PDA

View Full Version : Stop Fat Discrimination

DivineMsDi
03-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Belle's post about how she may lose her job because she is overweight makes me so angry! Now all you see on the news is how obesity is the new big killer. I agree we all need to be healthier. We all need to stop treating fast food like homecooking and eat smarter. We all could use more exercise. But, oh, I am so sick of all the posts on the various boards that are so CRUEL about fat people.

I am overweight, but not enormous. I lost 30 lbs and work hard to keep it off and hope to lose more. If not, so be it. At least I am able to exercise at least 5 times a week and I try to eat better. If someone doesn't like how I look, that's their problem. I don't wear middrift tops or clothes that show my flab.

I'm probably in better shape than many skinnier people. All this aside, I am so tired of how mean people are to fat people. Unless you have had a weight problem, you will never know what any overweight person goes through. The next time one of you thinner (or maybe not so thin) people mocks a fat person in the store, or supermarket or wherever, stop and think.

Some people are just HUGE and greedy. Yes, that is true. But some fat people do try to do something. We all have skeletons in our closets. Unfortunately if you are fat, it shows and people feel they have the right to tease or torment you. Should we go around making fun of the person addicted to cigarettes or alcohol and call them losers, big pigs or whatever? Stop and think.

AngelGrim
03-15-2004, 12:06 PM
I have to agree. I am always hearing people say, oh that person is fat so she must be lazy or shes fat, she must sit and eat and watch tv all day. that is not always the case when someone is heavy. And no one should make fun of others, it just isn't nice or right. And in doing so it just shows ignorance.

karefree
03-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Amen.

Kelsey1224
03-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I so totally agree. Even the comments about Kirstie Alley bother me. So the woman gained weight. Is she less of a person? Aren't we all lucky that we aren't on national TV to be scrutinzed.

God bless Oprah for keeping her battles with weight out there so that every day people can relate!

karefree
03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I understand what you are saying completely, Kelsey. Kirstie is a beautiful woman no matter what her weight is. She has no less talent because of her size. I know that I am sensitive to this though because I also have weight issues and I hope no one who made mention of Kirsti's weight gain did so maliciously.

I am so happy for Belle and proud of the manager who quit before doing what was so obviously wrong and of Belle for fighting no only for herself but for everyone else who has been put in the same position. You GO, Belle.

schsa
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
A skinny person who doesn't work out and sits on the couch all day is in worse shape than a heavy person who does work out.

Just because you aren't model thin doesn't mean that you aren't healthy. Just because you don't fit a size 8 doesn't mean that you can't do a 45 minute work out and not be wheezing when you get done.

Kirsty Alley can be any size she wants. She reminds me of Delta Burke. She was never going to be a thin person and like the rest of us as she has gotten older she has put on weight. I still think that she is probably one of the world's most beautiful women and if I had to choose between her and Kate Moss, Kirsty would win hands down.

catdance
03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
If the Lord wanted everyone to look like, uhmm, Tyra Bank's, we would.. well Oprah is a good one, she is at least REAL..good thing we don't..we would look awfully the same..Girl, be you, and be good at it!!!
(()))'s..

laughsalot
03-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Hugs to all you ladies who have said exactly what i was thinking!!

JENNIFERCATLADY
03-15-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm not flaming anyone here, but I know that I am going to get flamed for this but....

I'm probably in better shape than many skinnier people. All this aside, I am so tired of how mean people are to fat people. Unless you have had a weight problem, you will never know what any overweight person goes through. The next time one of you thinner (or maybe not so thin) people mocks a fat person in the store, or supermarket or wherever, stop and think.
This sounds like reversed discrimmination to me. I have a weight problem,but a lot of you will disagree with me. It's a struggle for me to get my weight over 110 pounds. I would LOVE to gain about 30 or 35 pounds.

stickers
03-16-2004, 12:54 AM
There is so much more to that....

When you gain weight, you get more fat cells. These "do not" go away once you loose weight. What does that mean? it means that you can gain it back as fast as a torpedo can run.

This is my story....

We all know about the norplant birth control method, well, when i was 21, i had my only child and wanted to stop. The dr. said no that i was too young to make that decision and said norplant was the best thing and that it would be ok. I would only miss a period here or there.

Well......

I lost all my weight after my daughter's birth and within 23 days i gained 92lbs. This was all the lovely norplant's doing (said by all my drs.) It seems the hormones it gave instead of doing little by little, did it all at big numbers and caused the rappid weight gain and all the throwing up i did daily for over a year until i finally broke down against my will and had the abortion clinic take it out (im against abortions and it was the only way to get it out cuz i didn't have the money).

