PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe people would bring this to school.

suziebee20
03-15-2004, 09:01 PM
We had to do projects for english on Angle Saxons or the Medieval period. There was a long list to choose from. Two girls got together and did the one where they were to prepare and serve the class an Angle Saxon dish from a recipe they found. They came with this strawberry stuff that looked like apple sauce. As they were preparing to serve it the teacher asks what is in it. One of them reads, "Strawberrys, vanilla, white wine, sugar..." The teacher asked them if they knew about the no alcohol policy on campus and they said it was "just a pinch." Their idea of a pinch was 1 1/2 cups of wine!! And judging from the size of the tupperware, it was mostly wine. She told them they could not turn it in and one of them began to argue saying it's not like the class was going to get drunk off it....

Is it just me or should high school seniors have the sense to know not to bring stuff containing wine onto campus :rolleyes:?? So I had an interesting kind of day. On the plus side the castle me and Kyla made didn't fall apart, and I think I scored well on my research paper.

cpbaby
03-15-2004, 09:14 PM
NO alcohol means NO ALCOHOL. I cant believe the PARENTS let them make it.

Ok, if it was cooked, supposedly the majority of the alcohol would cook off, but still. :rolleyes:

As for your project, I hope you did very well and CONGRATULATIONS on your castle not falling apart.

freeby4me
03-16-2004, 06:19 AM
If I were the teacher i would have suspended them for a couple of days. I know the type, "rules dont apply to me" NUH UH :D
Congrats on your project turning out well! Let us know what grade you got :D

Jaxx
03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by cpbaby
I cant believe the PARENTS let them make it.

the parents probably dont know they make it,most likely
they snuck the wine ;)

NINK
03-16-2004, 09:12 AM
well if was baked than it is o.k. because the alcohol would be gone. but if it was not baked than no they should not have brought that to class.

we had a boy make mead for our english class, wich is an old form of beer. we had the thing almost gone before the teacher realised it REALY WAS mead, i mean i guess she just asumed a highschool kid couldn't actualy make it, but he did and as soon as she realised it was actualy alcoholic she made him go poor it down the sink. but we were in a very small farming comunity school so there was no punishment involved.

Technologist
03-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Hate to tell you all, but most ALCOHOL does not burn off in cooking...

If you marinate a T-bone in red wine, you would have to cook that steak for 3 HOURS to burn off 98% of the alcohol...

Most people would only cook that steak for 14 to 18 minutes... which only burns off 10 to 15%.

NINK
03-16-2004, 09:32 AM
no, in a cooking,sauteing and the like you can still have quite alot of alcohol left behind, and any of the flambe' dishes still have almot all, like 70-80 %. but when you bake it is much less, but still could be 4 or 5 percent easy but not generaly thought of as bad to serve, they don't ask you for an id when you order them. but may be they should?

schsa
03-16-2004, 09:42 AM
The only problem is that most of the foods they ate then contained wine because most people didn't drink water. And those girls should have known better. They should have used grape juice instead.

Technologist
03-16-2004, 10:20 AM
PREPARATION METHOD vs Alcohol Retained

No heat application, immediate consumption = 100%
No heat application, overnight storage = 70%
Alcohol ingredient added to boiling liquid, and removed from heat = 85%
Flamed = 75%
Baked, approximately 25 minutes, alcohol ingredient on surface of mixture (not stirred in) = 45%
Baked/simmered, alcohol ingredient stirred into mixture
15 minutes = 40%
30 minutes = 35%
1 hour = 25%
1.5 hours = 20%
2 hours = 10%
2.5 hours = 5%

So, if you are cooking with 100 proof alcohol, and you cook / bake for 2.5 hours, there is still 5% alcohol remaining.... or the equivalent amount found in a beer.... too much for underage people to consume.

nanajoanie
03-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech - think I'll come to your house to eat. I use white wine in some oriental dishes, red wine in German beef dishes and that's about it. Maybe you could teach me some new ideas of cooking with wine.

Technologist
03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Get in line... everybody wants a guy that can cook!

WHen I get OLD(er), I'm gonna open either a bar and grill, or a diner....LOL!

IMtightwad
03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Technologist

So, if you are cooking with 100 proof alcohol, and you cook / bake for 2.5 hours, there is still 5% alcohol remaining.... or the equivalent amount found in a beer.... too much for underage people to consume.

I don't think it really is that much because if you bake something, usually one person is not eating the whole thing. They are getting a small portion while consuming food. Even a teen would not get a buzz...

:confused:

Muki
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
buzz or not - they are underaged and it should not have been brought to school. imho ........

IMtightwad
03-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Muki
buzz or not - they are underaged and it should not have been brought to school. imho ........
[/B]

That was not my point. I don't think it was right for them to bring to school. If you look above what I wrote, you will see what I am commenting on

:eek:

advocate
03-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Aren't they Anglo-Saxons? California schools have zero tolerance on drugs, alcohol and weapons, if it were my kids school they would have left in handcuffs and been charged. But our schools really mean zero tolerance, thats why kids go to jail for nail clippers around here and motrin for cramps.

suziebee20
03-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Should have mentioned. The teacher asked them if they cooked it and they said no. After she found out about the wine and told them they could not turn it in they tried to turn it around and say "oh yeah, we did cook it." They were able to bring another one in today without wine. If the principal found out they probably would have gotten in trouble, however I don't think the teacher told the administration. We have used small amounts of white wine in our culinary arts class, only our teacher poured it into our skillets for us.