on. I say thanks alot to give them a hint if they are too long. I have only been approached about 4 times, so I don't see what the big deal is. If they come up to you, just say no thanks not today. It really makes no sense to be rude to people.

zitra
04-04-2004, 04:17 PM
I just think it's nice to be civil regardless if you agree with them or not. I say sorry, no thanks with a smile and keep going. I think that is better than getting an attitude and being mean.

I have had a few jehovah's witness come to my door, and I take their literature and say thanks. They talk a little about their religion and I move on. I say thanks alot to give them a hint if they are too long. I have only been approached about 4 times, so I don't see what the big deal is. If they come up to you, just say no thanks not today. It really makes no sense to be rude to people.

I agree, and i have been rude on occasion, but only if, after I say "no thank you", that they keep at me, trying to "force" you to listen to them..try to badger you, or keep coming back after you have said that your not interested.

Bohemut
04-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Back in my younger days when I was living in a big city a group of born again Christians decided to "save" me from my heathen (Catholic) ways. They would follow me around and try to get me to listen. They would hold prayer vigils outside my apartment door. I could not get them to leave me alone. I tried to get a restraining order, file harrassment charges, etc., but none of that worked. They couldn't get physically close to me anymore so they started calling several times a day and night. Then one time when they called I stepped back and accidentally stepped on my cat's tail. He screamed (he was a siamese so you know how loud that can be) and I told them I had to go--the others had started the sacrifice without me! That was the last call I ever had from them. I did see one of them one day and he quickly crossed the street and pretty much ran away from me. :D

I don't care what religion you are, if I say no I don't want to hear about it please be polite enough to stop. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and it's okay to share yours, just don't try to shove it down anyone else's throat.

llbriteyes
04-04-2004, 07:39 PM
My grandmother invites them in, gives them cake and coffee, and points out in the bible where they are "wrong." lol They quit going there.

Damnifiknw
04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
One thing in life I can not stand is for someone to preach to me. I have had people come to my door trying to preach. I will shut the door on them, I'm not waisting my time listening to someone spew garbage out of their mouths that I can careless about. I'm not a religious person whatsoever...I live my life the way I choose not by how a book tells me to live it.

I have three friends who are Jehovah Witness. They try to preach to me every chance they get. I will tell them to shut the **** up! I do not want to hear about your religion. If I wanted to know any of the garbage you are preaching i'll attend a function.

These Jehovah Witnesses have a no tresspassing sign on their door. Because they do not want to be bothered by others who want to preach their religion to anyone who will listen.

Willow
04-05-2004, 05:56 AM
I agree with what George Carlin says...........

Keep thy religion to thy self. ;)

ilvscooby
04-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I have had the Jehovah's Witness people come to my door. I took their Watchtower mag. listened to their speech said thanks and they left....BUT they kept coming back just to bring me the magazine and talk with me... NO WAY I don't want it! I finally stopped answering my door and after about 6-7 monthes they stopped coming.

sahmsfreeb
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
When i used to live in my nouse in nj monthly i would get a lds member at my house.

i do respect those that preach the good word of god. not enough people out there who will do this anymore...

i was respectful to her every month (my first and only reply to her was that i was a practicing catholic and happy with my religion.) and she was respectful to me back.

it got to the point that i was looking forward to her monthly visits...

i often wonder how she is...

no i do not like being confronted in parking lots. but i maintain respectful level with them.

sorry my 2 cents... dont mean to offend and none of the above is ment as any sort of flame... just telling you what i do and it works for me...

JKATHERINE
04-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Ok, this is going to be loooong....lol :)

I had some very unpleasant experiences with some Baptist churchgoers when I was young. I was 10 years old, my sister was 8. We had walked the 1/2 mile to the store (small market) to spend some of our paper route money on, what else, candy. I come from a small town. At the time, the population was less than 10,000 and my mother never had any qualms with lettting us go somewhere together. On our way back, we noticed a large, red (15 passenger) van parked close to the sidewalk that we were walking on. It was full of children.

A man and a young girl approached us. They asked us if we knew if we were going to heaven or not. We told them that yes, we thought we were going to heaven. They then proceeded to tell us that we were 'sinners' (@ 10 years old!) and told us that they could show us 'the way' to a sin-free life, to a guaranteed place in heaven if we'd just get into the van with them. When we said no, they got more insistant. They told us that if we came with them, we could meet all the famous people at their 'party.' They said they had movie/pop stars all willing to meet us. I took my sister's hand and we ran as fast as we could across the street. I told her to go up to the closest house and use a phone to call our mother. I took a pen from my little purse and wrote the license plate # from the van on our paperbag filled with candy then joined my sister at the house. We'd never been so scared in our entire lives.

My mother, after picking us up, immediately called the police. She and my father were fuming mad. The police said there was nothing they could do about it because they hadn't laid a hand on or taken us anywhere against our will. My mother did some further probing and found that we were definately NOT the only children this happened to. A boy named John who was 3 years older than me had been enticed to go with them when they told him a certain famous football player was at their 'party.' They were able to tell John liked football by the school jersey he was wearing. They took him to the church basement and bombarded him with religious jargon as well as told him that he had bad parents because they let him 'wander the downtown' alone at 13. They kept him there for SIX hours. Again, the police did nothing--I don't know if there was anything they could legally do, as John did go with them.

My furious mother went to the local paper. They featured my sister and I in a front page article warning parents of the Open Bible Baptist Church. They interviewed many other families as well.

The story doesn't end there though. Two years later I was downtown with my little brother who was 5 or 6 at the time and was again approached by someone from this very same church. She began her spiel the very same way with the question about whether or not we knew if we were going to heaven or not when we died. In front of a SIX year old! I was furious this time, not scared. I told the lady where she could shove it and took my brother in the opposite direction. We then saw my mother's car at the local drugstore and went inside to find her. I told her what happened and when we came out of the store, the church lady was standing across the street waiting for her next victim. My mother told us to go get in the car, which we did. She gave that woman an earful I'm sure she'll never forget. I couldn't hear the exact words she used, but I know they included 'don't you EVER approach MY children EVER again!'

Sorry this is so long, I just felt like sharing. I haven't thought of those times in a long time.

AngelGrim
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I figure as long as they don't follow me or attempt to drive me up the wall I don't mind, after all you never know who is knocking, might be someone spreading the good word or an angel in disquise. I just take the literature and say thank you and shut my door. I have found tracks on my car, I just take them put them in my car and go, no reason to be mean or irrate. Now if they chase me continually that is another thing, but if they are just doing it once in a great while then ok. I figure you never know, might be Jesus in disguise, and would I want to treat him hatefully, Jmo not trying to say anything about anyone else and hope no one takes it that way, it is just how I am.

BabyDolla
04-05-2004, 07:56 PM
That's the problem, too many religions. As a Christian I pray that you can tell how much I love the Lord by my actions. If not then I am failing Christ and need to improve. I will not judge you nor will I be ashamed of Christ. It is your choice.