After I got it out the weight never went away. I went to the dr. and he said that my body adapted to the weight gain and unless i starved myself to death it wouldn't help because the reason people bounce back to fat is because the fat cells stay when you are skinny and you have to eat like a rabbit to keep it all off.

He reccomends liposuction which I hope to do next year finally (been 10 years i have been fat).

Soooo, even though I eat 2 meals a day and hardly ever snack, i am still over 200lbs. "lucky me".

So, as others have said, you have to be here to understand. Some of us get stuck with it when we dont' eat deserts, candy etc.

Like today, I had a atkins wrap at subway and a chicken salad to eat. Not a ton of fat and that is how i eat daily. No cheese in the salad etc. just letace, low fat/carb dressing, avacado (that has the good fat) and tomato with broiled chicken breast.

My heart goes out to all those overweight, it goes out even more to those who cannot control their cravings. it is frustrating and emotionally hard to try and squeeze your toosh into a movie chair at the theatre just so you can see a movie.

All I got from norplant was a sorry and $700. Not enough for even 1/3 of a liposuck.

God bless you all.

*one more thing I forgot...
Went to the dr. and he told me.... get this.... I am in an anarexic mode (can't spell sorry). because i don't eat "enough" my weight can't change. i just can't seem to win. But i did eat one meal a day for about 5 years. I am doing better but the weight is not moving lol.

DivineMsDi
03-16-2004, 04:26 AM
JenniferCatLady...I think you bring up a valid point...I am not going to flame you for your opinion. Small minds flame others who "disagree." I believe forums are here for us to debate respectfully.

I understand you feeling frustrated because you want to gain weight. Maybe we should just say stop body discrimination.

Peace.

Azriel_LittleHawk
03-16-2004, 05:09 AM
well, lets be honest here shall we? you can;t discriminate for color/race, nor can you do it for intelligenece(MR/DD) or lack there of, nor can you do it for sexual orientation...but WAIT!! there are fat people..they can be ridiculed all over the place cause it's OK!!! until the media & Hollywood gets out of the "chris farley " mind set..we are so gonna be screwed with. ie..Fat= Stupid lazy jolly people. lets face it folks, it's the fat folks or the smokers..those are the only ones left. and the smokers are dieing off quicker.
i have fought to loose weight my entire life. up to and including being put on a 1200 calorie diet at the age of 13 and water pills. yes. for many years i have been attempting to get the bariatric surgery still a no go **bneing "poor" sucks monkey butts folks** till finaly, i have gone completely high protein/low carb/sugar free in our household and as of last Dr. visit? i have lost 50 lbs. i ust want to be happy & healthy, i will never be a size 8 nor do i want to be..a size 18 is my goal. i was a womans size 18 when i was in the 6th grade. i want to end up @ about 180 lbs. i would be VERY content at that size. now i ask you why GOOD lord would ANYONE want to be a size 2? or as a freind of mine a size 0? seriously!! she is a tiny lil thing!! she has a harder time finding ADULT clothes than i do!! takes all kinds..and wouldn't it be REALY boring if everyone was a size 10? nope..variety is the spice of life!!
ciao!
Az

MamaFairal
03-16-2004, 06:10 AM
I usually dont like to discuss my weight or anything like that but i had to come in here........i'll probably regret this later ;)

I am 5'9 and weigh 240 lbs......i am what you call thick from the waist down i guess.Some have commented i am perfect from the waist up??? I wear a size 22 pants(love Walmart faded glory) and wear alot of oversized t-shirts that come down over my pants.
I dont beleive i need to force myself into clothes that are too tight or constricting to look hot.

I date ALOT and it seems to be younger men i attract for some reason. They all tell me its the "Mature Curves" they are attracted to and also that am comfortable with my body and not trying to be some "Barbie Doll" who is high maintance.

I love my body and yes there are times when i am frustrated and wish i were smaller.....But then again when i was using drugs(been clean 9 yrs)i was only weighing in at 110lbs and had no chest or form at all.
Since being clean i have gained over 100 lbs..now have a chest i love(* big grin)but also in the course of 8 mos(in 2000)i had two back surgeries that prevented any activities at all for close to a yr while recovering.

FAT?? No i consider myself "HEALTHY" i dont eat junk food~i eat right~eat healthy...walk when my back or the pain allows it.
I dont believe there are "FAT" people........we are just all people!

