PDA

View Full Version : Oh my!!

EgHunny
02-17-2004, 01:52 PM
I thought my mom was joking, about her cockatiel laying an egg. We always thought it was a male, but boy were we wrong. We have had her for 5 yrs. Its the cutest egg I have ever seen. But I know there will be no baby :( because there is no male around to help fertilize it. So I am trying to convince my mom to get a male :D Its just exciting... Sorry guys...

YankeeMary
02-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Wow that is exciting now what will you name the female...lol.

EgHunny
02-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Well since we thought it was a boy we named it Sammy, but we are just going to call her Sam, because thats the only name she knows LOL... But I guess you learn something new everyday :D

YankeeMary
02-17-2004, 02:07 PM
That very fortunate...it could stand for Samantha that way no one will ever have to know...lol..

nanajoanie
02-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I've read in my wild bird books that once a female has mated, they can choose when to lay the egg. It's something to do with the survival of the species for when the mate is gone. An example is the bluebirds that nest in our yard every year. They mate several times and sometimes we find the male dead by the neighbor cats. But several months later the female will lay the eggs in the nest and still have 4-5 babies. Such a joy to watch nature.

EgHunny
02-17-2004, 02:38 PM
WOW.. kind of makes me think if these eggs will hatch... she was with a whole bunch of other cockatiels when we adopted her hmmm....

evrita
02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
The eggs wont hatch and if you take it out of the cage before it leaves it alone it will keep laying more and more. If you leave it in the vage until it fells she is done with it then she wont lay anymore