PDA

View Full Version : Woman gets criminal record for petting dog

YankeeMary
03-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Woman gets criminal record for petting dog

Associated Press — March 12, 2004

SAN JOSE, Calif. — All Tamar Sherman wanted to do was pet a dog and give it some water. Sherman's act left her with a criminal record.

A few months ago, Sherman was walking near her South San Jose home and encountered a dog left outside in the cold while its owners were inside.

Sherman, a member of a national group called Dogs Deserve Better, decided to pet the dog on a few occasions and once gave it water. That didn't please the dog's owner.

"When I went out there to fill up the dog bowl, this woman was standing in my back yard," attorney Ron Berki told the San Jose Mercury News. "My response was, 'Who … are you?' She told me, 'I'm here to pet your dog.'"

For that, Sherman pleaded guilty this week to two misdemeanors — trespassing and prowling — and was sentenced to 75 hours of community service and a year of probation. She also was ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from Berki's home.

"I just wanted to find out if a dog that seemed to be in distress was OK," Sherman told the paper. "I do not think my actions were a crime in comparison with abuse or neglect of animals."

Berki denies that his dog, Bailey, was abused or neglected, saying the dog sleeps inside with him every night.

"If Miss Sherman was so concerned about my dog, it would have been easy to come to my front door and speak to me directly," he said.

UNREAL!!!

nanajoanie
03-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Wish the folks in her town would rally around her and get the charges dropped and fine the owners for animal neglect!!!

Vertigo
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Nana, where was the abuse? My dog goes outside on the patio most of the day. If the person petting the dog and giving it water felt strongly enough, she should have called the SPCA and they could have come out legally and looked for themselves to see if abuse was going on. No good deed goes unpunished.

stresseater
03-17-2004, 08:18 PM
I agree that this woman is tresspassing. She should be punished for that. She is also lucky she didn't try that with my dogs they would still be looking for pieces of her. I can't believe anyone would think it's ok to just walk into someone else's backyard with their dog back there to boot.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: This happened in San Jose California?? What's there record low tempurature,40 degrees(hey where is the degree sign on a keyboard?);) ;) ;)

freeby4me
03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
From what I can tell from that she had been by the house numerous times and it wasnt the first time she petted the dog. Also, Im guessing this probably wasnt the only time she came across the dog with no water. (I know dogs ALWAYS knock over their dishes so im not saying that its the owners fault) I dont think she was accusing the owners of animal cruelty or anything, Rather using that as an example. If you read it a certain way i suppose you could see what im talking about. "My actions I dont feel were criminal compared to say cruelty of an animal. That would be more severe" thats what I hear myself when i read her statement. Sorry its long but i have a hard time explaining how i see things without it coming out wrong so i try and make it right :)

NINK
03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
hold down the alt button and while holding it down press the number 248, like this ° there are tons of things you can get by doing different number combos, ½ Ό ╩ Θ

CHERNL
03-18-2004, 03:28 AM
NINK!! Where can I find a list of stuff I can make my keyboard do by holding down ALT? I have been trying to find that degree symbol for years now. PM me if it is available!
Thanks!

ntgsmommy
03-18-2004, 07:04 AM
hold down the alt button and while holding it down press the number 248, like this ° there are tons of things you can get by doing different number combos, ½ Ό ╩ Θ

That's totally cool!--I never knew you could do that either! If there is a list available, I would like it too!

Kelsey1224
03-18-2004, 08:05 AM
That's how I make my winky face sig...

alt147 = τ
alt168 = Ώ
alt126 = ~

τΏ~