JMHO!

lassss
03-16-2004, 06:36 AM
OMG soon I am gonna see in the vent/whine column that someone is appalled about being called a FEMALE...where does it end???? So your fat/obese/heavy or whatever ya wanna call it...big deal. The world is cruel, so laff it off and go on with your life. I am Puerto Rican and I hear spic all the time....hey if that is how someone wants to label me...go for it, I could care less. I have the confidence within myself to not let it bother me. I am a size 12. Do I need to lose weight..sure, I'd love to be a size 6 again (pre-baby days) but I happy with WHO I am....and that is most important. Confidence is the key, so stop worrying what other people say, do or think ...jmo

karefree
03-16-2004, 07:01 AM
JenniferCatLady, I won't flame you. I understand. Your weight issue is still a weight issue.

JWWB2000
03-16-2004, 07:47 AM
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. What some of you don't realize is people who are skinny are that way b/c of how they live their lifestyle. I, for one, am no size 2 when I am not pregnant but I do bust my butt at the gym and eat a caloric diet of around 1800 to stay around 155 lbs. If not I would be a lot bigger. But this is what I choose to do. I know not all overweight people do not choose to be this way at all, my mom for one bust her butt working in the yard and basically staying active and is still a large woman.

My point I am trying to make is the majority of the population is suffering with a weight issue whether it is too skinny or overweight. We should not throw stones at a glass house without being on the inside first!!

lassss
03-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by JWWB2000
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. What some of you don't realize is people who are skinny are that way b/c of how they live their lifestyle. I, for one, am no size 2 when I am not pregnant but I do bust my butt at the gym and eat a caloric diet of around 1800 to stay around 155 lbs. If not I would be a lot bigger. But this is what I choose to do. I know not all overweight people do not choose to be this way at all, my mom for one bust her butt working in the yard and basically staying active and is still a large woman.

My point I am trying to make is the majority of the population is suffering with a weight issue whether it is too skinny or overweight. We should not throw stones at a glass house without being on the inside first!!

Honestly I don't think that is the point...it's people's lack of self confidence within themselves that make them think everyone is picking on them or pointing out they are heavy. I'd be the first one to say someone is overweight because that is the first thing I see when I look at someone. I am sorry people can't accept the truth and take it as a personal attack...but I rather say it to your face then behind your back. It doesn't matter if there is a medical problem, physical problem or just lazy...I for one LOVE good food and hate to exercise so I gain weight easily..but I can ACCEPT who I am and I don't whine if someone thinks I am heavy, that is their opinion and I can respect that. This is just a comment and not directed and any one person

karefree
03-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Sorry but I think someone having their job taken away because of their weight is a personal attack. Having ones financial security threatened not because of the way they do their job in a profession that has nothing to do with someones size is not the same thing as having someone snicker and make comments that are hurtful whether they are meant to be or not. The comments and the stares and the rude, insensitive remarks can be hurtful but they can be written off by considering the source. Having your livlihood threatened is much, much different.

Vertigo
03-16-2004, 11:05 AM
I so agree, I will never be mistaken for a size 6. I am tired of people equating thinness with healthiness. I was out with a group of friends, well, one was merely a friend of a friend, ok, she had the face of a llama,smoked like crazy, but was about a size 8, and you know what, she had lots of men checking her butt out. Maybe that is just men. And also, pointing out the obvious is pretty damn stupid of someone. Those of us with freckles, wrinkles, red hair, overweight, we pretty much know it.

OX_Love_OX
03-16-2004, 11:34 AM
You are so right about how people who look fat are treated. I had been fat for 10 years. I have lost 70 pounds over 9 months...I don't know what happened but something clicked and It was my time to do it...it has been hard. Although I never really noticed being treated strangely when I was heavier...I know I was. At this weight I get a lot of attention...people in stores are so nice and say please and thankyou...and can't do enough for me. People smile now...before I never noticed anyone ever having direct eye contact with me. Other situations happen too...If I drop something, someone else always stops to attempt to pick it up...etc...I get offered to cut in line...offered a parking space first. My MIL has been nice to me (that is a miracle) My dentist even gave me a free white filling when I was having 2 others replaced and mentioned I didn't like the silver look of a perfectly healthy 3rd. Lots of situations like that. Very kind things...but are they? No one ever did them before...the only thing that has changed is my weight.

Punishing fat people is not going to make them lose weight. I also agree all fat people do not sit around gorging all day and sit on the couch. Every "BODY" is different. Some fat people do the same as a thin person. My SIL has a job, goes to school and has 3 children of her own and 2 others in her custody. She exercises, eats minimally and she is on the go non-stop, always in motion and is 255 pounds. She is beautiful and amazing.

BigLyd1
03-16-2004, 12:56 PM
This is so encouraging to read. I hate that I've gained 20 pounds within the past year. Size 12's are getting tighter and tighter and I am so desperate that I'm considering taking Meridia. But I don't know. I wish I could accept myself. Of course, I eat a lot of sugar so I have to take responsibility there. But I also exercise four to five hours a week, so at least I feel healthy in that regard.

