PDA

View Full Version : telephone solictors

cookiegirl
03-25-2004, 08:54 AM
my friend is getting many phone calls from this one solictor, she has told them every time to put her on their do not call list. she has signed up with the national do not call registry.
They are still calling her. she has spoken to thier supervisors and managers. They still call. she is at her wits end. I know that she can just not answer the phoneor screen her calls.
I read a story once where you can file either an action or a suit against telemarkeers if they still call you after you have told them to remove your name and number from their list. Does anyone know anything about them. If there is a phone number or a website where we caould obtain more info.

Thanks for your help.

MamaFairal
03-25-2004, 08:58 AM
I have the same problem with MCI calling me regarding an outstanding bill for whomever had my number before me.

My phone is thru the pager & phone co store which means its basically a "Pre-paid" service month 2 month.....I have never had MCI and dont know who this person is either....but yet EVERYDAY MCI calls here at least 3 times a day without fail.
I also have talked with supervisors/managers and finally wrote them a cease & disiss letter letter telling them if they call here again i will take legal actions.
I mailed the letter last week and so far this week havent had any calls the 24th and none today either so maybe they get the point now.

DO NOT CALL registry is not applicable to anyone YOU give your number out to!

AngelGrim
03-25-2004, 09:09 AM
There is a man through a credit repair company that calls my mom at least twice a week telling her that she should take care of her credit card debt and he can help her do it, there is only one problem, my mom DOES NOT have a credit card and never has. I spoke to this man myself, got her on the do not call registry, and yet he calls. This has been going on for about a year, so she has decided to tell him she wants the information so she can contact the company and let them know that she is not going to tolerate them any longer. Seems sad that even after you tell them not to call and all that they still disrespect people enough to keep calling.

JENNIFERCATLADY
03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Here's what to do: KEEP A RECORD OF EVERY CALL!!!! 1. Get the person's name that is calling you. 2. Get the name of the company they are calling FOR. 3. Get the name of the company they are calling FROM (in most cases these are 2 different companies). 4. Tell them to send you written confirmation that you have been added to their Do Not Call list. 5. Write down the day and time they called. 6. If after 30 days you are still receiving calls from the contact your State Attorney General. Also, as it stands right now only the decision maker can request to be put on a DNC list. That means if they are calling for John Doe then John Doe is the only one that can say "Put me on your Do Not Call list." As for the National Do Not Call list....it's a joke. It does not apply to political calls, not for profit, non profit calls, or anyone that you have had contact with in the past 18 MONTHS. I hope that helps!

JWWB2000
03-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I hate those phone calls!! What a pain and I feel for anyone who gets these. As Jenn mentioned, keep a journal and then file a complaint if they do not do as they say they are going to. Good luck with these pain in the butt phone calls!

babymaniac
03-25-2004, 12:09 PM
We used to have tons of these calls.First I told them all to add us to the do not call list. Some kept calling and then I put us on the do not call registry.That helped a bunch but there were still some that kept calling.Then I figured the remainder were just asking for it so I always gave them a hard time when they called.

Such as " No mam , I am not the home owner.They are on vacation.I am here robbing the place and was just about to unplug the phone and take it when you called."

Or they ask for Mr.(my last name ) and I tell them he is unavailable.Then they ask am I his wife .I reply," No,I am his girlfriend but his wife should be here any minute. Lady I really need to go !!"

And so on and so forth , whatever I can think of to say at the time.
It is so quiet around here these days.:D

DivineMsDi
03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Our phone used to ring off the hook. For the first 2 years it was always someone looking for "So and So" business or "Jack Burns". Over and over we would say, sorry, we are not Jack Burns or his business. This is a private home. I think "Jack" owed money to a lot of people or used this number for credit. One time a guy harassed me because he thought I was lying about not being So and So company.

Finally they all stopped calling, though we still get the occasional call for "Burns." (the name Jack Burns is one I made up. Can't remember the name they wanted.)

The do not call thing has helped us a lot. The only ones that call now are the State Park Police/their marketing people asking for $$$. We have told them about 2,000 times we don't donate over the phone and please don't call.

You can do what I do. Say you are the babysitter, elderly grandma, or pretend to talk Chinese. Say you call Chinese restaurant. Can I take your order?

My nephew and I made a long list of what to say...it was pretty funny. Sorry, I can't recall all of them, or repeat some...they were pretty rude.

hotdoglove
03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
i hopethe calls stop!

Urban Cowgirl
03-25-2004, 02:13 PM
babymaniac!!! I like the g/f one!!! HeHe

kvmj
03-25-2004, 03:51 PM
The instances where people are calling to collect a debt that isn't yours don't fall under the category of telephone solicitors.

Since you've told these people that you are not their debtor and not to call again, you should document the time, date, number and name of the person calling and call your phone company. They can be very nasty.

hockeymom
03-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Keep a whistle by the phone, gets them every time!!

Hockeymom

twinkiesmom
03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by jaynbobbi
babymaniac!!! I like the g/f one!!! HeHe
ITA!

Originally posted by DivineMsDi

You can do what I do. Say you are the babysitter, elderly grandma, or pretend to talk Chinese.

My grandma used to do that, say she was the babysitter, etc. and it didn't help cuz they'd call back another time anyway! Which makes sense cuz they wanna talk to the home owner.

cookiegirl
03-27-2004, 09:13 AM
thank you all so much for the advice. i will pass it all on to my friend. i know she is going crazy with these calls. i personally pay 4.95 a month for sprint privacy because it was to the point where we were getting 5-10 calls a day. it has been well worth it for me. i am on the phone all day at work. could not take the phone ringing all nite as well.
i knew i would be able to get help here. you are all so nice and always know how to help. i appreciate you all very much :D

JENNIFERCATLADY
03-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Keep a whistle by the phone, gets them every time!!

Hockeymom...for your sake I hope that was a joke. If not, I hope that you realize that YOU can be sued for blowing a whistle in someone's ear like that.

Taegus
03-27-2004, 09:23 PM
:) Everyone here gave the advice I would have given...great job guys and gals!