PDA

View Full Version : Do You Eat Helpers????

Unicornmom77
02-18-2004, 02:28 PM
LIke Tuna and Hamburger Helpers??

We eat chessy noodle Tuna heler and all kinds of Hamburger helper!! One of my favorites is Stroganoff.

I love Tuna helper, all kinds, its so fast!!

I also make my own tuna helper, Noodles boiled, add cream of soup, and tuna and a can of milk (soup can) and salt n pepper, YUMMY!!

SO DO YOU EAT TUNA HELPER OR HAMBURGER HELPER??

AND DO YOU MAKE IT DIFFERENTLY THAN THE DIRECTIONS???? My mom boils the noodles first for hamburger helper, she thinks its better that way! WHAT DO YOU DO TO MAKE IT TASTE BETTER???

ANy info will be greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

~Wendy

ShelleyG
02-18-2004, 02:29 PM
hmm both LOL I like to add veggies to the tuna ones and the cheesy ones (ok so im addicted to green beans LOL)

Jolie Rouge
02-18-2004, 02:32 PM
by the time I have finished "helping" the Helper it can taste totally different. Sauted onions, pressed garlic, tomatoes, Tony's, Tiger Sauce, frozen veggies, cheeses ... it all depends on what is on hand and what I am in the mood for ...

cleaningla
02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
I used to make them. Oldest ds loved them, but my younger son has never liked them. Since there is to much for one person, I stopped buying them.

Potato stroganoff was my favorite. :)

catssass
02-18-2004, 02:42 PM
We love most of the "Helpers".. our favorite is the "Cheesy Hashbrown" and yes I doctor up most of the with add-ins, seasonings and toppings. MMMmmmm good!

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
yeppers, I make the "helpers". My kids love the tuna helper...AAKKK not me (but I like tuna,lol,what's up with that??)

I LOVE the potato stroganoff,kids like the cheese burger,chili mac.

I have noticed alot of new ones, anyone try any new ones?? I have made the meatloaf helper,not bad,comes with mashed potatoes too..I add sour cream to them :p

I also add things on occasion :D

monii222
02-18-2004, 02:51 PM
my hubby loves hamburger helper. he always buys stuff for me to make that comes in a box. So that is why always gotta ask how to make stuff. LOL. Cookbooks I guess I need cookbooks. LOL

amysusi
02-18-2004, 02:55 PM
I love that they are easy to make. But we haven't had it alot lately, I was getting sick of it (still am kinda). The only time we have tuna helper is if DH is not here for dinner. He absolutely refuses to eat tuna any other way than tuna salad. He's good about trying new stuff usually, but sometimes his pickiness is worse than our 13 month old daughter's. (ie: soup - "it's for sissies" :rolleyes: )

ezmoney163
02-18-2004, 03:02 PM
I love stroganoff helpers. I really never added anything to it except a little extra sour cream or milk. Tuna helper I am not a tuna person so no haven't made it in years LOL

Jojaby
02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
I got tired of the hamburger helper varieties.

I used to love tuna helper but hubby won't eat it and the creamy broccoli chicken helper is good. I'm trying to go vegetarian for health reasons though.

JazzMama
02-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Never eaten Tuna Helper - DD can't stand the smell of anything tuna-related...LOL

However, we are addicted to Hamburger and Chicken Helpers. I really like the Chicken pasta dinners, the new mexican line of hamburger, and the stroganoff, and the romanoff, and the cheeseburger macaroni, and the ... well, you get the idea!!

sandytrap
02-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm with Jazzmama, tuna makes me gag...don't really know why...possibly the smell and the taste...lol I love those hamburger helper ones though. MMMmm...man, now i am craving it. LOL Thanks a lot girl! We usually prepare those things exactly like they say,...so can't help you much with new ideas. We're pretty basic here lately...ramen, pasta...etc. Not very much variety i guess, but it works and it's fairly tasty!

BigLyd1
02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
I love the Tuna Helper Creamy Broccoli. It may not sound that great but it's my favorite. I bought the Stroganoff Hamburger Helper recently... great price. I haven't tried it but figured it must be good since they were almost out of that one. I usually add some extra pasta to the dishes to make it enough for three hearty eaters.

justbeachy
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
We do not eat the helpers anymore but I've heard that they are much better than they used to be.

laughsalot
02-18-2004, 03:29 PM
I love all the helpers!! My hubby doesnt like them all that well so its usually only every couple of months that I can make it and him not put up a fuss. I love the tuna helpers too. :D

Whitequeen39
02-18-2004, 03:30 PM
My fav is the alfredo or parmesan and then I add a bunch of fresh veggies like broc, zuc, mush, onion, celery, gr. and/or red pepper then I use the oven method instead of the stovetop one. I sprinkle bread crumbs on top and fresh ground pepper the last few minutes. I also like some of the hamburger ones, but I have so many good gr. beef recipes I don't use the hamburger helpers much. I usually prefer cooking from scratch but love these things for last minute meals!

cch
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Heck yeah I LOVE hamburger helper! It's so much easier to fix that while trying to keep the older kids out of the kitchen and carry the baby around than trying to cook from scratch! I can't stand hamburger or tuna though, so I use canned chicken (you can find it right above the tuna fish in the grocery store). Our grocery store doesn't carry the acutal chicken helper anymore, so I just use the hamburger kind. I always fix it according to the cooking instructions, but always add extras (veggies/cheese/potatoes/etc). Hubby likes the beef noodle best over a big helping of cheesy mashed potatoes (YUCK!). I fix a lot of casseroles too (basically the same thing as boxed helper meals only cooked in the oven so I have to watch it even less).

