PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhh EWWWWWW!!!!!

lexasmommy
04-02-2004, 01:38 PM
There is a little old lady down the road from my house who owns a fruit and vegetable stand beside the road. I stop by at least twice a week to buy her tomatoes. They are just about the best I have ever tasted. They are kind of sweet. I haven't been able to find any like them at the grocery store. I also buy her turnips, collards, squash, etc...they are good too. Anywho....I was complimenting her this morning on how good and fresh everything from her garden is and I was kidding but I asked her what her secret was to growing such fabulous produce. She smiled and told me that there was no secret, she just fertilizes her garden with her "slop jar". I smiled and left, confused because I did not know what a "slop jar" was. When I got to work I called my grandma to ask her what a "slop jar" is. I figured she would know being from the old school and all. Granny told me that when she was little and it was too cold to go outside to use the outhouse there was a "jar" of sorts that would be used. PLEASE someone tell me that a slop jar is really not what my grandma said. I have been sick over this all day.

Jevonna
04-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I do believe your Granny is speaking the truth!! Ewwwwww

suziebee20
04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
YUCK. Maybe the little old lady assumed you knew what it ment and was pulling your leg? I hope so, because to imagine eating food fertilized with that... :eek:

MamaFairal
04-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I think she's right :(

Why not the oriental do it to fertilize their rice fields...squatting in the fields.......eeeww!

Kelsey1224
04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
What do you think most fertilizer is??? Nothing but cow poop!

I wouldn't worry,...I would just be sure that I wash everything I buy really, really good!

ezmoney163
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
yes hon she was telling the truth!! I too would be ill over it!!

Dolly<3
04-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Well, this is what Marriam Webster says:
Main Entry: slop jar
Function: noun
: a large pail used as a chamber pot or to receive waste water from a washbowl or the contents of chamber pots

Yum! http://www.ipgn.com.au/forum/images/smilies/eating.gif LOL

Momof2totsand1teen
04-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Maybe it is scraps of food left over from preparing a meal. Like apple peels, things like that. Maybe? Hopefully?

Dolly<3
04-02-2004, 02:19 PM
That's what I was thinking too. Either that, or she was joking. I hope so!

PrncsNYC
04-02-2004, 02:22 PM
gross!

even if it's true, she didn't have to tell you1 lol TMI!!!

babymaniac
04-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Bless your heart. I would be calling RALPH on the big white phone !!!!
Somehow it is easier to deal with cowpoop fertilizer than the thoughts of human waste being used for that.

DivineMsDi
04-02-2004, 02:40 PM
I hope she didn't use the slop jar....human poop makes BAD fertilizer. Cow poop is okay (they are vegetarians). Night soil is another name for human poop. They use it in China a lot. Not the best thing to grow veggies in so I have heard. I would find a new vegetable stand ASAP.

zitra
04-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by DivineMsDi
I hope she didn't use the slop jar....human poop makes BAD fertilizer. Cow poop is okay (they are vegetarians). Night soil is another name for human poop. They use it in China a lot. Not the best thing to grow veggies in so I have heard. I would find a new vegetable stand ASAP.

I totally agree. It is also VERY unsanitary. You can get hepatitus among other things from eating anything that has been contaimated by human fecal matter. I beleive it is true that she used human waste to grow her veggies, and the health department found out she would be shut down (and maybe fined?). It is very unhealthy. There is a big todo around here about people letting their dogs "go" by a lake and not cleaning it up. It has contaminated thae water, and there have been warnings to stay away frm the water due to the contamination.

Quaker_Parrots
04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Ya just had to ask, didn't ya? LOL. I'm sorry, but I can just imagine how you felt when you found out what a "slop jar" was. hehehehe. So are you sticking with them? or are you finding another stand?

sahmsfreeb
04-02-2004, 03:23 PM
"slop jar".

omg i havent hear that term in 15 years...

the slop jar was the pail or large jar used to collect table scraps and other scrapins (grease etc..) to feed the pigs... after my grandmas house was no longer aloowed to keep a pig or 2 (the 1940's everyone kept a pig for the holidays) the slop jar was then dumped into a common pile in the garden and used for fertilizer or mulch. up until her last days on earth my grandma took that pail into her garden.

she had the best meatist tomatoes and onions! up until a few years ago when my parents still had a garden they did the same thing.

when you grow up poor NOTHING is wasted.
unlike today. what we throw away could fertilize a large garden or lawn or feed a small community.

now dont even ask what LARD is.... now that i grew up on... and i have a stomach made of steel because of it!

silvermist
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
I think she was just talking about scraps like egg shells, peels, etc. as thats what my mom uses in a pail. Maybe you can ask her to double check her own meaning? You said they tasted sweet and good so prob not the "other" slop lol