Anyhow, got to stop rambling now.

Damnifiknw
03-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY
I'm not flaming anyone here, but I know that I am going to get flamed for this but....

This sounds like reversed discrimmination to me. I have a weight problem,but a lot of you will disagree with me. It's a struggle for me to get my weight over 110 pounds. I would LOVE to gain about 30 or 35 pounds.

Thank You! I was going to say the same thing yesterday on what you quoted,but chose not to. Didn't want to get anyone's bloomers in a knot.

I have the same problem as you with weight gain. I weigh between 90 -95 lbs. I'd love to get up to 110, but it's hell. I can eat whatever I want and not gain an ounce. In the past 6 months I have gained a lil over a half a pound. Maybe 10 yrs i'll reach my goal if I continu on this roll. lol

Damnifiknw
03-16-2004, 05:37 PM
One more thing..

I'd be the first one to say someone is overweight because that is the first thing I see when I look at someone.

Why would you tell someone they are overweight, when you are overweight yourself? Don't you think they might already have a clue without you pointing it out? :confused: :confused:

Your comment sounds like the one's I hear about my weight. (not from thin people.) People say, "Did you know you are thin." I say, "Nah, really. I'm glad you told me cause I would have never figured it out." :rolleyes:

AngelGrim
03-16-2004, 05:40 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be the first one to say someone is overweight because that is the first thing I see when I look at someone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I try not to notice someones looks first, I try to see past the weight or scars or whatever.

karefree
03-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Damnifiknw, I got a good hoot from your post. I used to swear I would ask the next doctor who told me I was overweight for his parents phone number so I could call and tell them how sorry I was that they put their son through all those years of medical school just so he would know enough to tell me something I had been aware of pretty much all of my life. Well, if that isn't a run-on sentence. Anyway, I got a good chuckle from you post.

Damnifiknw
03-16-2004, 08:19 PM
LOL I gotta remember that one.

When someone asks/tells you something stupid. It's hard not to come back with a dumb reply. The whole time you are shaking your head and thinking, "What an idiot" lol

CowNcalves
03-16-2004, 09:35 PM
There are alot of issues on weight and not on how healthy ppl are. I would never say anything about someone being overweight, I have my own issues, I'm 50 lbs underweight and this is after having 2 kids and gaining 70+ lbs with each kid. Am I'm I lucky..NO. I have been critisized, made fun of at work and have had all type of jokes made about my weight. Do ppl think this is ok because I am underweight... YES they do. Dr.s automatically check me for eating disorders, ppl will watch me in restraunts to see if I eat and then if I run to the bathroom to get rid of it and I am always cold.
I don't think ppl realize that ppl that are underweight are in the same boat as those overweight.. We have the same goal.. to be at the right weight we feel confortable with.
Now, can someone give me 10 lbs... I really need a Butt;)

karefree
03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
CowNcalves, wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy? I would be one of the first in the donation line.

pjhartman
03-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by stickers
I lost all my weight after my daughter's birth and within 23 days i gained 92lbs. This was all the lovely norplant's doing (said by all my drs.)

Not quite all Norplant's fault. Calores don't manifest themselves out of thin air.

Now, on average, it takes 3500 calories to make 1 lb. of weight gain. It's not exact, but it is an average. That's 3500 calories above and beyond what your body is using to heat itself, pump blood and air, move itself, etc.

Taking the numbers you gave; 3500 calories per pound, gaining 92 pounds in 23 days, means that ON AVERAGE you were ingesting 14,000 calories per day more than your body was burning.

14,000 excess calories per day.

Now, I cannot personally fathom how someone can ingest an excess of calories that great in number, for three weeks straight, and not notice what's going on. Norplant or no Norplant.

Not trying to be mean here, but it's clearly not ALL the fault of the drug.

Bohemut
03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by lassss
Honestly I don't think that is the point...it's people's lack of self confidence within themselves that make them think everyone is picking on them or pointing out they are heavy.

Being quite overweight, and having been most of my life, I cannot agree with this. Any time someone is singled out and treated different/poorly/meanly because of some aspect of their appearance it is personal, and it hurts. Self confidence is great but only goes so far.

It is personal when you're turned down for a job that you are extremely qualified for, just because you're overweight. It is personal when you're told by a saleswoman that they have nothing in their store for you because you're too fat to be one of their customers. It is personal when someone rams you with a shopping cart and says "Get out of my way you fat cow. You shouldn't be out here in public where other people have to look at you. You're disgusting." It is personal when a child asks their mom "Why is that lady in a wheelchair?" and the mom answers "Because she's fat and lazy, so she can't walk anymore." All these, any many more, have happened to me. Isolated incidents could maybe be dismissed, but how can one hold up under this sheer onslaught of negativity without some amount of hurt? Self confidence or not, if someone purposely goes out of their way to hurt you, most times it will. Those who say it doesn't, or shouldn't, must not have been subjected to the same level of prejudice I, and many other overweight people, have been.

