PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Here's My Vent/Whine...

JKATHERINE
04-01-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't post much here, 1. Because I dont' want anyone to feel bad for me and, 2. Because there are a heck of a lot more people out there who have it much worse than I do in life, but I have a little petty vent/whine today to share anyhow.

1. I'm pregnant (not a vent or whine, actually, it's a neener! lol), but we are having a very hard time financially. It is to the point where we're having trouble paying our mortgage each month on time. I will not lose my house! So, I decided that I would look for a 2nd job. My dh works at our mortgage company (funny, huh?) and he's an Army Reservist so I only think it's fair that I be the one to look for another job. He has been the one to do it in the past. I work 5 days a week from home--I have my own child care business.

2. I find a job that sounds interesting and can accomodate my nights/weekends requirement. I go out yesterday to pick up an application and drop off my resume. This is not an awesome job, but it's a job nonetheless. It will be working at an orchard nearby in the bakery/store as a clerk/front desk person behind the register. I meet with the owner, things are going great until she finds out I'm pregnant. Then her whole tone/attitude changed completely. As soon as she found out she said, "well, then you're not going to be able to do this job, are you?" I replied that indeed, I would be able to. That I could foresee no problems with taking on this part-time job and that my mother had worked as a NURSE for 25 years through 3 pregnancies and had stayed on the job until the day she gave birth--even with the twins! I told her that my pregnancy thus far was very healthy and that I am active and saw no problems. We finish the interview/meeting. As I'm getting ready to leave she says, "Well, it must be difficult trying to find a job like that." I told her I had just started looking for a job and had not encountered any roadblocks thus far. I just left with a bad taste in my mouth and a bad feeling in my gut. I highly doubt she'll be hiring me although I'm definately qualified for the position.

OH, and another thing. She saw on my resume that I had gone to college for my Elementary Education degree and wanted to know why I wasn't teaching school instead of running a home child care. I told her that I had yet to finish my degree because I cannot afford to spend half a year teaching/working for free (which is what Student Teaching is and that's all I have left for my degree). She mentioned 4 times during our interview that I needed to go back and finish my degree. DUH, I know! But how the heck can I afford not to work when I can't afford to live right now and I'm working full time?

Ok, all, thanks for letting me vent. I feel a bit better now....:)

Jamie

Momof2totsand1teen
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Not really fair of her if she decides not to hire you just because you are pregnant. Maybe she is thinking you will just quit after the baby is born and she will be looking for someone else again in a few months. Keep looking, there will be something else. Not sure if you would even want to work for her anyway:)

Kelsey1224
04-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Yea...you don't have this job...even though discriminating against you because of your pregnancy is illegal.

Obviously, she is an opinionated jerk.

What about the homeagent jobs...that might be what you need right now.

Dolly<3
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Geez! I wouldn't want to work for her anyway. Something better for you will come along. It sounds like she'd be in your business all the time, ya know?
(((((Jamie))))
Good luck!

VALENA-)45
04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
HEY JKATHERINE, SORRY THE LADY WAS SUCH A SOURPUSS, SHE WON'T HIRE YOU BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO SOME HEAVY LIFTING, AND SHE DIDN'T WANT TO BE RESPONCABLE, IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO YOUR BABY. HANG IN THERE, A BETTER JOB IS ON IT'S WAY FOR YOU. AND SPIT THAT BAD TASTE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, HER LOSE IS SOMEBODY ELSES GAIN. GOOD LUCK, WITH THE JOB HUNTING.

jcw
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Hang in there something will come along that's just right for you. Sorry things are tough now but Congrats on the baby.

DivineMsDi
04-01-2004, 02:07 PM
It's wonderful you are trying to take on so much instead of looking for an easy way out. I hope you find the extra $$ you need. Babies make miracles happen. Yours will, too.

I have a teaching degree(my Masters). My BA is in English. You would be surprised how many times I have applied for work (not teaching) and they ask "Why aren't you teaching?" Maybe I DON'T want to or can't get a job in a public school. Maybe because the only abundant teaching jobs here are the low paying daycare/preschool ones no one else wants. Ever try to pay back loans and live on $6 an hour? Not in this area! You can't survive.

Maybe you can try tutoring. This time of year there are lots of kids who are on the verge of failing and need a patient tutor. You can work for yourself and make some flyers. Maybe you can do it in a safe place like the library. Charge a reasonable fee and do it on the weekends or nights. Good luck.

laughsalot
04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Congratulations on having a baby!! Big hugs to you!!

I wouldnt want to work for that rude and tactless lady anyways!! It is her loss.

Good luck finding something where you will be treated great. I just know there is something out there for you!! :D

Linus1223
04-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JKATHERINE

2. I find a job that sounds interesting and can accomodate my nights/weekends requirement. I go out yesterday to pick up an application and drop off my resume. This is not an awesome job, but it's a job nonetheless. It will be working at an orchard nearby in the bakery/store as a clerk/front desk person behind the register. I meet with the owner, things are going great until she finds out I'm pregnant. Then her whole tone/attitude changed completely. As soon as she found out she said, "well, then you're not going to be able to do this job, are you?" I replied that indeed, I would be able to. That I could foresee no problems with taking on this part-time job and that my mother had worked as a NURSE for 25 years through 3 pregnancies and had stayed on the job until the day she gave birth--even with the twins! I told her that my pregnancy thus far was very healthy and that I am active and saw no problems. We finish the interview/meeting. As I'm getting ready to leave she says, "Well, it must be difficult trying to find a job like that." I told her I had just started looking for a job and had not encountered any roadblocks thus far. I just left with a bad taste in my mouth and a bad feeling in my gut. I highly doubt she'll be hiring me although I'm definately qualified for the position.

