PDA

View Full Version : social security question

Nanc952
02-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Trying to help a friend (they don't have computer) and not having any luck finding what need so turned here hoping for help.

How much money do you have to earn before you earn a credit toward social secuity.
Was able to find that you can only earn 4 credits a year but can't find out the dollar amount.

I know it used to be around $800.00 per credit but do anyone know what the amount is now. HELP
Thaks in advance.

spyfox
02-26-2004, 12:00 AM
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps6/isss/bp-7004home.jsp

belleofpa
02-26-2004, 06:25 AM
If you call SS they will send you the form that tells you what you will get as of now, and what your estimated SS will be at your retiring age. Its really easy to do, and most of the people there are pretty nice to deal with.

Nanc952
02-26-2004, 09:29 AM
spyfox I can't get the link to work. Help

belleofpa they will send you a form telling what credits you have but what she is looking for to is to find out how much money you need to earn before you get a credit.

Not wanting to post a friends personal infomation but they are self employed and wanting to retire have been told not enough credits but no one will tell him how much he has to earn to get a credit. He is in poor health and each day is a stuggle to get to do but will stick it out till he has enough credits. So looking for the dollar amount to earn a credit. The person we are talking about is 66 now.

Any help appreciated.

nanajoanie
02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Just call your local SS office and explain things to them. That's what I had to do when Tice (my soulmate) died in Dec. I wanted his SS instead of mine and they mailed me papers to sign and mail back. They also used to send us a yearly report as to how much we would get if we retired now, next year, years from now, etc. They really work with you.

Eyore
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
In 2004, you receive one credit for each $900 of earnings, up to the maximum of four credits per year.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10072.html

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

flute
02-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Remember, teachers in 12 states aren't allowed to recieve SS, even if it's off the spouse! (unless you've put in 20 years into paying ss, then you get it off of self, like $175/month, NEVER off of spouse!)
CA & MO are this way, 10 other are that way too!

spyfox
02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Request a Social Security Statement
This service is available (Eastern Time):
Monday through Friday - All Day (except 2:00 am - 3:00 am)
Saturday 5:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Sunday 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Holidays 5:00 AM - 11:00 PM
The Social Security Statement is a valuable document that estimates your future Social Security benefits and tells you how to qualify for those benefits.
This service allows you to transmit your request for a Social Security Statement using an online form. At present, however, we do not send your statement information back on the Internet. Instead, you will receive a response to your request by U.S. mail in 2-4 weeks.

Your Social Security Statement will include:
A record of your earnings history and an estimate of how much you and your employer paid in Social Security taxes ; and
Estimates of benefits you (and your family) may be eligible for now and in the future.

To request your Social Security Statement, you will need:
Your name as shown on your Social Security Card
Your Social Security Number
Your date of birth
Your place of birth
Your mother's maiden name- last name only (to help identify you)

Optional:
It will help us give you better benefit estimates if you also give us:

Your last years' earnings and an estimate of your current and future earnings
Age at which you plan to stop work

Some words about security:
SSA takes numerous steps to keep your accounts and personal information secure, but you also play a role in maintaining the security of your information. Here's what you can do:
You may not always be at your own computer when you request a Social Security Statement. Therefore, it's important to exit your browser when you're finished so that others cannot see the information that you have entered.
We recommend that you use the built-in security features that Web browsers provide. Choosing certain security settings and options will help protect the privacy of your personal information. Security settings on your browser vary depending on whether you are using a Netscape or Microsoft product and by version of these browsers. For more information consult the Help files of your browser software.

If you are not comfortable with sending information to us on the Internet, you may download the Social Security Statement request form (SSA-7004) and mail it to the address on the form.

Want More Information?
If you have more questions about the Internet request for a Social Security Statement, read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Request Your Social Security Statement Now
If you want to request a Statement using the Internet, simply select the button below and we will take you to the Online request form. You will receive your Statement through regular mail in about 2-4 weeks.
Please Note: If you are automatically receiving a Social Security Statement about three months before your birthday each year, this request will stop your next scheduled mailing. You won't receive another automatic Statement until the following year.

Nanc952
02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the board Eyore and yes that was what we were looking for the dollar amount.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
I love this board everybody helps everyone out.:) :) :)

nanajoanie
02-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Yes welcome to BBS Eyore. I'm sure you will have a blast here:)

Eyore
02-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Nanc952 glad to be able to help. Thanks for the welcome also from you and nanajoanie.