My situation is that I'm morbidly obese, in a wheelchair (not because I'm fat), with psoriasis (ucky, yucky scaly skin on my scalp and forearms) and am losing my hair (due to the psoriasis). Because of my medical condition/pain levels I am unable to exercise, so no I'm not real healthy. But does that make me any less of a human being deserving of the love and respect of my fellow human beings? I think not. But apparently many people think otherwise. And weight prejudice (for both over- and underweight) is still legal and accepted. I think that's sad. Prejudice of any kind is abominable.

freeby4me
03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pjhartman
Not quite all Norplant's fault. Calores don't manifest themselves out of thin air.

Now, on average, it takes 3500 calories to make 1 lb. of weight gain. It's not exact, but it is an average. That's 3500 calories above and beyond what your body is using to heat itself, pump blood and air, move itself, etc.

Taking the numbers you gave; 3500 calories per pound, gaining 92 pounds in 23 days, means that ON AVERAGE you were ingesting 14,000 calories per day more than your body was burning.

14,000 excess calories per day.

Now, I cannot personally fathom how someone can ingest an excess of calories that great in number, for three weeks straight, and not notice what's going on. Norplant or no Norplant.

Not trying to be mean here, but it's clearly not ALL the fault of the drug.

Obviously you've never had to be on any kind of birth control then. It CLEARLY states in all the pamphlets that weight gain is a Side effect. For me, The AVERAGE weight gain is 10 pounds every six months. I've been on it for 3 years. Ive gained weight and I eat the exact same way i did 2 years ago. Im not shoving 3500 more calories in my face now than i was before. Birth control has a different affect on people than when you're not on BC.

PrncsNYC
03-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I always thought birth control and anti-depressants caused weight gain bc it caused your appetite to increase...

my bf was on remeron and all he did was eat non stop. one of the side effects was weight gain but I mean he was eating literally several times an hour...so that was what made us think the weight gane was caused by the pill making him eat more.

ironcally, he just asked me if he's fat. he must be psychic

??? I will ask my doc about that...

Njean31
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
i am a nurse and here to tell you that, YES birth control makes most women gain weight, it is a proven fact. the lady above on the norplant could have very well gained every lb she stated simply by being on the birth control. same with testosterone, if man or woman started injecting it, you would see MASSIVE weight gain in most people, as well as with PREDNISONE. THERE ARE MANY DRUGS WITH THIS SIDE EFFECT!

stickers
03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Thank you.

It's not the first time people said norplant couldn't have done it to me.

I'm glad a professional stepped in.

I just with birth control worked right for everyone.

Njean31
03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
your welcome:)

Whitequeen39
03-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I can personally attest to prednisone and weight gain...I have learned how to avoid the gain but to lose weight I have to go off the prednisone for a while and the weight just falls off fast. I have always purposely avoided all hormonal birth control for that reason. It's hard enough dealing with the prednisone though I do manage to stay at a size 8-10 before prednisone I was more like a 3..hard to adjust but it's the only thing that helps my condition.

Whitequeen39
03-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Bohemut
Being quite overweight, and having been most of my life, I cannot agree with this. Any time someone is singled out and treated different/poorly/meanly because of some aspect of their appearance it is personal, and it hurts. Self confidence is great but only goes so far.

It is personal when you're turned down for a job that you are extremely qualified for, just because you're overweight. It is personal when you're told by a saleswoman that they have nothing in their store for you because you're too fat to be one of their customers. It is personal when someone rams you with a shopping cart and says "Get out of my way you fat cow. You shouldn't be out here in public where other people have to look at you. You're disgusting." It is personal when a child asks their mom "Why is that lady in a wheelchair?" and the mom answers "Because she's fat and lazy, so she can't walk anymore." All these, any many more, have happened to me. Isolated incidents could maybe be dismissed, but how can one hold up under this sheer onslaught of negativity without some amount of hurt? Self confidence or not, if someone purposely goes out of their way to hurt you, most times it will. Those who say it doesn't, or shouldn't, must not have been subjected to the same level of prejudice I, and many other overweight people, have been.

My situation is that I'm morbidly obese, in a wheelchair (not because I'm fat), with psoriasis (ucky, yucky scaly skin on my scalp and forearms) and am losing my hair (due to the psoriasis). Because of my medical condition/pain levels I am unable to exercise, so no I'm not real healthy. But does that make me any less of a human being deserving of the love and respect of my fellow human beings? I think not. But apparently many people think otherwise. And weight prejudice (for both over- and underweight) is still legal and accepted. I think that's sad. Prejudice of any kind is abominable.

