PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried to warn somebody?

ladyseals
03-19-2004, 03:41 AM
I have a cousin who is divorced with 4 kids. Anyway, she has been talking to the guy online for about a few months or so. She spend all her free time talking to him. Anyway, that would be fine it is just he if from Africa and she is going to go see him :confused: I thought she might have been kidding and I joked with her and said she better be careful and she does not know him and he could have 6 wives there or something like that (that IS possible). But, she got mad at me and started saying stuff like he is not like that and this is her time to go and haa haa haa (like nanny nanny) and just other things that kind of let me know she was upset or offended.
Anyway, I think she is out of her mind to go there to be with him. She does not know him at all and could be putting herself in danger. I would not even go accross the US to meet a man, let alone accross the world. She said that they have web cammed and that is all she needs. I think she is in love with him or something. Then I said I was sorry if I offended her and I just want her to be careful and then she ignored me :confused:

I don't really know why she is mad at me the reason I said something is because I care, anyone ever had a similar situation?

laughsalot
03-19-2004, 05:39 AM
I would be concerned about her too. I was be too scared to go across the world to meet someone, even if I wasnt married,lol. Why cant he come here? I am sorry that she isnt seeing your point but maybe she is seeing it as happiness for her. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Its hard to warn someone when they dont want to be warned. Hugs to you for being so thoughtful and caring!

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Well,if she won't listen to you,just make sure you know exactly where in Africa she will be and all info,just in case you don't hear from her (God forbid) try to get his internet name too.

Willow
03-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I was involved with someone from another country but he was from England and what a mistake that turned out to be. Wasted three years of my life with this person. I recently met someone else online but he's only 20 minutes away. lol We've seen each other twice this week already.

buttrfli
03-19-2004, 08:26 AM
I agree with DBD - get ALL the info you possibly can. If nothing else, it will make you feel a little better knowing that you have it.

PreciousDarlin
03-19-2004, 08:30 AM
I have met several people from the internet, even met my husband in a chatroom. When I was younger, I was even stupid enough to meet them alone. Luckily, I was never hurt. But, I wouldn't travel across the world to meet someone. The furthest away from my hometown I've ever met someone is 4 hours and that was only because my husband and I were in her town on a visit anyways. She was a friend of hubby's.
My BIL decided he was going to California to live with a girl he met online. He promised to call when he got there, but we never heard from him (he had been living on my couch). We didn't know where exactly he was going to be, a number to contact him at, or even the full name of the girl he went to meet. Make sure you know all this before she leaves. Get all the information you can from her, just to be on the safe side. At least that way, if something happens and you don't hear from her for an extended period of time, you will have some information to start with.

buttrfli
03-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by PreciousDarlin

My BIL decided he was going to California to live with a girl he met online. He promised to call when he got there, but we never heard from him (he had been living on my couch). We didn't know where exactly he was going to be, a number to contact him at, or even the full name of the girl he went to meet.

OMIGOSH! Have you still not heard from him?? :eek:

nanajoanie
03-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Frightening as this is, does she have a will or power of attorney for the children in case anything happens to her? What would happen to the children? Sorry to be so morbid. This sounds a bit selfish to me on her part. And I agree with laughsalot - why can't he come here? He already sounds controlling and she might be falling into a trap. Prayers for the whole family. Hope I didn't offend anyone by being so blunt.

Willow
03-19-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm wondering why he isn't coming here to see her too. Most of the times people want to leave their country and come to the United States. That does seem a bit strange that he would ask her to go there.

NINK
03-19-2004, 09:00 AM
my cousin kept meeting these boys(she was a teen) on line and i hated it, i lived in houston at the time so talking to her on line was all i could do, she met one from austraila and was talking about moving there, i was like you don't even know this guy! she was like, oh yeah i do because of all he said online and i guess he called her on the phone too. than she met a guy from like the middle east,i e-mailed her a bunch of info on thier culture and told her to be carefull. thankfully both of those relationships faded before they could meet up, all though she did meet a guy that lived close. i think it is so scary to meet/date any one, even if they live next door you don't know the person and you have no idea what theya re capable of doing, let alone meeting some one on line. now i know there have been many marriages this way and it is a great dating tool, but you have to be realy carefull. i am just so happy i married my highschool sweetheart and never had to date,go to bars or anything, that to me seems real scary. it'd be hard to trust the person. with hubby and i we live in small town usa, everyoen knows everyone else and when i told my grandma who i was dating she knew his grandma, it turned out his aunts had went to school with my great aunts and his uncle had went to school with my aunt. his dad had a crush on my great aunt. so there can't be much lies or decite there, you'd know right away if some one was nuts! i definatly agree with finding out everything you can about where she is going, and if she gives you his name try finding out about him too. just by typing hgis name in to google you sometimes can find info, and you can check him on the sexual predators or most wanted lists too.

PreciousDarlin
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by buttrfli
OMIGOSH! Have you still not heard from him?? :eek:

Okay, my fault :D I forgot to include that she got tired of him within the month and sent him packing. We finally got in touch with him while he was out there (just took nearly two weeks, we even called the police). This happened nearly 2 years ago and he is fine now, living back in his hometown with his aunt. Sorry to scare ya! :D

Bick'sMom
03-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Well, I met my DH online, I even went to visit him first, but he wasn't in another country, or even from another culture. I too am surprised that he doesn't want to come here to visit her. There are alot of people out there that want to meet someone from the States or Canada and all they are looking for is a green card. How long has she been divorced? Maybe she is just lonely and needs to get out and have some fun here?

I don't really know what I would do in that situation, all I offer is hugs and hope that things work out for you and your cousin.

zitra
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
My MIL met a guy in a Christian chat room, that lives in Sweden. He flew out here to visit her, and then shew flew to Sweden for a week. Yes it can be scary, and frigenting, but not always. I would suggest to her that the guy come vist her fisrt the way my MIL did, that way she could meet him, and see what he is like (have him meet the family, etc.) before she makes any big decision to go to Africa. And if he isn't willing to visit her first, I would think something is up.