JKATHERINE
02-18-2004, 04:02 PM
We eat the Chesseburger Macaroni and the Creamy Tuna Helper. I love both, but they give me indigestion since they both contain MSG. Just a suggestion while we're on the topic of these, measure out the noodles then add the same amount of your own to double the serving size. It still tastes the same and we always have leftovers for my DH's lunch. Just another way to spread the money thin...

becca_joy
02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I love them all,they are quick and easy :)

Lora_1994
02-18-2004, 04:21 PM
we usually eat the taco hamburger helper. I was just asking my son after school if he wanted some of it. ..lol

I dont much care for the rest, I have to be in the "mood" for it..lo

MamaFairal
02-18-2004, 05:00 PM
If ya like Hamburger helper ya gotta try the .......

Chef Boyardi(sp?)meals in a box........YUM YUM!

Anthill
02-18-2004, 05:47 PM
I always buy the hamburger and chicken helper. We did try the meatloaf one it was good. As for Tuna helper NO WAY. I don't like tuna cold nor do I like it hot. Infact my MIL made a Tuna casserole and I didn't want to offend her and say I don't like it, so I ate a little bit, but I swallowed the spoonfuls whole and would drink alot of water with it. That had to be the grossest thing I ever had in my mouth.

When I do make helpers, I will add sour cream, chedder cheese, corn parmesian cheese.

evrita
02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
I used to eat them all the time now I have some I bought and they are sitting there havent eaten them I like them all hamburger chicken and tuna and I have also put green beans in mine lol

twinkiesmom
02-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes, we eat all the Helpers here. The cheesy noodles tuna helper I make w/canned ham. (comes in about the same size can as tuna) So it's like a ham n cheezy noodle dish. I always add extra pasta also. If u have a Meijer by u, I think all the Helpers are on sale this week for a buck apiece.

justme23
02-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't like Tuna, so we don't eat tuna helpers... but we used to eat alot of Hamburger Helper... the only thing I do is put about 1/4 cup less water than the box asks for cause I don't like soupy helper.

cadwellm
02-18-2004, 08:12 PM
When my son was little we used helper but when he got so big I had to use 2 boxes at a time that was the end of that. I've since found that I can make the same dishes from scratch that cost a lot less and take about the same amount of time so we no longer buy helper of any kind.

ocvachick
02-18-2004, 08:30 PM
No one here will eat them but me.. so sometimes I go to my Grandparents and eat it with them... we like the hamburger ones.

YankeeMary
02-18-2004, 09:15 PM
They have a lasanga one that is to die for...also I like to make a box of regular mac n cheese add a can of drained tuna and a can of drained peas...yummmy and fun cause the boys hate peas and they pick each one out...lol...

CHERNL
02-19-2004, 08:19 AM
4 Cheese Lasagne is the only hamburger one we eat. I used to love the Tuna Pot Pie but can't find it any more. Tuna Helper Oven Classic Tuna Casserole is my favorite now, but I add more tuna (2 cans instead of 1), noodles, and cheese, and frozen peas when I make it, and it can be made with the canned chicken. The sauces taste better than I can get from soup. Now I want one, but it is 9am and not tuna time!

Unicornmom77
02-19-2004, 01:59 PM
lol CHERNL! nOT TNA TIME HA HA

Thanks for all the ideas guys!! I am gonna try some of them, I am deffinatly gonna try adding more noodles!! I never thought about it!

ttistin
02-19-2004, 02:10 PM
yea we like the helpers, I havent tried the chicken kind yet. looks like I am going to have too thou lol A lot of good ideas here, thanks!! I am going to have to remember to add extra noodles to it too, good idea

fatesfaery
02-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I was about 11-12 when hamburger helper came out. I swear we had a different flavor every night. I can't stand it, Dh and DD don't like it either, so we don't buy it.

THEpouty1
02-19-2004, 03:32 PM
My family and I like some of them (not the tuna though), but we only have them maybe 1x month. It's just so easy when there's no time to plan, or when plans get messed up. :D

kelly12569
02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
ALL OF THE "HELPERS" ARE CURRENTLY ON SALE AT MEIJER FOR 4 FOR $4.00 !!!

plus our Kroger and Walmart both take their adds!!! Thats an awesome buy!!!

kelly12569
02-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Also wanted to add that sometimes we make our own helpers. Like with the Liptons noodles n sauce, rice n sauce, etc. We add tuna to the noodle dishes, etc.

As a matter of fact tonight we are having Lipton Rice n Sauce Fiesta side dishes... Taco Rice and I am adding hamburger to it. Top it with a lil sour cream and whala! YUM YUM

Gumball1960
02-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Has anyone tried the new Pork Helpers? I love the Pork Fried Rice they have. :) I add some extra Minute Rice & some pea pods to it. It's really good!

Ladytiger
02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge
by the time I have finished "helping" the Helper it can taste totally different. Sauted onions, pressed garlic, tomatoes, Tony's, Tiger Sauce, frozen veggies, cheeses ... it all depends on what is on hand and what I am in the mood for ...

LOL-same here! Believe me, there will come a time, when Hamburger Helper, and Tuna Helper will turn your stomach! Enjoy it while you can Haha.
I always added peas to the Tuna Helpers, and mushroom, peppers and sometimes onions to the beef ones.