PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports: 'Faux' food

heartlvrs
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Consumer Reports: 'Faux' food

Over the years, Consumer Reports' Erin Gudeux has come across quite a few items that aren't all they seem.

Take this box of Hungry Jack Blueberry Pancake and Waffle Mix. Like a lot of mixes that call themselves "blueberry", it's certainly got blue bits, but they're not very berry.

The bits are actually dextrose, partially-hydrogenated oil, cellulose gum and dye -- none of which grow on a blueberry bush.

"Well, another example we found is this 'Betty Crocker Twice Baked Bacon and Cheddar Potatoes'," said Gudeux.

Without a close look, you could easily miss the words "Artificially Flavored" on the package just underneath "Bacon."

"There's actually no bacon in the bacon and cheddar potatoes," said Gudeux.

White Chocolate Jello Pudding is another "fake food" offender. Thanks to artificial coloring, it's the color of white chocolate. But cocoa butter, the key ingredient in white chocolate, is nowhere to be found.

And Royal has an imposter pudding. This time it's pistachio -- or is it? The pistachio flavor is artificial. And as for those nuts, well, they're almonds.

"One of the most extreme examples I've ever seen is the Jolly Time Blast-o-butter Popcorn," said Gudeux.

The box says it's "the most buttery." In fact, it's "butter-riffic." And, according to the "butter-meter," it's off the charts. So Erin was confused when she found there is no butter in the popcorn at all.

'Faux' food

Consumer Reports says some food products aren't as real as they appear to be. Instead, you'll find partially-hydrogenated soybean oil.

"These companies aren't doing anything illegal. They are following labeling regulations. It just means that the consumer has to do a bit more work," said Gudeux.

So the next time you're in the supermarket, you'll want to check labels closely to be sure of what you're really getting.

If you see an ad or a product claim that raises questions for you, you can send a copy to Consumer Reports, 101 Truman Avenue, Yonkers, NY, to the attention of "Selling It".

http://www.news24houston.com/content/features/consumer_reports/?ArID=24122&SecID=118

Jolie Rouge
02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
very interesting -- thanks for posting

stresseater
02-27-2004, 12:46 AM
And people don't understand why as a whole we are becomming less healthy every year.;) ;) ;)

heartlvrs
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
BUMP

Jenniferj
02-27-2004, 05:39 PM
lol I have to watch labels carefully anyway b/c i have lots of food allergies - you wouldn't believe the things I can't eat b/c eeeeeeeeeeverything has either corn or soy it seems!!