It never ceases to amaze me the rudeness and sheer cruelty that some people will inflict on others. I am so sorry that you have endured such treatment Bohemut. Anyone who treats another in such a manner should hang their head in shame. Hugs going out your way...

pjhartman
03-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Njean31
i am a nurse and here to tell you that, YES birth control makes most women gain weight, it is a proven fact. the lady above on the norplant could have very well gained every lb she stated simply by being on the birth control. same with testosterone, if man or woman started injecting it, you would see MASSIVE weight gain in most people, as well as with PREDNISONE. THERE ARE MANY DRUGS WITH THIS SIDE EFFECT!

Side effects, yes. But taking a drug does not by itself put pounds on your frame. If your metabolism slows, then you'll gain weight if you don't decrease your intake accordingly. Some drugs have the effect of adding "water weight" (simplified) that comes off easily once the drug is removed from the picture. I'll not argue with you on any of that.

However, it's basic scientific law that states that matter or energy can neither be created nor destroyed. In order for me to gain weight, my body must consume more calories than it expends. Conversely, to lose weight, I have to use more calories than I consume. Unless Norplant by itself contains 332,500 calories, then there's something else going on.

pjhartman
03-18-2004, 06:28 AM
One more point. Though it's not directly related to Norplant per se, but rather to oral contraceptives.

Reference article at this site:

http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/News+Releases/april222003researchfindsno.htm

In summation: "Research finds no evidence that oral contraceptives cause weight gain"

lassss
03-18-2004, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Damnifiknw
[B]One more thing..

Why would you tell someone they are overweight, when you are overweight yourself? Don't you think they might already have a clue without you pointing it out? :confused: :confused:

Because I always say it like it is..if someone asks if they look fat am I suppose to say "noooo" and lie to them? It's not like I go up to people on the street and say wow are you fat. As for the comment about "that is the first thing I see" was taken outta context. When in a crowd of people, you seem notice someone who is bigger in size first. It's obvious, that's a fact. I have no qualms about calling the kettle black...I'm a realist....if the birth control is making you gain weight, try another method! I can't stand when people make excuses to justify their weight gain...I'm honest..I LOVE good food and hate to exercise so yep I am lazy but atleast I admit it. BTW TrimSpa works great!! It is now Ephredra free..

freeby4me
03-18-2004, 06:55 AM
All the scientific proof doesnt mean squat to me because Im on BC and its making me gain weight. I understand what you mean lasss and truly im not picking on you. Can someone explain why eating more healthy now and exersizing now compared to 2 years ago and Im gaining more weight than i ever have in my life is fair? Im 19 with a 3 year old son, The reason i chose the depo shot is because besides getting "fixed" its the most trusted form of BC. Its completely messed up my metabolism and besides getting off the shot (which im refusing to do unless its literally gonna kill me) Im probably gonna stay this way. Sad, but true.
:(

lassss
03-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by freeby4me
All the scientific proof doesnt mean squat to me because Im on BC and its making me gain weight. I understand what you mean lasss and truly im not picking on you. Can someone explain why eating more healthy now and exersizing now compared to 2 years ago and Im gaining more weight than i ever have in my life is fair? Im 19 with a 3 year old son, The reason i chose the depo shot is because besides getting "fixed" its the most trusted form of BC. Its completely messed up my metabolism and besides getting off the shot (which im refusing to do unless its literally gonna kill me) Im probably gonna stay this way. Sad, but true.
:(

I wanted to get my tubes tied but my doc said noooooo ya might change your mind (I KNOW I don't want anymore) so we decided to get my tubes banded..it is reversible and I don't worry about it anymore and there are no side effects.

freeby4me
03-18-2004, 07:14 AM
I would love to have something like that done but at 19 they refuse to do anything of the sorts. If i could i'd just have my uterus removed and not worry about it ever again! :D

lassss
03-18-2004, 07:32 AM
I would love to have something like that done but at 19 they refuse to do anything of the sorts. If i could i'd just have my uterus removed and not worry about it ever again! :D

LOL I hear ya, then of course you'd prolly have other problems like hormone replacement... Maybe you can find an obgyn who will perform the procedure...I was 30 tho and the doc didn't really want to do it..I was too *young*. I think they should respect our decision and perform the requested procedure

MamaFairal
03-18-2004, 07:58 AM

You think exactly like my DD :)
She would love to do the same thing.......but at her age Drs wont touch it cuz "you might change your mind"

