PDA

View Full Version : Any good receipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage

sweetverna
03-13-2004, 05:04 PM
I like to make Corned Beef and Cabbage for ST.Patricks Day its on sale at Cala/Ralphs this week for 97 cent a pound. Cheaper then going out and good for leftovers and hash. Does anyone have any basic easy good ideas for cooking it?

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I like it in the crock pot.put the corned beef WITH the juice in the pot cover with potatoes and cabbage,cook until cabbage is tender.Most corned beef has a spice pouch included.

*now I want corned beef and cabbage lol

sweetverna
03-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks thats sound good and easy about how many hours on high would it take. The cabbage doesn't take long to cook does it?

sivohdarba
03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I was just asking about the same thing yesterday! I am going to make mine in the crock pot too. Someone told me to wait to add the cabbage so it doesn't get squishy and over cooked. I plan on starting mine with the corned beef and potatoes around 8 am on low and adding the cabbage at about 2 pm :D

sweetverna
03-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas crockpot sounds a good way to cook it. I got one today at Cala/Ralphs for 97cents an pound on sale untile Tuesday little over 4 pounds.

sweetverna
03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Bump for the new year. This year Corned Beef is $1.99 pound.

CHERNL
03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
I always boil mine on the stove--I tried the crock pot and the texture was weird. I put the juice, meat, and the spice pack in a big pan, cover it all with water, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 3 hrs before adding potatoes, etc.

MamaFairal
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I always boil mine on the stove--I tried the crock pot and the texture was weird. I put the juice, meat, and the spice pack in a big pan, cover it all with water, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 3 hrs before adding potatoes, etc.

I tried mine in a crockpot once and it cooked all day slowly and when we ate it it was tough as nails :(

I prefer to boil mine slow on the stovetop now also!!

BigLyd1
03-15-2005, 04:51 PM
I cook mine for 9 or 10 hours in the crockpot on low. The last half hour I add the cabbage and turn it on high.

sweetverna
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
My slow cooker for dummies cookbook said to cook on low fo 6 to 8 hours and to add the cabbage and potaoes and everything all at one time. Is it better to add the cabbage the last hour? My corned beef is only 2 and half pounds.

Tasha405
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
You know what.... I just bought a corned beef brisket the other day at the store and was going to come here (to BBS) and ask how to cook it. LOL

Thanks yall! :D

Tasha405
03-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Oh I forgot to ask something. :o

Mine came with a small packet of seasonings.... do I use all of this in it? Do I use any other seasonings? TIA! :)

MamaFairal
03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh I forgot to ask something. :o

Mine came with a small packet of seasonings.... do I use all of this in it? Do I use any other seasonings? TIA! :)

YES add all the seasoning packet when cooking...hth

BigLyd1
03-16-2005, 10:33 AM
My slow cooker for dummies cookbook said to cook on low fo 6 to 8 hours and to add the cabbage and potaoes and everything all at one time. Is it better to add the cabbage the last hour? My corned beef is only 2 and half pounds.

For that size, I think 6 to 8 hours on low is enough. I had mentioned that I normally cook mine for 9 to 10 hours but that's usually for one that's 3 to 4 pounds.

Eyore
03-16-2005, 11:35 AM
There is usually directions on the package and I just follow them for cooking it.
One year I did it in the oven thinking my hubby might eat it if I cooked it differently. It came out ok from the oven but I think I like it boiled better.
I'll be eating corned beef and cabbage and hubby will be eating ham and cabbage.