PDA

View Full Version : Computer help, PLEASE! Got an email from support@yahoo.com asking me to open a file

karefree
03-04-2004, 09:44 AM
because they supposedly have gotten complaints saying I was sending out spam from my email address. I typed in the address at the top of the page for search and some threads came up that make me suspect it could be some kind of virus. I may be just being paranoid though. I can't find a support address for yahoo and don't know how to find out if this email is legitimate or not. One of the threads that the search pulled up was for a worm or virus received from that same (deleted email address) address.

Please help. What should I do? It says that if I don't open the file and follow the instructions I could have my email account disabled but unless I know for sure that it is not a virus I am afraid to. I would rather have that one email address disabled (though it would be a PAIN) than have the whole computer ruined.

I could really use some advice quickly.

TIA

Please don't amyone click onto the above link as I don't know where it will take you!! I will try to delete it now as I don't want to cause problems with anyone else's computer if it is infected in some way.

Technologist
03-04-2004, 09:49 AM
That is a spoofed email (IT ACTUALLY Contains the virus)...

Delete it (without opening)!

karefree
03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank you so much for the quick response. I will delete it now.

ilikefree
03-04-2004, 10:10 AM
My cousin has a yahoo e-mail account and I've been getting these off-the-wall messages from her. She didn't send any of them. The first one I got had "HELP" as the subject line. Stupid me clicked on the attachment. I don't know what it did, but I did get a message returned to me since then (in my iwon.com e-mail account) saying that a message was undeliverable. It wasn't my main e-mail account so I opened it to see who I had e-mailed (I thought maybe I forgot that I'd e-mailed someone). It turned out to be someone in my cousin's address book who I don't even have an e-mail addy for!

FrannieJ74
03-04-2004, 10:22 AM
I just want to say thanks as I have a friend who emailed me yesterday saying she got this same email and when she tried to open it kept telling her there was a virus and wouldn't let her. I'll email her NOW!!! Thanks!!!! From both of us :)

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-04-2004, 10:42 AM
I got three of these yesterday says from my server, they were from support@my server here...ok,they were in my virus folder and my server notified me that someone sent a virus,it also asked to see attachment...I deleted them without opening.The email also stated what yours did,that complaints were coming in because my email was sending spam.

schsa
03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
If you don't know the sender or it has an attachment, delete it. There are too many virus's around to just open any e-mail that comes your way. Our IT people are running virus scans twice a day right now.