DivineMsDi
04-02-2004, 06:09 PM
If you aren't totally grossed out by now...go ask the old lady what the heck slops she used....I am really curious. We suburbanites might be wrong...I bet the country folk on this board have it right. (hoping for your sake).

cch
04-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by sahmsfreeb
the slop jar was the pail or large jar used to collect table scraps and other scrapins (grease etc..) to feed the pigs... after my grandmas house was no longer aloowed to keep a pig or 2 (the 1940's everyone kept a pig for the holidays) the slop jar was then dumped into a common pile in the garden and used for fertilizer or mulch. up until her last days on earth my grandma took that pail into her garden.
now dont even ask what LARD is.... now that i grew up on... and i have a stomach made of steel because of it!

That's our version of a "slop jar" too. We no longer have pigs so it's anything the dogs will eat.

Isn't lard just boiled down pig fat?

YankeeMary
04-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Lard is what southerns have running through their veins...lol...thats what I always say to DH who is southern...lol...hubby says it is definatly processed animal fat...usually pig...ugggggh...hehe.

babymaniac
04-02-2004, 08:24 PM
If it makes you feel better ...I do know I have heard people say they were "slopping the hogs" in reference to giving them a bucket of kitchen scraps.

missbeepin
04-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Modern day "slop jar" is nothing more than table scraps, potato peelings, egg shells and such, that people set aside and use for compost and use for fertilizer.

Jaxx
04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
YUK!

AngelGrim
04-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by DivineMsDi
If you aren't totally grossed out by now...go ask the old lady what the heck slops she used....I am really curious. We suburbanites might be wrong...I bet the country folk on this board have it right. (hoping for your sake).

ITA if it is the ewwwwwwwww jar, I would be running away full speed and then some.But even if she said that it wasn't I probably still wouldn't go back haha. I am too paranoid, it would be like pulling a fresh tomato out of your toilet at home, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww NO WAY.

Damnifiknw
04-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I would have never guessed a "slop jar" meant human waste. I have always heard people refer to peels from veggies as "slop" they feed to their barn animals. That's what I would think she meant by a "slop jar".

You know how people mix all kinds of veggies, meats & whatever else they can find in a pot to serve fror dinner. I call it slop, I know the southerners have a name for the slop. I think they refer to it as Gumbo, goolosh (sp?) or some weird name. In my book it's actually slop. (lol) That's really the first thing that popped into my head when I read slop jar.

EricsnKy
04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by missbeepin
Modern day "slop jar" is nothing more than table scraps, potato peelings, egg shells and such, that people set aside and use for compost and use for fertilizer.

ITA

I mean who is going to excrete waste in a jar , much less use it for FERTIZILER!

I am sure its thing like table scraps, egg shells and other left over items like that.

fatesfaery
04-02-2004, 11:19 PM
I've always heard slop jar used interchangeably with chamber pot in the south. My grandparents always called scraps that they saved to feed the hunting dogs the slop bucket. They had an outhouse and what my grandma used at night was the slop jar........but they absolutely never used it as fertilizer. Does this woman have an outhouse? I didn't think there were many of those left anymore....if she doesn;t I'd think she's referring to a different type of slop jar.

janelle
04-03-2004, 12:51 AM
My mother is 95 and she always called the chamber pot the slop jar. They lived in a two story house so the kids would use the slop jar at night instead of going to the out house. Her mother had to empty the slop jars each morning. Poor grandma climbing the stairs to do that chore. Not sure where she would throw it in the yard. Never heard that part. :rolleyes:

My grandpa also had a spitoon in the house and he used it. My brother got into it one day when he was a toddler and it dumped on him. Oh for the good old days. LOL

My mother also knew a woman named Ella Slopjar. It may have not been spelled that way but however it was spelled it came out Slopjar. Grounds for a name change I would say. Pun not intended.:p

nightrider127
04-03-2004, 02:45 AM
My grandmaw always called the bucket with table scraps a slop bucket. The slop jar was for another purpose, at least that is what I was told.

But think about this: If she was using the type slop jar my grandmaw told me about, her garden would reek and neighbors would complain. So I bet she was talking about a slop bucket.

I would ask her what she is talking about. If it is a slop jar, don't walk, RUN far, far away.

DAVESBABYDOLL
04-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Well,if you haven't gotten sick from eating all those wonderful tomatoes,odds are they are ok.

If you really must know,ask her what a slop jar is lol *lets hope it's not the poopy one :)

lexasmommy
04-03-2004, 06:49 AM
I am hoping that her slop jar IS only table scraps. I have grossed myself out to the point that I don't know if I can buy her produce anymore. I don't have the guts to ask her what slops are because if she tells me something gross, I will just die. My sister said that she wil ask her. I'll let you all know what she said.