PDA

View Full Version : Contacts

Logitech
03-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Hello,
I'm totally frusturated with my contact lenses! I got Acuvue 2 and Acuvue Toric today, and guess what? They are darn hard to get into my eyes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the the contacts into my eyes without having to try for a couple of hours and then getting frusturated. I got the left one (the smaller one) in my left eye earlier, but the optometrist had to get my right one(the one with the stigmatism that is LARGE) into my right eye. I can take them out fine and everything, but it is just GETTING the contact lenses in each eye. I'm a teen, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!:confused: :mad:

irrelevant0
03-24-2004, 08:10 PM
were you shown how to do this? you are not supposed to be allowed to leave until they see for themselves that you can get them in and out without hurting yourself or having difficulty. i wear acuvue 2, tehy are supposed to be easiest to get in...
the best avice i can give is to hold your lower eyelid down, and open your eyes as far as you can. make sure the contact isn't backwards, and make sure it is on the very tip of your finger. touch it to your eye and it should stick. you may have to blink a bit to get it straightened out, but that should work... good luck. :)

Logitech
03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes they showed me, but I find it hard to do, since I have long eyelashes.

Tracy'sMom
03-24-2004, 08:45 PM
I dont have any suggestions but I hope You get it figured out soon.

catssass
03-24-2004, 09:01 PM
How to insert and remove your pair of contact lens easily?

What may at first seem difficult can become easy with a little practice. The following procedures will help you to insert and remove your pair of contact lens easily.

To put your lens on

Rinse your lens in a multi-purpose or saline solution.
Keep your head up and look straight ahead.
Place the lens on the tip of your index finger. Pull down your lower eyelid with your middle finger.
Look up steadily at a point above you.
Place the lens on the lower white of your eye.
Remove your index finger and release the lower lid.
Look down. Close your eyes for a moment, and the lens will centre itself.

Momster
03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
I use the index finger of one hand to hold the top lid up to keep my eyelashes out of the way, and the middle finger of the other hand to hold the bottom lid down, and I use the index finger of that hand to put the contact in, at least thats the way they showed me to do it.

PreciousDarlin
03-24-2004, 10:16 PM
When I first got contacts, I found that if I try to use a mirror, I blink every time. If I can see my finger headed towards my eye, I inevitably blink. Try putting them in without looking in a mirror. It works for me :)

FreebieCyn
03-25-2004, 03:32 AM
Both of my children wear contact, and it took a little while for them to be able to get them in......Takes alot of practice...Now they are able to put both in within seconds.....Just keep practicing hun, you can do it......Good luck

JWWB2000
03-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Like everyone has mentioned above, it will just take some time and lots of practice of putting the contacts in to get it down. Once you have found a comfortable for you, stick with it and then it will seem like nothing. Good luck with them. BTW, I have been wearing them for over 12 years now and sometimes they still give me a run for my money in the mornings. LOL

Urban Cowgirl
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
It took me tons of practice....then the doc did not want me to wear them while I was pregnant. So I gotta go get a new scrip soon and I am sure I will have to practice all over again. Good luck.

Jaxx
03-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I've had them for 6 years and i STILL have problems putting them
in and taking them out,too bad insurance does not cover the surgery
to correct the vision lol

DivineMsDi
03-25-2004, 09:41 AM
It does take awhile to master this, but in time you will. I can put mine in or out in about 2 seconds w/out a mirror. You just have to keep at it. I was 16 or 17 when I got mine. I remember in the begining it took me a VERY long time..(like over a half an hour!)to get them in and out.

My DH tried contacts but he couldn't do it. He gave up. He also said they felt like rocks in his eyes.

Hang in there. :)

Linus1223
03-25-2004, 10:50 AM
I worked at an optometrist's office for almost two years. I found that the most common mistake that people made was that when I told people that they need to hold back their lashes, they would hold on to their brow bone - which WILL NOT help you at all. You need to make sure that you're holding your lashes back so the contact will not touch them and flop inside out and it will also prevent you from blinking.

Also, don't PUSH the contact on your eye. It won't work. You simply need to touch your eye with the lens. When you feel it on your eye, bring you finger away (it should be on your eye at this point) and CLOSE YOUR EYE. This will help prevent it from falling out.

Hope that helped. If you need any help, PM me!

Linus1223
03-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot....Toric lenses have a part that is heavier than the rest of the lens. The heavier part will naturally want to go to the bottom of your eye. It take anywhere from a half an hour to an hour for it to settle which can be why it is so hard for you to put in.

I am almost positive that with Acuvue Torics that there is a tiny line in the lens (barely visible). When you are trying to insert the lens, try to insert it so that line is on the bottom so it will take less time to settle.

hotdoglove
03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
hope you can deal with them! i really miss my contacts- i have to wear glasses cause my eyes are messed up really bad from other health stuff

mom2cvam
03-25-2004, 01:56 PM
I've been wearing contacts for a little over 2 years now. I wear the torics and it took me a couple of months before I really got it down. Linus is right, my contacts have a little line in them that goes to the bottom. Finding that line makes it easier to put them in. Once in a while I'll still have a bad morning when it takes me a half hour or so to get them in. Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

justinenycole26
03-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by jaynbobbi
It took me tons of practice....then the doc did not want me to wear them while I was pregnant. So I gotta go get a new scrip soon and I am sure I will have to practice all over again. Good luck.

I have never heard of anything like that. What was the reason they gave you?

Linus1223
03-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by justinenycole26
I have never heard of anything like that. What was the reason they gave you?

Pregnancy makes your prescription fluctuate dramatically.. It's a very common thing.

JWWB2000
03-26-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Linus1223
Pregnancy makes your prescription fluctuate dramatically.. It's a very common thing.

I must be one of the lucky ones who has not had a problem with the prescription of my contacts while being pregnant with my dd and now with my ds. My prescription has not changed in over 5 years and I go every year just to make sure.

twinkiesmom
03-26-2004, 03:07 PM
when I first got my contacts when I graduated, it took me at least 10min an eye to get em in. It does take practice at first. Oh, and I had the hard lenses to start with. They don't have em anymore, but those buggers were pistols to work with.

Kelsey1224
03-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I wore contacts for 20 years...thank goodness for lasix!!!

Anyway...I found that it was easier to take one hand and pull top and bottom eyelashes back with my index finger and thumb. Insert the contact with the other hand.

It takes practice...practice...practice.

You are not the lone ranger here. We all had to take awhile to master the technique! It becomes second nature before you know it!

Linus1223
03-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by twinkiesmom
I had the hard lenses to start with. They don't have em anymore, but those buggers were pistols to work with.

Yes, hard lenses are still made and people do still wear them.

moogle
03-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I've got gas permeable lenses - about the same size and texture as hard lenses. (My eyes are too bad for soft.....I'm at worse than 20/400 with no correction.)

While these were harder to get used to than soft (worn them before), I think they are easier to put in my eyes, as they are smaller. I also think they are easier to take care of. And a big thing on the plus side - they are better for your eyes as they allow more oxygen to get through than soft.

Keep working at it! Putting them in will get easier and easier.