ITA w/ freeby4me

PrncsNYC
03-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I will never take any oral contraceptives. I've never used them before, only condoms and I've never had a problem. It's just not worth it to put something inside my body. Hell, I'd rather abstane all together lol

belle5691
03-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Wow....what an amazing thread. I am on a public computer, or I would post a picture of me (I only have it in an email)--to show you what people at my job deem as too hideous to work. There seem to be so many issues about fat...but why is the person in my particular case allowed to try to get me fired, because I am fat and dont look the "part"...I am 5 3 and 260 lbs. However, I am not able or allowed to publicly condemn his gay lifestyle??? Please dont take that wrong, I dont condemn gay lifestyle, I believe that is everyone's personal business. But where has tolerance gone? What about---to each his own? If it truly personally does not affect you, then why are people concerned if you are fat or not? And as for people saying, "I have to look at it." No, you don't....Turn your head, and remember there is probably something you are doing that people don't like either, whether it be, the bald head, the color of your skin, whatever.....

DivineMsDi
03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Because fat phobia is the last phobia everyone is allowed to have! They think all fat people are weak, lazy, smelly and so on. Everyone can pick on the fat person because our "weakness" shows on the outside. (sarcasm).

I would love to see successful overweight people stand up and show that we are not our weight. We are people who do jobs every day. We are mothers who take care of our families. We are business women who make major decisions. We need more positive FAT (yeah, I said it) role models.

I understand large women who lose weight for their health. But seeing women like Oprah fat yet SUCCESSFUL was amazing. I would also like to see more bigger WHITE women. Who do we have that is a success and is still heavy? Roseann lost it...so did Delta, and many others.

We need more positive WOMEN role models. Fat and thin!

Women, stop hating each other, and start supporting each other. We are too darn competitive as women for some stupid reason. We allow our petty bickering to get in the way of achieving our goals.

Until we stop believing we all have to be a size 2 or have a size 44 dd chest to become the best we can be, we are doomed as a gender.

Azriel_LittleHawk
03-19-2004, 12:42 PM
1. are YOu male or Female..
2. scientific my tuckus!! science cannot determine every variable in any 1 drug let alone alot of them, EVERY person is different..period.
3. i am sorry for the others who are having trouble with this , 1 lady with her job, and the other with a drug that was supposed to help but n reality has set her up for some serious health problems down the line.
4. are or have you EVER been overweight..and no i am NOt talking 10 or 20 or even 50 lbs!! i am talking what is termed "MORBIDLY OBESE" and beyond?
cause.. i am getting the feeling that ..you .. have absolutely no personal experience in this matter . and frankly.. while your posts ..were polite to a certain extent..i am quite offended by the attitude i got from them. and not only for me but for the rest of us who are beating our heads against a wall for YEARS and even DECADES in some cases to lose weight.
frankly..i would love to say more to you, but you are not worth me getting booted off this board for calling it as i see it.
suffice to say.. i will henceforth pretty much completely ignore any post you make.
have a nice day..

by the way for EVERYONE else? i am starting an OVERWEIGHT AND BEAUTIFUL** BBW/BHM thread!! thread in the OT chat area url :

http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=387361

see how BEAUTIFUL WE ARE!!
*HUGS* to all!
Ciao!
Az

pjhartman
03-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Azriel_LittleHawk
scientific my tuckus!! science cannot determine every variable in any 1 drug let alone alot of them, EVERY person is different..period.

While every person is different, no one can escape or twist the laws of physics. Matter/energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Accordingly, weight gain is caused in the end by one simple irrefutable fact -- a body takes in more energy than it expends. Weight loss happens when a body uses more energy than it takes in. Whether or not you believe it doesn't make it any less of a fact.

I'm sure your posturing and taking affront will win you many friends, though, so feel free to carry on.

karefree
03-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Every BODY is different. My sister who eats like a bird would be considered slightly overweight but her husband who ate like a lumberjack most of his life is rail thin. She eats egg whites and very little meat. No cheese or high cholesterol treats for her and yet she has to take medicine to keep hers in bounds. Her husband who eats eggs fried in butter and sausage and bacon to his hearts content has no problem at all with cholesterol. Every BODY is different. Metabolism and what our diet history has done to it do play a part as far as the numbers go as does heredity.

AngelGrim
03-19-2004, 05:22 PM
that is how it is in our house, I am dieting and not losing it fast enough, my husband is skinny as can be and can eat like a starved person 24/7 and not gain an ounce, not everyone is alike.

joesbaby
03-19-2004, 07:24 PM
belle..i still think you need to sue them. size dont make you beautiful..you make you beautiful. tell em to get over your size..and rember...

thoese diamonds are...soooo...pretttttyyyyy..........NOT!!!

