PDA

View Full Version : *Warning About Paypal*

sivohdarba
03-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I just got this letter from them and I am not happy. Did anyone else get it too, or just the one's who information was hacked? :(

Dear XXXXXXX,

As part of PayPal's proactive efforts to protect our customers, we are notifying you of important information that we received suggesting that your PayPal account may be a target for deceptive emails, otherwise known as "spoofing" or "phishing". These emails are designed to appear as if they were sent from a trusted online company that you have done business with, such as PayPal.

PayPal has learned that third parties may have obtained limited transaction information from the PayPal site about one or more of your online purchases after obtaining passwords of several PayPal merchants. The information includes general transaction information such as your first and last name, mailing address, email address, and transaction details. These parties may seek to use this information to target you with a deceptive email appearing to come from PayPal or online merchants with whom you have done business.

It is important to note that your personal or financial information, including your PayPal password, and Social Security, driver's license, credit card, and bank account numbers are not at risk. In order to protect your account, this information is always hidden and encrypted, and cannot be accessed by any merchant or third party.

What You Can Do To Protect Yourself

Never provide personal or financial information in response to an email request: PayPal will not ask you to supply your password, bank account number, or any other financial information in an email.

Look out for suspicious-looking emails: If you find an email that you suspect may be fraudulent, forward it immediately to spoof@paypal.com and delete it.

Always open a new web browser window (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) to log into PayPal: In the new web browser window, type in the following: https://www.paypal.com/. We suggest you regularly check your PayPal account for any unusual activity.

Do not download any attachments: PayPal will never send you an email attachment, or ask you to download anything in order to use our service or that of any partners.

As you may already know, spoof (deceptive email) is becoming an increasingly common problem impacting large online companies and their customers. PayPal takes spoof very seriously. Remember that your account can be compromised if you share your PayPal password outside the PayPal site.

If you have any questions, or believe you may have already given out your personal information, please call PayPal Customer Service at 1-866-648-5872 or email us at customerservice@paypal.com.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Fraud Management Team

sea-shell
03-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Its a scam - don't give them any info.

sivohdarba
03-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by sea-shell
Its a scam - don't give them any info.

They weren't asking for any information, more like telling me that some of my paypal information had been stolen off their serves and to not respond to any emails from companies that I have done business with using my paypal account.
I went to the paypal site and the information they have there is the same as the letter I recieved. I am seriously considering closing the account!
Thanks for the reply sea-shell :)

Taegus
03-12-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think that is what they meant. It has to do with people figuring out how to disguise an e-mail and send it to you so that it LOOKS like it is from Pay-Pal and request personal info. Pay-Pal is warning you about these people, the "spoofers", so that you won't be taken in by them and give them info. Pay-pal won't ever request that info from you in an e-mail and they are just trying to warn you about the "spoofers". I think your information that is with them is safe, or the "spoofers" wouldn't be contacting you to try to get the information.

JMHO

irrelevant0
03-13-2004, 04:02 PM
this is not real. every time i log into my account, there is a different message giving tips or whatever about paypal. just the other day i had one say that paypal will never address you as dear xxx, they will always use the name given on your account.

sivohdarba
03-13-2004, 06:31 PM
irrelevant0: this is not real. every time i log into my account, there is a different message giving tips or whatever about paypal. just the other day i had one say that paypal will never address you as dear xxx, they will always use the name given on your account.

LOL! I put the xxx's on there where my name was silly! :)

irrelevant0
03-13-2004, 07:49 PM
i am not silly, i know what you meant. i was just using xxx as an example instead of typing out a full name. :rolleyes: