PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to Shipshawanna (sp?),IN?

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Where is it,what is it exactly and is there a link??

*Kiss*
03-25-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.shipshewana.com/

A City in the heart of Amish Country! Never been there looks interesting :)

MamaFairal
03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
LQQKS like fun.....roadtrip??

Dolly<3
03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
It sounds SO familiar! We used to drive to Indiana a lot to visit family when I was younger so we have probably gone through it or something. I know I've heard of it before and I can't think of any other reason.

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by MamaFairal
LQQKS like fun.....roadtrip??

Yep :D

shelhop
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
I LOVE Shipshewana!!! The flea market is awesome. Rows and rows of stuff. And be sure to eat at the Amish restaurant while you're in the area. The food is incredible! I am SOooo jealous!
BTW...be sure to check out when they're open before you make the trip. For some reason I'm thinking they're not open on the weekends. Seems like we've always gone on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

adair
03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
We were there in October. It is in the heart of the Amish lands.

If you are driving, please watch for buggies and bicycles. The buggies and bikes are all required to have lights at night.

Have a fun trip there.

kelly12569
03-25-2004, 03:36 PM
there was a HUGE fire in Shipshewanna about a month ago. Most of the big flea market shopping center a total loss hun. Glad you posted something about it before driving all that way... Ill see if I can find a newsclip for ya and post it :(

I was there a few yrs ago and LOVED it...awesome deals, yummy food....so sad :(

Edited to add I think I made a boo boo... I thought it was the huge outdoor flea market but I think I was mistaken. Heres what I found for ya so far:

Fire destroys century-old building in Shipshewana

The Associated Press
March 1, 2004

SHIPSHEWANA, IND. -- Investigators Monday were trying to determine the cause of a weekend fire that destroyed a century-old building in Shipshewana.

The block-long Davis Mercantile building, which contained a hotel and shops, burned to the ground and the loss was estimated at $5 million, Shipshewana Fire Department Chief Keith Roth, said. No one was injured.

The fire was first noticed about 11:30 p.m. Saturday and brought under control at 7 a.m. Sunday. Investigators from the state fire marshal and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were expected on the scene Monday to search for a cause.

The northern Indiana town of Shipshewana draws tourists to its arts, crafts and specialty shops as well as it outlet malls.

kelly12569
03-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Owners of Shipshewana Building Destroyed By Fire Plan to Rebuild
(Shipshewana, IN) - A late February fire destroyed a favorite tourist attraction in LaGrange County.
Now that much of the rubble has been removed, people there are deciding what the future will hold.

An intense fire late in February left only charred remains and many merchants wondering what the next step would be just a few short weeks away from a new and vital tourist season.

Now owners of the Davis Mercantile Building say they've decided there's no place like home.

Owner Alvin Miller says, “We have decided to concentrate on the current site, where the buildings were that burned. And we've been in conversation with both town officials as well as county officials and see no reason why we can't build pretty much like what we had there. There'll be some changes, especially on Main Street.”

The clean up since the fire has proceeded rather quickly.

This is the area where the fire took place.

Most of the debris is already gone, and basically all that's left is a hole in the ground.

Ten businesses were located in the Mercantile Building.

While some owners are still deciding their future, others made the decision to set up temporary quarters in this quaint northern Indiana town.

Alvin Miller expects the rebuilding process to start soon.

“Hopefully we can start the actual rebuilding process right after the first of May. Perhaps the 3rd of May. That's the target date” says Miller.

Miller went on to say the new building will closely resemble the one destroyed by the fire.

And popular Shipshewana tourist attractions such as the Flea Market and May Fest will start early in May on schedule.

Michelle Anderson is from Churubusco and says she and her friends are frequent visitors to Shipshewana and they're pleased the new building will resemble the old.

“Oh my gosh…for years, every summer two, three, four times. We should like to see it stay the same” says Anderson. (Edited by Nicole Hahn.)

kelly12569
03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
another thing is ... once ya get out in the boonies driving there it is almost non stop garage sales the whole way there! You'll pass all kinds of lil flea markets and road side stands, etc. Its almost worth making a weekend out of!

Wow...now ya got me in the mood for a summer road trip....LOL

oh and if ya type in Shipshewana Indiana it will give you several links!

hotdoglove
03-25-2004, 04:57 PM
hmm sounds interesting!

Lora_1994
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Where at in Indiana is it?? I'd LOVE to go there. The Amish lifestyle just amazes me.

queenangie
03-25-2004, 06:20 PM
http://www.shipshewana.com/map.php

Northeastern Indiana area.

tsquared
03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DAVESBABYDOLL
Yep :D
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry but that is not the name of my town:eek: :D

BigLyd1
03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
ROFL with TT :D

tsquared
03-25-2004, 06:57 PM
My town is easier to spell Lydia....

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by kelly12569
another thing is ... once ya get out in the boonies driving there it is almost non stop garage sales the whole way there! You'll pass all kinds of lil flea markets and road side stands, etc. Its almost worth making a weekend out of!

Wow...now ya got me in the mood for a summer road trip....LOL

oh and if ya type in Shipshewana Indiana it will give you several links!

Yep,I saw that on the web site,they said they will be open tho for the flea market May-October.I was asking because I want to go in June or July.Garage sales?? I'm SO there!!

tsquared
03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DAVESBABYDOLL
Yep,I saw that on the web site,they said they will be open tho for the flea market May-October.I was asking because I want to go in June or July.Garage sales?? I'm SO there!!

June is out cause you will be busy that month............:D

Safire
03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Well if you are going to Wander Indiana
then you should try and make it to two
of this Hoosiers fav spots.
Metamora which is Awesome, and The Friendship Fleamarket where
people come from all over to set up their booths.
Here are a couple links.

http://www.metamora.com/

http://www.ripleycountytourism.com/events.asp

Wherever you decide to go in this beautiful state
I hope you have a Wonderful time :D

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-26-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Safire
Well if you are going to Wander Indiana
then you should try and make it to two
of this Hoosiers fav spots.
Metamora which is Awesome, and The Friendship Fleamarket where
people come from all over to set up their booths.
Here are a couple links.

http://www.metamora.com/

http://www.ripleycountytourism.com/events.asp

Wherever you decide to go in this beautiful state
I hope you have a Wonderful time :D

THANKS FOR THE LINKS!!

Tom,yep,I will be busy,driving back form Ca. the middle of June,so looks like July,but with the heat maybe October lol