PDA

View Full Version : the 80's are back

NINK
04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
have you guys been to the stores lately? they are doing a 20 year anniversary thing for 1984 and 2004. the stores are full of cabbage patch kids, my little ponies, g.i. joes, transformers, rainbow bright, strawberry shortcake.

and one of the shoe companies just came out with the 20, it's the old style high top.

high tops are almost immpossible to find in name brand shoes anymore and hubby and i both have bad ankles and are alwasy looking for hightops.

i just bought 4 packs of garbage pail kid cards:)

DAVESBABYDOLL
04-02-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm waiting for the HAIR BANDS to make a comeback :D

*really I am

halvarado
04-02-2004, 07:17 AM
as long as big hair, stirrup pants, legwarmers and 20 pound flourescent earrings stay out of the picture, i am ok with the 80's :D

Tasha405
04-02-2004, 07:28 AM
I love the Strawberry Shortcake stuff! That's what I'm doing my daughters room in.

I also want to get her some Cabbage Patch Kids. These things just excite me because these are toys that I played with when I was growing up and now my daughter can enjoy them too. :)

DAVESBABYDOLL
04-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by halvarado
as long as big hair, stirrup pants, legwarmers and 20 pound flourescent earrings stay out of the picture, i am ok with the 80's :D

OMG stirrup pants,ya know I think my sister still wears those. (she's stuck in a fashion/makeup time warp lol

NINK
04-02-2004, 07:38 AM
oh my i hate those sturup pants, they are so icky. i love the stone washed jeans with all the holes and strinsg though, lol. and i liked the big hair to an extent. i bet aqua net would be thrilled if the big hair came back.

i went down the strawberry shortcake aisle and boy did it smell good:)

i don't like the new cabbage patch kids, they have huge heads.

VenusA423
04-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Tasha405
These things just excite me because these are toys that I played with when I was growing up and now my daughter can enjoy them too. :)

Same here.. it was funny the excitement I felt when I saw the REAL My Little Ponies, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake and finally the Rainbow Brite characters. Rainbow Brite was my all time favorite. :D

DivineMsDi
04-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by halvarado

Hey that's 2/3rds of the people who live where I do! Think Fran Fine....

MsLynn
04-02-2004, 08:10 AM
THIS SO PERFECTLY SUMS UP MY GENERATION, LOL BRINGS BACK ALL KINDS OF MEMORIES TOO.

MARK WILLS.....19-SOMETHNG

I saw Star Wars at least eight times
Had the pac-man pattern memorized
And I've seen the stuff they put inside
Stretch Armstrong

I was Roger Staubach back in my back yard
Had a shoebox full of baseball cards
And a couple of Evil Kinevil stars
On my right arm
Well, I was a kid when Elvis died
And my mama cried

Chorus:
It was 1970-something
In the world that I grew up in
Farrah Faucett hair-do days
Bell bottoms and eight-track tapes
Lookin' back now I can see me
And oh, man did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
It was 1970-something

It was the dawning of a new decade
When we got our first microwave
And Dad broke down and finally shaved
Those sideburns off
I took the stickers off of my Rubix cube
Watched MTV all afternoon
My first love was Daisy Duke
In them cut off jeans
A Space Shuttle fell out of the sky
And the whole world cried

Chorus:
It was 1980-something
Skating rinks and Black Trans Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
It was 1980-something

Now I got a mortgage and an SUV
But all this responsibility
Makes me wish sometimes
Sometimes....

Chorus:
It was 1980-something
Skating rinks and Black Trans Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
It was 1980-something

1970-something
Aw, it was 19-Something.....

Lora_1994
04-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I loved the 80's even though I was a YOUNG 80's kid..lol

I love that song MsLynn ...I always turn it up LOUD when its on..my kids think I'm nuts.

My oldest son and I were watching mtv the other day and Poison came on and he's like " they look like girls, with all the jewelery and long hair".. I had to laugh, I told him in the 80's EVERYONE looked like that. I had it sooo bad for Bret Michaels back then. Axl Rose, Sebastian Bach.. you name it..lol

Where in the world did you find the garbage pail kids?? how much were they?? I WANT SOME ... me and my brother were just talking about how they were big like the yu-gi-oh and pokemon cards.