HUGS

Jaxx
03-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224

God bless Oprah for keeping her battles with weight out there so that every day people can relate!

I just love Oprah,she's a terrific person

Azriel_LittleHawk
03-19-2004, 09:09 PM
:rolleyes: still didn't answer my questions..so i will accept that a big NO!to them.

gotta love the book-learned folks, who've no clue of real life..

* and miss Azriel skips outa the thread posturing the whole way*

**guess what body parts i'm "posturing" with!!**

*ROTFL*

Ciao !
Az

Azriel_LittleHawk
03-19-2004, 09:28 PM
the "Scientific facts.." just don't cover it. there are to many anomalies that can't be explained.

Njean31
03-20-2004, 08:43 AM
NO, weight is not JUST the result of calories in/out, but it seems as though this person is hell bent on believing that so instead of me getting out MY SOURCES, i will just go away.

freeby4me
03-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Please Njean31, Feel free to show us your sources. I believe the majority feel as you do not as this other person. Obviously this OP is not female, Nor has ever gained weight. Skinny people look at things differently.
According to some its only scientific and thats why fat people cant lose wieght. They must be lazy or not trying hard enough. That makes them feel better believing that, I say more power to them. They'll feel different when they gain weight and find out that all the garbage they spewed before isnt going to help them now. Then they'll know what its like. Until then they're just full of their "scientific knowledge" which'll make them right :rolleyes:

CowNcalves
03-20-2004, 12:37 PM
I have to disagree with the in/out take and energy use being a main factor. I do think its true for some ppl but not everyone. If its true for everyone then I should weigh 1000 lbs by now. I don't exercise (cringe at that word), eat all I want and can't gain a pound. There are many reasons why you gain or lose weight, everyone is differant, If are bodies all worked the same and we were all the same size, what a boring life we would have.

Hmmm, I must be twisting or escaping the laws of physics:rolleyes:

Willow
03-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Everbody has a different body chemistry. Some people have a very high metabolic rate and others have a very low rate. If these "scientific" facts were true then why is it that one person can eat very large portions of food and never gain an ounce of weight but someone else could eat two cookies and gain 10 pounds. Well that's an exaggeration but I'm trying to make a point. lol I've been heavy all my life but I recently lost 16 pounds since I've been diagnosed with a medical issue. So it wasn't because my body was taking in more energy than it expended. That's bull$hit!!!!!!!!

freeby4me
03-21-2004, 12:32 PM
I have to say that when I was skinny before, I never understood why someone could be over-weight. To me, It was just eating more than they needed to or not exersizing enough. Part of me felt like there had to be more than that because if it was so easy to lose weight, Nobody would be fat. Nobody likes to be called names and made fun of. Now Im overweight. Way overweight. Its not just "eating too much" or "not exersizing enough" Thats Bull. If i could go back in time I would slap myself silly for not looking at the whole picture. Seeings how I was one of those people who thought "being fat was that persons la***ess" or something of the sort I feel like I have the right to stand here and say ITS NOT TRUE! I've been on both sides and if it was so easy to lose weight I'd be back in my size 2 jeans. Instead Im not, and its not because "I put too much food in my mouth, or didnt run enough miles" Its because of reasons im not sure of yet. I need to figure out exactly what my body needs, Not what worked for So and So. Im done for now, im sure i'll have more to say later though :)

VALENA-)45
03-21-2004, 01:11 PM
OK, I HAVE READ WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAD TO SAY, NOW HERE IS MY TAKE ON BEING OVERWEIGHT. I AM 5'5 1/2, I WEIGH 225 LBS., I AM OVERWEIGHT, BUT I FEEL THAT AS LONG AS I CAN FIT INTO MY CLOTHES COMFORTABLY, AND THEY ARE NOT TIGHT, (DON'T LIKE TIGHT CLOTHES, I AM HAPPY WITH MYSELF. I HAVE BEEN ALL SIZES, 5, 7, 10, 12(MY FAVORITE), 14, 18, 20. NOW I AM A SIZE 20, IN SOME CLOTHES. I HAVE BEEN SICK, WHERE I HAVE LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT, AND I HAVE BEEN LAZY, WHERE I HAVE GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT. NOW, NO MATTER WHAT THE WEIGHT, I AM HAPPY WITH MYSELF, AND SO IS MY SWEETIE. I AM A MEDIUM-BONED BLACK WOMAN, WHOSE WEIGHT GOES UP AND DOWN, FOR REASONS ONLY MY BODY KNOWS. BUT, HEY I WILL ALWAYS BE ME.

Jaxx
03-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Very well said VALENA-)45 :)

as long as you are happy with yourself that's all that matters