PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Gripe! My ankles and feet have swelled! HELP!!!!

ChristiNate
03-03-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm at work and my ankles and feet have swollen beyond recognition!

I have propped my feet up, but what else can I do?

TIA!!!!!

magicwoman19
03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Drink plenty of water and when you get home lay down and take it easy. I hope they unswell soon :)

Sha
03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Hon, call your doctor and tell them that you have excess swelling. I am not trying to scare you, but when I was preggo, I had the same probs. I got worse and called the doctor and they had me come in. I had preeclampsia and here is a link to tell you what to watch for. I just wanted to warn you so you would be aware of this since no one had told me and when I found out my blood pressure was 169/128 and my eye sight was so blurry I could not see. Good luck hon and take care of yourself and that angel.

Toxemia - preeclamsia (http://www.alexian.org/progserv/babies/secondtri/toxemia.html)

freeplease
03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
And lay off the salty foods. Be sure and let your doctor know about this. It's probably nothing, but it IS you and your baby we're concerned with. And tell hubby to rub your feet. It will get the blood circulating, plus it feels sooooo good. ;)

Quaker_Parrots
03-03-2004, 04:24 PM
lay off the salt. elevate yout feet, plenty of water. No Pop (coke, soda, or whatever you call it) and call your dr. Water retention is one of the first signs of pre-eclampsia(sp) which is not a good thing.(not trying to scare you, just want you to be safe)

to test for water retention, press in good on your shin with the tip of your finger, if it stays white for quite a few seconds, you are retaining a lot of water, if it turns color back quick, you aren't (or at least that is what my OBGYN told me when I was preggers.

ezmoney163
03-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Chrisi call your doctor now!!! I had this with my kids and I know how painful it is to walk. Please tell me what is going on hon!!! Love ya!!

ChristiNate
03-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I have a cush desk job, so I am not on my feet much.

The thing is, I already kept my feet propped up (because I don't ever want spider veins)

I called the doc, and the nurse told me to:

Drink plenty of fluids - ok, I do plenty of that

Prop my feet up - been doing that for about 4 years

and check my blood pressure - Did, it's 119/70

Guess there's nothing else I can do
:rolleyes:

cch
03-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Sha
Hon, call your doctor and tell them that you have excess swelling. I am not trying to scare you, but when I was preggo, I had the same probs. I got worse and called the doctor and they had me come in. I had preeclampsia and here is a link to tell you what to watch for. I just wanted to warn you so you would be aware of this since no one had told me and when I found out my blood pressure was 169/128 and my eye sight was so blurry I could not see. Good luck hon and take care of yourself and that angel.

Toxemia - preeclamsia (http://www.alexian.org/progserv/babies/secondtri/toxemia.html)

PLEASE be careful! I had this with my last pregnancy and they had to take the baby early. He was only 5 pounds 7 ounces and SOOO tiny (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ccswch/detail?.dir=/3736&.dnm=d312.jpg)!

This was the link saved in my favorites. (http://content.health.msn.com/hw/being_pregnant/hw2837.asp)

ChristiNate
03-04-2004, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cch
[B]PLEASE be careful! I had this with my last pregnancy and they had to take the baby early. He was only 5 pounds 7 ounces and SOOO tiny (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ccswch/detail?.dir=/3736&.dnm=d312.jpg)!QUOTE]

Oh my gosh! What precious pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

sharinbo
03-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to mention...my OB told me that when she said "prop up my feet" she meant up over the level of my heart, not just on a footstool. Like lie down on the sofa and put your feet up on the arm of it. Between doing that and chug-a-lugging the water (dehydration can bring on pre-term labor, too!), there's not alot to be done unless your BP skyrockets or something. Hang in there!

Tasha405
03-04-2004, 10:27 AM
My doctor also told me to prop mine up above the level of my heart when I was pregnant.

I started swelling like that when I was pregnant with my 2nd baby and when I went into labor my blood pressure went sky high, I had terrible headaches/migraines and they had to keep me 2 extra days and it still never come down to normal. They had to put me on BP meds for 6 weeks. I'm telling ya, it sucked. I didn't want anyone to talk to me, I didn't want the lights or TV on because my heart felt like it was going to explode (when I was in the hospital & a week or so after I came home). When do you go back and see your doctor again? Maybe you can talk to him/her when you go, instead of the nurse. (not saying that she doesn't know anything but your doctor may have different advice for ya) {{{Hugs}}} I hope it gets better. :)