Bick'sMom
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
LIKE OMGOD!!!! THAT IS LIKE TOTALLY AWESOME!!

Lmbo, my kids groan and moan everytime I put the 80's music channel on the TV. I was a child of the 70's and 80's, I wore legwarmers, hot pink and yellow sweaters, stirrup pants, had my collar up constantly and even had spiked hair for a while. I thought I was so cool, lol, I did look cheezy!

I got my 5 year old strawberry shortcake and my little pony for christmas and she was thrilled. Wait until I get into all of my things that are stored and find my collection of that stuff for her! I even remember having this brown lunch bag full of Charlies Angels cards, ya know that ones you got in a little pack with a piece of gum that got so hard you could hardly chew it. Ah, those were the days!

jen-ron
04-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Ok ya'll I was a bit young in the 80's but I had so looked forward to growin up and gettin to dress like they did and to do my hair all crazy. And then by the time I got old enough the 80's were out and the 90's were in! LOL It would be soo cool to go back to the 80's!!

Dolly<3
04-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Yay for 80's toys!!

All the other stuff can stay in their era! lol

Stir up pants.... *groooooan* What was I THINKING?!

evrita
04-02-2004, 10:49 AM
As far as the sneakers with hightops Spaulding makes a nice pair but you are probally looking at 40.00-60.00 for a pair I have found them in specialty shoe stores

justme23
04-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Lora_1994
Where in the world did you find the garbage pail kids?? how much were they?? I WANT SOME ... me and my brother were just talking about how they were big like the yu-gi-oh and pokemon cards.

Target :)

I've prolly spent 30 bucks on them already... my hubby just groans.

VenusA423
04-02-2004, 11:51 AM

I've seen them at the comic shops. I remember one time when I was little and at Chuck E. Cheese I found one in the big ball pit... I thought it was one of the coolest, but ugliest things. LOL:p I LOVE that Mark Wills song... definitely takes you back. I miss them good ol' days. :)

NINK
04-02-2004, 12:19 PM
you guys can get the garbage pail kid cards @ walmart for .99 cents a pack, up by the cash registers by the candy and crap. i will be buying atleast 2 packs every time i go. they are a pack of sticker cards like in the 80's but each pack has a gold card, non sticker, of a reprinted old card like snooty sam or sloshed josh(yeah i know how pathetic am i that i actualy remember thier names! lol) oh and the new cards alos have some that are scratch and sniff! and they have codes ont he back so you can go online and create your own online cards:)

oh about the spalding high tops, i don't like that brand. i only like nike & addidas and possibly reebok or l.a. gear. those brands just didn't want to make high tops there for awhile, but they are coming back now.

*Kiss*
04-02-2004, 12:25 PM
LA Gear.. LOL they still make those?? reminds me of Middle School :p! Garbage pail kids are cool.. I saw the cards at walmart and my step-daughter thought they were the most repulsive thing.. LOL shes got quite an attitude for a 6 3/4 year old :p shes still hooked on the powerpuff girls. tried to sway her into the Rainbow Brite, Carebear, My lil pony thing.. But still a no-go LOL

But out of all the 80's cartoons 81-90 ish.. Thundercats was the best! LOL

LunaChick
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm embarrased to say this but I just threw out a pair of pink and white LA Gear hightops with rhinestones.:rolleyes: I'm still trying to figure out why the heck I still had the things with me. Geez, lol

Tasha405
04-02-2004, 12:45 PM
My hubby had all the Garbage Pail Kids stickers on his bedroom door when he was growing up and ya know what?? Thay are still there! LOL! I've got to get some of these for my oldest son. He loves to collect cards and these I can actually understand better than the Pokemon and YuGiOh crap. LOL

Tasha405
04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Oh and the shoes... I LOVED the black high top Reeboks!! I thought they were the best shoe ever. I actually started to buy a pair a few weeks ago and hubby looked at me like I was crazy so I put them back. lol

Unicornmom77
04-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I

I saw some at Kmart the other nite, Up at the register where they keep the baseball cards!! I was like :O!!!!!!!!! Wow, lookie!! And Dh was shocked also!!

Let me know if you want some Lora, I would be thrilled to pick you up a couple packs!! JLMK!

~Wendy