I didn't read through everything else so it might have been said already...But if you think you are not hired because you are pregant, I would suggest you call a lawyer or the Labor Department immediately. It is illegal for an employer to hire you based on Pregnancy Discrimination Act as it amended Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Essentially, it is sex discrimination.

An employer cannot refuse to hire a woman because of her pregnancy related condition as long as she is able to perform the major functions of her job.

JKATHERINE
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone. I'll keep looking. It just really peeved me that although I told her I was perfectly capable of doing the job, she still seemed to have her doubts. I specifically asked her if there was any heavy lifting involved (I can't do this even when I'm not pregnant due to a bad back) and she said none at all. As for contacting a lawyer or labor department, I thought of that as I know that it's illegal to discriminate against pregnant women, but I figure it's going to take more money and time than it's worth.

ezmoney163
04-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Good luck!!!! I hope everything works out for you hon!!!

justinenycole26
04-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JKATHERINE
Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone. I'll keep looking. It just really peeved me that although I told her I was perfectly capable of doing the job, she still seemed to have her doubts. I specifically asked her if there was any heavy lifting involved (I can't do this even when I'm not pregnant due to a bad back) and she said none at all. As for contacting a lawyer or labor department, I thought of that as I know that it's illegal to discriminate against pregnant women, but I figure it's going to take more money and time than it's worth.

She can give any number of reasons that she didn't hire you. It will be impossible to prove that it was because you are pregnant. She can say it's because of a personality clash. Do you really want to work for someone like that anyway?

Something else crossed my mind.... you said this was a local orchard, so it is more than likely a small company. Would it be fair for her to have to hire and trian someone to replace you in 6 months? Then if you decide to go back after the baby, what is she to do with the person she hired to replace you? I can understand her not wanting to hire you. If you were applying at someplace like Wal-Mart, it would not be a big deal when you leave. Small businesses are much more affected by things like this.

JKATHERINE
04-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by justinenycole26
She can give any number of reasons that she didn't hire you. It will be impossible to prove that it was because you are pregnant. She can say it's because of a personality clash. Do you really want to work for someone like that anyway?

Something else crossed my mind.... you said this was a local orchard, so it is more than likely a small company. Would it be fair for her to have to hire and trian someone to replace you in 6 months? Then if you decide to go back after the baby, what is she to do with the person she hired to replace you? I can understand her not wanting to hire you. If you were applying at someplace like Wal-Mart, it would not be a big deal when you leave. Small businesses are much more affected by things like this.

Yes, she can give any number of reasons why she wouldn't hire me and that is exactly the reason I wouldnt want to try and take the time/effort to prove it. And, no, I do not want to work for a person like that.

My aunt owns a small family-run business that I have helped out at since I was 11. Two other aunts, my mother and my uncle all work there too. I understand the workings of a small business and how hard it can be to find and keep good help. However, I told this woman that I would not be requiring 'maternity leave' as I could not afford it. Therefore, she wouldn't have to deal with me leaving and or coming back afterwards or hiring someone to replace me. It is only a seasonal job (til October)...

justinenycole26
04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Ahhh, that makes more sense. You did not mention the seasonal part. Seems it would have worked out for both of you, provided you are due after October. Makes much more sense now.

JKATHERINE
04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I am due in July, but that is beside the point since I told her that I couldn't afford to take time off when I have the baby. But thanks for your thoughts :)

Linus1223
04-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by justinenycole26

Actually, despite any reason the employer may give, all they would have to do is hire someone who is as qualified as the poster and she would still have a case. Since she meets all the qualifications and can perform the essential functions of the job, by not being hired, she is being discriminated against, technically. How do you think people prove racial/sexual discrimination?

JKATHERINE
04-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks, Linus. I had no idea that's how it worked. :)

Urban Cowgirl
04-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Have you checked about getting on wic? That could help with your grocery bill a little. Hope things start looking up.

JKATHERINE
04-04-2004, 12:21 PM
I'd rather work for my money than get it handed to me since both my husband and I are able bodied and healthy, but thank you for the suggestion. :)

**This is not a jab at those who do use WIC or other means of 'help.' If I really needed it, I would try and get it, but I'm sure there are others out there who need that funding more than I do.**

FireFox1973
04-04-2004, 04:34 PM
I would call the labor department just on principle! That is not only illegal, it's downright mean and sexist! Well, rotten people like that get there's in the end. Just keep smilin and think happy thoughts to keep the little one on the way happy in there! LOL!!! Congrats on your first!!! :D

JWWB2000
04-05-2004, 04:32 AM
JKatherine------WIC is a very good program and even though you and your hubby are capable of working, if you can get it then use it. I was active duty military when I was pregnant with my dd. I really didn't need to use the program b/c I was getting by just fine but it really did help out when it came to the formula, milk, eggs, cheese, and cereal. It cut my grocercy bill down and I didn't have to worry about buying formula for my dd. If I were still able to get WIC, I would but my hubby and I make too much to even come close to qualifying.

Good luck with finding a second job though. The tutoring thing does sound like something you could easily do.