PDA

View Full Version : Definately wierd...

cch
03-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Not really a vent/whine, but I just don't think this fits in OTC.

I'm sitting here working on my website when I hear a knock at the door, I go to answer it and this woman asks if my kid's toys in the yard are for sale. I was dumbfounded! I told her no and she said someone told her to come out the highway I live on and they'd see a bunch of stuff sitting in a yard and the man that lives there was giving it away. Ok, now I know we're probably considered hillbillies and you always hear the jokes about hillbilly yard sales, but my yard is kept up and my kid's toys are organized in the yard, there is no way we could have been mistaked for a yard sale or whatever!

She tells me some sob story about her daughters house just burned and her and her kids lost everything and she's trying to replace some of it for them and she thought maybe my house was the one she was told about. Ok, now I'm a kind person, but this is just WIERD! I ask what size clothes the kids are needing and she didn't know, but they were 4, 8, and 9 or something like that. So I go get the boxes of things that my kids have outgrown and go thru them and send her away with two BIG boxes of clothes.

Now I'm sitting here wondering if this lady was really needing them or if she's just preying on peoples kindess. Ya know? I keep thinking of the story I used to hear about the homeless guy going door to door in the winter looking for a place to stay and it being Jesus so I'm sure I did the right thing, but this is just so wierd!

Anyway, I'm just rambling as usual, no need to reply. LOL I guess I'm just in shock.
Christy

freeby4me
03-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Hmm, That is quite odd. Perhaps what you could do is call the police station and tell them about her. Her description and what not, Tell them that you willingly gave her the clothes but it seemed so strange that you wanted to call them so if they get another phone call from someone else they'll know something is up.
Something does sound a bit strange about her story, Just because of the guy telling her about "this house" and she just happened to think your's was it.

Kelsey1224
03-30-2004, 12:01 PM
definitely weird...

It does sound like a scam to me...but you certainly didn't do anything wrong. I always figure, better to err on the side of kindness because you never know if you are entertaining angels unaware!

jonette5
03-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I'll bet there will be a happy Momma and kids when they see their "new" clothes! You did the right thing! That was really nice of you!

cch
03-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Well there is a guy who lives around here who has an old trailer park full of "junk" everything from clothing to furniture that he gives away. I guess he's sorta a dumpster diver type person who saves everything in the trailers, but he doesn't live anywhere near me.

schsa
03-30-2004, 12:21 PM
She was probably looking for the dumpster guy but assuming that this is true, (she has no way of knowing if you are that person or not) then you did a good deed.

ezmoney163
03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Christy~ that was so nice of you!!! I am sure she just mistook you for the person she was to look for and maybe being so distraut over her dd's lose wasn't really in the right state of mind. Ya know. You have a heart of gold hon!!

justinenycole26
03-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Yup, I would say she thought your yard was his. Not to say your yard is "full of junk" but if she had not seen his before, she would not have anything to compare. Did that make sense?

Anyway, just know that you did the right thing. If she is a scammer, karma will get her in the end. The karma police ARE watching. If not, there are some well dressed kids out there because YOU helped. Your conscience is free regardless.

And you freed your house of some clutter to boot!